Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    heya,
    im gonna be living in Oak house, can anyone suggest where i cud work, im living in fallowfield so anywhere near there is great.
    any numbers? advice? anything would be appreciated, cos the sooner i can apply....the better!!!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You could try supermarkets as they always need staff. I find this site a good source for student jobs

http://www.careers.salford.ac.uk/jstudent.htm

You will be lucky to get bar work in Fallowfield as everybody is after that, try the city centre, Chorlton or Didsbury as there are lots of bars there but the places are less studenty so they won't be such a surge of new comers looking for jobs. All those places are easy to get to from Fallowfield.

5th Ave always want staff but its a night club and working conditions will probably not be good.

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for ur help!
    i hope something comes up! a job would be handy...money is going to become an issue...being a student an all!

ReputationRep:
    is it not easier to get a retailing job in the city centre?
    i dont mind travelling, as long as its not at night.

if so, how can i apply now to shops in the city centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rups)
    is it not easier to get a retailing job in the city centre?
    i dont mind travelling, as long as its not at night.

if so, how can i apply now to shops in the city centre?
    You will be fine even traveling at night, the city centre is really where everything is at. I have waked through the city centre at night at 3:00am its very safe. You have to send off your CV in the jobs, just visit the shops and ask if they have any jobs going.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i was gonna do that anyway, but i thought if there was anywhere i cud apply to now, then i cud get the ball rolling, before the rest of the students come along!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rups)
    yeh i was gonna do that anyway, but i thought if there was anywhere i cud apply to now, then i cud get the ball rolling, before the rest of the students come along!
    why not come down to the day with like 50 CVs or so and try and cover a load of retail places?

ReputationRep:
    yeh my parents wont let me do that, im so busy b4 i go anyway i wont have time, i work everyday.
    thats why im looking online, but its not going well.
    If anyone has any phone numbers of places looking for vacancies, that'd be great!

ReputationRep:
    If you go like on the first couple of days im sure they'll be jobs at sainsburys and some bars in fallowfield - there alwyz seem to be a few places lookin 4 employees

ReputationRep:
    ur very knowledgable......very helpful, thankyou!
    i will be sure to do that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rups)
    heya,
    im gonna be living in Oak house, can anyone suggest where i cud work, im living in fallowfield so anywhere near there is great.
    any numbers? advice? anything would be appreciated, cos the sooner i can apply....the better!!!
    Thanks!
    You can get a good weekend job at Saisbury's in Fallowfield it should be pretty near!

ReputationRep:
    right thats so many ppl talking about sainsburys....im so getting a job there!

ReputationRep:
    i know theres a marriott hotel in manc - anyone know where it is? (and if their hiring atm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rups)
    right thats so many ppl talking about sainsburys....im so getting a job there!
    You mean you hope to get a job there? Don't forget with about 15,000 or more new students coming into a 5 mile radius part of Manchester a lot of people will have the same idea.

ReputationRep:
    from being up in manchester itself the last few weeks, and of cause going to uni there a week today, i can tell you that tesco in didsbury is on a student recruitment drive. there is a massive poster in the window. although didsbry is a few miles away from the main accommodation, it is located within 100 yards of the train station which is a few minutes ride.
    pay is average during the day time, but if you opt for the late night/early morning shifts (due to it being 24 hours), you will earn in excess of £11.00 an hour. i know this as i asked when in the shop.
    maybe i'll see some of you working there!

ReputationRep:
    Try the shopping centre at Salford quays as well as the Trafford Centre. Usually if you walk about town you can find places.

I have family in Manchester and always seem to see loadsa posters for part-time work! Really annoying cos theres hardly any in Middlesbrough!

I'm goin to York by the way but thought I'd help

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 8, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.