The Student Room Group

Snapchat virus

Hello. Recently there's been a snapchat virus link thingy going round. I opened mine when a friend sent it because o hadn't heard there's a virus going round. I typed my email and password in, but my iPad warned me that it was dodgey website so I didn't continue. Will the virus still be able to get details from my iPad, like credit card information? I'm just really worried.

Thank you in advance.
Probably
Reply 2
Original post by WhitlockE
Hello. Recently there's been a snapchat virus link thingy going round. I opened mine when a friend sent it because o hadn't heard there's a virus going round. I typed my email and password in, but my iPad warned me that it was dodgey website so I didn't continue. Will the virus still be able to get details from my iPad, like credit card information? I'm just really worried.

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like it was a phishing website, not actually a virus. If you pressed Enter so that your details were actually submitted, then the people behind the dodgy website will have them and you should change them. But I very much doubt that it was actually a virus.
Reply 3
Original post by Sint
Sounds like it was a phishing website, not actually a virus. If you pressed Enter so that your details were actually submitted, then the people behind the dodgy website will have them and you should change them. But I very much doubt that it was actually a virus.

Thank you for your reply. No I typed them then pressed enter. It then said are you sure you want to continue, this is not a trust worthy website. I selected no. But I'm still unsure 😕

Thank you in advance.

Hopefully, erm I mean yeah probably.... should give up social media...
Reply 5
Thank you for your reply. No I typed them then pressed enter. It then said are you sure you want to continue, this is not a trust worthy website. I selected no. But I'm still unsure 😕

What info did you type in? Was it your Apple account details? There are lots of websites that try to get that so then they can get your payment details etc. , or if it was your snapchat account then they probably intend to use your account as one to resend the 'virus' picture from.

I'm not sure if there are any antivirus apps for iPhones etc because they don't really get viruses, but if you manage to find one then I guess it wouldn't hurt downloading it and doing a scan.

Thank you in advance.

I've not heard of this problem recently sorry. The best way to stop this from happening is just don't click on any sites, and you may want to report this to Snapchat Support: http://support.snapchat.com/

I'd also like to suggest that you edit your privacy settings, in order to make sure no one you don't know tries to send you this link as well. NEVER type your personal information such as passwords without looking for a green bar or lock on the search bar, which indicates that the site is secure:

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 16.12.34.png

And also check the URL!!

This thread should be in the Mobile phones subform, which is found in the Tech forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there. :h:
Reply 7
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I've not heard of this problem recently sorry. The best way to stop this from happening is just don't click on any sites, and you may want to report this to Snapchat Support: http://support.snapchat.com/

I'd also like to suggest that you edit your privacy settings, in order to make sure no one you don't know tries to send you this link as well. NEVER type your personal information such as passwords without looking for a green bar or lock on the search bar, which indicates that the site is secure:

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 16.12.34.png

And also check the URL!!

This thread should be in the Mobile phones subform, which is found in the Tech forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there. :h:

Thank you for your advice! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest