American has a question about the Grammar and spelling in a Personal Statement.

Watch
lsr_99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone, I am from America and applying to Universities in the UK. My question is: Should I use British Spelling and Grammar in my personal statement? Or am I allowed to use American Spelling and Grammar?
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good question.

I'd stick with using American-English because you could make mistakes in your personal statement which you may not notice.

Just my opinion.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lsr_99)
Hello everyone, I am from America and applying to Universities in the UK. My question is: Should I use British Spelling and Grammar in my personal statement? Or am I allowed to use American Spelling and Grammar?
The most important thing is that you stay consistent. So it's probably best that you use American grammar - it will be more natural for you, so you won't accidentally miss any changes.
lsr_99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
The most important thing is that you stay consistent. So it's probably best that you use American grammar - it will be more natural for you, so you won't accidentally miss any changes.
Awesome! Thank you. I have a grammar check system that I use for school and it has a British setting but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to use American grammar and if it would hurt me in any way.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Awesome! Thank you. I have a grammar check system that I use for school and it has a British setting but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to use American grammar and if it would hurt me in any way.
I disagree with the other posters, I think you should use British spelling, punctuation and grammar. You're applying to British institiutions, the essays you write on the course will be subject to the spelling, punctuation and grammar rules used in Britain, as that's how the assessment objectives and mark schemes will be written.

Examiners don't know your name or your background when they mark your papers (they're all marked annonymously), so to continue using American conventions when on the course will lose you marks as these things will be objectively wrong to the examiners. Your personal statement should reflect that you're aware you're applying for a British course and you know what will be expected of you throughout the degree.
psuspark
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wrote mine with American spelling. I might not realize I'm misspelling some words if I try to do British and it's obvious from my employment and pending qualifications I'm in US. If you stay consistent with American spelling, they'll notice it so it won't look like typos. Additionally, my computer's locale is set to American so that's what I get spellcheck for. You might also not realize your style is off.

Got offers from both places I applied!
lsr_99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glassapple)
I disagree with the other posters, I think you should use British spelling, punctuation and grammar. You're applying to British institiutions, the essays you write on the course will be subject to the spelling, punctuation and grammar rules used in Britain, as that's how the assessment objectives and mark schemes will be written.

Examiners don't know your name or your background when they mark your papers (they're all marked annonymously), so to continue using American conventions when on the course will lose you marks as these things will be objectively wrong to the examiners. Your personal statement should reflect that you're aware you're applying for a British course and you know what will be expected of you throughout the degree.
Well, I planned on using British Grammar and Spelling once in University (assuming I get in) but for the personal statement, I wasn't sure if it would hurt me if I wrote with American spelling and grammar.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wasn't sure if it would hurt me if I wrote with American spelling and grammar.
It is unlikely to. Just be aware that pants, rubbers, braces, suspenders, trolleys, chips, biscuits, checks, and purses are not what you may think they are.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you use American spellings and grammar correctly then this will be entirely congruent with your application as an International Student (American) - I see no problem with that.
psuspark
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
It is unlikely to. Just be aware that pants, rubbers, braces, suspenders, trolleys, chips, biscuits, checks, and purses are not what you may think they are.
100 Internet points to whoever manages to put all those words in their personal statement. 10 000 Internet points if they get offers.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by psuspark)
100 Internet points to whoever manages to put all those words in their personal statement. 10 000 Internet points if they get offers.
Materials science.

I was working in biscuitware when I realised that I wanted to study the effect that various rubbers can have on the effectiveness of braces and suspenders, and whether such items should be worn over or under pants. I also considered that designs in checks might be used to line purses. Another keen interest of mine is the study of trolley steering and how chips of rubber might allow greater control on wear in the steering mechanism.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Materials science.

I was working in biscuitware when I realised that I wanted to study the effect that various rubbers can have on the effectiveness of braces and suspenders, and whether such items should be worn over or under pants. I also considered that designs in checks might be used to line purses. Another keen interest of mine is the study of trolley steering and how chips of rubber might allow greater control on wear in the steering mechanism.
PRSOM :rofl:

PS - have you had a go at the Today programme's puzzle. My response to it: :headfire:
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
PRSOM :rofl:

PS - have you had a go at the Today programme's puzzle. My response to it: :headfire:
Where away?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where away?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...zzle-for-today
psuspark
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Materials science.

Cheap shot with the biscuitware, but Internet says it's a real thing, so you win.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was nowhere near the same wavelength of that puzzle.
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd recommend using British spelling and grammar and words. At University, you will actively lose marks for using non-British English, and British English on a personal statement just looks slicker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (291)
55.96%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise