The Student Room Group

Applying for a job before results day?

Basically my mum is really keen for me to find work but I think I should wait until September as I will not be able to work much over summer anyway due to holidays.

I have just finished my GCSEs in year 11 and plan to work part time during college. To me it makes much more sense to wait until after results day when I'll have at least some qualifications (my grades are likely to be very strong as in As and A*s) since I don't plan on working in summer anyway? However my mum seems to think it is important I apply now before all places are taken or something.

Am I being crazy or should I wait until the end of summer to start applying?
Original post by Student00221
Basically my mum is really keen for me to find work but I think I should wait until September as I will not be able to work much over summer anyway due to holidays.

I have just finished my GCSEs in year 11 and plan to work part time during college. To me it makes much more sense to wait until after results day when I'll have at least some qualifications (my grades are likely to be very strong as in As and A*s) since I don't plan on working in summer anyway? However my mum seems to think it is important I apply now before all places are taken or something.

Am I being crazy or should I wait until the end of summer to start applying?

It depends what job you are applying for. If its retail then they are unlikely to require any qualification, but at a push Maths and English. They can sometimes make you do a short test. You can simply put on your CV your GCSE's and that the results are pending. I dont think its a bad idea to have one lined up. If you only want to start in September then dont forget the recruitment process can take some time, plus you dont know how easy it will be.

If you want to placate your mum, just send some applications off. Take a break though and reach a compromise with her.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
It depends what job you are applying for. If its retail then they are unlikely to require any qualification, but at a push Maths and English. They can sometimes make you do a short test. You can simply put on your CV your GCSE's and that the results are pending. I dont think its a bad idea to have one lined up. If you only want to start in September then dont forget the recruitment process can take some time, plus you dont know how easy it will be.

If you want to placate your mum, just send some applications off. Take a break though and reach a compromise with her.

Good point, maybe I'll start a cv and send a few off but I'll work in it over summer as I'll also get a chance to do things like work experience over summer to make it look better. I'm not too concerned about starting in September but rather to start looking for work then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending