The Student Room Group

How to learn a language?

I have been using Duolingo to try and learn Turkish, I have used it for 30mins-an hour a day for about a week whilst listening to a little bit of Turkish music also. I feel as if I am not making great progress however.

What else should I use?

Making notes alongside the app? Or.. I don't really know. Aha

I appreciate I can't be skilled in a matter of weeks but would like to be able to hold conversations and understand a fair bit as half my family is Turkish and I go there annually. In two weeks this year for three weeks.

Thanks in advance.
Continue with Duolingo, and preferably ramp it up to an hour everyday; half an hour of revising everything you've done so far and half an hour continuing the course. With languages the start is the hardest, but once you got the basics (which duolingo covers) mastered, then it becomes easier. You should be able to understand basic conversations by this point, so then you should try and upgrade to reading simple Turkish books and watching Turkish tv programmes without subtitles.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest taking a Turkish course instead as that would greatly help with the basics, although it can be time consuming and costly. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Metalfros
Continue with Duolingo, and preferably ramp it up to an hour everyday; half an hour of revising everything you've done so far and half an hour continuing the course. With languages the start is the hardest, but once you got the basics (which duolingo covers) mastered, then it becomes easier. You should be able to understand basic conversations by this point, so then you should try and upgrade to reading simple Turkish books and watching Turkish tv programmes without subtitles.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest taking a Turkish course instead as that would greatly help with the basics, although it can be time consuming and costly. Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks. Would you use Duolingo to review or go back to make notes? With watching and reading (more so watching), is it best to just watch or constantly look up words to piece together knowledge? I say more so watching as with reading a kids book or whatever it is easy to look up a word.

--

I see Madden.. have you seen Medici: Masters of Florence? :P
Original post by Chichaldo
Thanks. Would you use Duolingo to review or go back to make notes? With watching and reading (more so watching), is it best to just watch or constantly look up words to piece together knowledge? I say more so watching as with reading a kids book or whatever it is easy to look up a word.

--

I see Madden.. have you seen Medici: Masters of Florence? :P

Yea, Duolingo is great for that. When I used it for German, I remember quite a bit. It is just me being a lazy **** that I am not able to fluently speak it yet.

Yep, well only halfway through the series and haven't been watching recently. Although I have been reading up quite a bit on the Italian renaissance recently so I may go back soon to it. He was great in GOT, a shame he'd to go fairly soon.
Reply 4
Original post by Metalfros
Yea, Duolingo is great for that. When I used it for German, I remember quite a bit. It is just me being a lazy **** that I am not able to fluently speak it yet.

Yep, well only halfway through the series and haven't been watching recently. Although I have been reading up quite a bit on the Italian renaissance recently so I may go back soon to it. He was great in GOT, a shame he'd to go fairly soon.

Orchestrator of his downfall for not marrying Roslin Frey! Shame because I love Alexandra Dowling as an actress and she might've been in it more. xD
Borgia is a great show for Renaissance Italy (the Netflix one with John Doman). Should give it a bash, I liked the rest of Medici also. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending