The Student Room Group

Stuff to do in summer?

I'm in year 11 (or was) and so I have a really long summer. To be honest, I don't really know what to do, all my friends are either away or not free to go out and I don't have much to do (for example chores & housework). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or how to spend my summer?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You should volounteer or get some work experience.
Original post by honeybee1
I'm in year 11 (or was) and so I have a really long summer. To be honest, I don't really know what to do, all my friends are either away or not free to go out and I don't have much to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or how to spend my summer?

Hey, I'm in the exact same situation as you. For starters, I've been:
-finishing PLL
-watching Love Island
-watching loads of movies
-making checklists for things I need for next year
-buying all my stationery (it's way cheaper rn because it's not school season)
-buying clothes for next year
-making internet friends
-reading books
-deciding on my a-level subjects
-finding the specification for those subjects and organising myself

Edit: I'm also about to do some work experience at my local hospital (hopefully, if they accept my form) but I'd have to give my form in a few weeks since I'm not 16 yet
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by anemoneblanda
You should volounteer or get some work experience.

Do you think it's too late to apply for work experience?
Reply 4
That's a good idea!!
Play video games, go outside into the scary world ( ☹️), I'm in Year 12 and spent my summer playing Rainbow Six Siege, 2weeks in USA and did NCS. Do anything just don't think about school-please. You've (probably) worked your behind off for the past few months, take a break and chill. A-Levels are manageable but you won't get another chance to just kick back and do NOTHING for a while (until the end of Year 13 summer)
Reply 6
Original post by notgonnasaymisha
Hey, I'm in the exact same situation as you. For starters, I've been:
-finishing PLL
-watching Love Island
-watching loads of movies
-making checklists for things I need for next year
-buying all my stationery (it's way cheaper rn because it's not school season)
-buying clothes for next year
-making internet friends
-reading books
-deciding on my a-level subjects
-finding the specification for those subjects and organising myself

Edit: I'm also about to do some work experience at my local hospital (hopefully, if they accept my form) but I'd have to give my form in a few weeks since I'm not 16 yet

Sounds like you've been quite productive :biggrin: Those ideas are good I might have to steal some :smile:
When did you hand in your form? I think I want to do work experience, but I don't know whether it's too late because I would have to do it like next week or the week after as I go on holiday and then I've got ncs :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by turtleback
Play video games, go outside into the scary world ( ☹️), I'm in Year 12 and spent my summer playing Rainbow Six Siege, 2weeks in USA and did NCS. Do anything just don't think about school-please. You've (probably) worked your behind off for the past few months, take a break and chill. A-Levels are manageable but you won't get another chance to just kick back and do NOTHING for a while (until the end of Year 13 summer)

Haha! Yes I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks & then I'm doing ncs, but now I have lots of free time so I don't really know what to do :biggrin:
Yes I have, it was so tiring but I've all rested up now, just hoping it has paid off :smile:. I'm trying not to think about results day, to be honest my gcses just felt like mocks when I was doing them & now I feel like I never actually did them which is so weird! I'm dreading a levels if I'm honest, I can't decide on the subjects I'm going to take, I keep changing my mind! I'm just trying to relax and have the best summer I can before the hardest (apparently) 2 years of my life :biggrin:
Reply 8
That's a good idea!!

You could try to volunteer somewhere, or get a part time weekend job somewhere. However, it's mid summer now, and most work experience placements will be gone because they take some time to organise.

For example, University internships/placements, they want people to apply well before May, and some organisations even consider people even more in advanced than that. I know you are not a University but I just wanted to explain that.

Apart from that, I suppose you just have to keep busy, right? Don't fall into bad sleeping routine, do some readings, play video games, go out and explore other places outside your local catchment area.
Don't worry I was bricking it before I started A-Levels but they're fine. A lot of people use fear mongering about how you have to do all this extra reading and extra work but as I found out mainly just taking great care in your homework will go a long way. A year 13 told me that at the start of the year and I didn't think much of it but found myself thinking more actively about the homework I was doing rather than just trying to rush it. I get ABB in my mocks without doing lots of extra work or past papers. So don't worry they're manageable so long as you care and act dilligently around them.

But they don't start until September! Maybe even replay Pokémon Go (I took my dogs on so many longer walks last summer)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by .A_C.
You could try to volunteer somewhere, or get a part time weekend job somewhere. However, it's mid summer now, and most work experience placements will be gone because they take some time to organise.

For example, University internships/placements, they want people to apply well before May, and some organisations even consider people even more in advanced than that. I know you are not a University but I just wanted to explain that.

Apart from that, I suppose you just have to keep busy, right? Don't fall into bad sleeping routine, do some readings, play video games, go out and explore other places outside your local catchment area.

Yes I think I have left it too late because I'm busy pretty much the whole of August, so it would have to be next week or the week after. :frown: I'm gutted because I should've known that this summer would be perfect to do work experience/volunteer (although I have already done some volunteering) for my ucas statement/CV. At least I have learnt my lesson for next summer when I'm applying for uni open days & internships :s-smilie:.
I have been doing reading, seeing friends (before they were all busy/went away), researching a levels etc to keep myself busy and not waste the summer.
Reply 11
Original post by turtleback
Don't worry I was bricking it before I started A-Levels but they're fine. A lot of people use fear mongering about how you have to do all this extra reading and extra work but as I found out mainly just taking great care in your homework will go a long way. A year 13 told me that at the start of the year and I didn't think much of it but found myself thinking more actively about the homework I was doing rather than just trying to rush it. I get ABB in my mocks without doing lots of extra work or past papers. So don't worry they're manageable so long as you care and act dilligently around them.

But they don't start until September! Maybe even replay Pokémon Go (I took my dogs on so many longer walks last summer)

Ah ok thanks for the reassurance. I have heard loads about how you have to do extra reading/work, keeping up with notes and constantly revising. Also the fact that they are just so extremely difficult and challenging. I've tried not to think about it too much and just focus on the subjects I want too do by researching them etc.
That's true & I had so much fun with pokémon go last summer :biggrin:
Reply 12
Yes I think I have left it too late because I'm busy pretty much the whole of August, so it would have to be next week or the week after. :frown: I'm gutted because I should've known that this summer would be perfect to do work experience/volunteer (although I have already done some volunteering) for my ucas statement/CV. At least I have learnt my lesson for next summer when I'm applying for uni open days & internships :s-smilie:.
I have been doing reading, seeing friends (before they were all busy/went away), researching a levels etc to keep myself busy and not waste the summer.

I wouldn't worry at all! You have plenty of time to get experience. I am in my second year at University, and I have only had one paid job so far, and I feel worried about applying for an internship next year. Although, I have some volunteering to discuss, I have been to a summer school which built my skills and I am about to help out a PhD student this month to collect data.

When you apply to UCAS, all they want to see is that you are genuinely interested in the degree you have chosen, and that you would be the right choice. The extra curricular and jobs don't count as much - but for paid job applicants they mean more.

I have nothing planned for the next week and a bit, so I am kinda at a loose end - I live in a small town so there isn't a wide array of things to do..
a list of stuff you could try:

get a job and earn a bit of money, if you swim you can do a course at the pool and become a lifeguard it is decent pay i get 7 pound an hour for 2 hours a week (or do a paper round, car wash, sell something on ebay etc)
do up ur room. buy some decorations in poundland or somewhere and put them up. tidy it and organise stuff differently. put posters up or paint the walls.
sleep.
cook for ur family.
volunteer at st johns ambulance, dog shelter, old peoples home, or wherever
go out with a mate who's free
write a book
buy some new clothes
watch love island to pass the time
go on holiday
start a diary
cause a scandal for a bit of drama
go litter picking. get a cheap litter picker around £10 in boots (in the old people section) and go around ur area picking up litter with a bin bag. helps the environment
cook for a homeless shelter
post someone a letter
become instagram famous
start a blog or vlog
make clothes you can look online for patterns
learn a language on duolingo. i started russian a few days ago am already pretty good. it's free

hope ur not too bored
alienvoid x
Reply 14
Original post by .A_C.
I wouldn't worry at all! You have plenty of time to get experience. I am in my second year at University, and I have only had one paid job so far, and I feel worried about applying for an internship next year. Although, I have some volunteering to discuss, I have been to a summer school which built my skills and I am about to help out a PhD student this month to collect data.

When you apply to UCAS, all they want to see is that you are genuinely interested in the degree you have chosen, and that you would be the right choice. The extra curricular and jobs don't count as much - but for paid job applicants they mean more.

I have nothing planned for the next week and a bit, so I am kinda at a loose end - I live in a small town so there isn't a wide array of things to do..

I hope so I mean I have next summer which obviously isn't as long and I'm going to be busier, but still I will definitely be doing something next summer to build up my CV & statement a bit.
Yes that sounds interesting, also it's a bit different. Did you have the paid job when you were doing A levels? I'd so did you find it difficult to balance school & work? Thanks for letting me know about the ucas, I though you were supposed to have a long list of things you had done :biggrin:
Same, for the next 2 weeks I've got nothing planned plus some of my friends are still away, but oh well I'm sure I'll find something… :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by alienvoid
a list of stuff you could try:

get a job and earn a bit of money, if you swim you can do a course at the pool and become a lifeguard it is decent pay i get 7 pound an hour for 2 hours a week (or do a paper round, car wash, sell something on ebay etc)
do up ur room. buy some decorations in poundland or somewhere and put them up. tidy it and organise stuff differently. put posters up or paint the walls.
sleep.
cook for ur family.
volunteer at st johns ambulance, dog shelter, old peoples home, or wherever
go out with a mate who's free
write a book
buy some new clothes
watch love island to pass the time
go on holiday
start a diary
cause a scandal for a bit of drama
go litter picking. get a cheap litter picker around £10 in boots (in the old people section) and go around ur area picking up litter with a bin bag. helps the environment
cook for a homeless shelter
post someone a letter
become instagram famous
start a blog or vlog
make clothes you can look online for patterns
learn a language on duolingo. i started russian a few days ago am already pretty good. it's free

hope ur not too bored
alienvoid x

Wow thanks for all your suggestions! I will definitely be trying some of them. I hope I'm not too bored too :biggrin:
well i haven't handed it in yet since I'm not 16 until next tuesday and you've got to be 16 at the hospital i want to do it in & go ahead :smile:
Sounds like you've been quite productive :biggrin: Those ideas are good I might have to steal some :smile:
When did you hand in your form? I think I want to do work experience, but I don't know whether it's too late because I would have to do it like next week or the week after as I go on holiday and then I've got ncs :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Original post by notgonnasaymisha
well i haven't handed it in yet since I'm not 16 until next tuesday and you've got to be 16 at the hospital i want to do it in & go ahead :smile:

Oh right, well happy birthday for Tuesday & good luck for getting your work experience placement :biggrin: did you just go into your local hospital and ask about it?:smile:
Have you decided what you're going to put on it?
Ah ok thanks for the reassurance. I have heard loads about how you have to do extra reading/work, keeping up with notes and constantly revising. Also the fact that they are just so extremely difficult and challenging. I've tried not to think about it too much and just focus on the subjects I want too do by researching them etc.
That's true & I had so much fun with pokémon go last summer :biggrin:

I've just finished my AS year (year 12) so last summer I was in your shoes.
I wasn't worrying about the extra reading however the jump from GCSE to A-Levels is bigger than expected.
Choosing topics that you love will of course help you succeed greatly however please proceed cautiously.
I've been getting AAA and I never seemed to stop working.
If you want to take essay based subjects I advise starting revision notes early to make room for practise papers nearer exam time.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest