Struggling with statistical analysis for Biology Extended Essay Watch

TheIBFailure
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So my EE supervisor is currently competing in an international sports competition so I thought I'd ask here.
I've been told its mandatory to include a statistics test within my EE, however I am not sure what one I can use. The data I have collected is in relation to the effect of salinity on a certain type of plant. I have changed the salinity of the growth medium and measured the length of the resulting shoots.
Any help much appreciated.
tchaikovskyed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It doesn't actually have to be that complicated. Simple statistics like mean, median or mode & standard deviation will be accepted.
parzi10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can also try using the T-Test - I found it very useful while writing my Biology EE.
dschramm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheIBFailure)
So my EE supervisor is currently competing in an international sports competition so I thought I'd ask here.
I've been told its mandatory to include a statistics test within my EE, however I am not sure what one I can use. The data I have collected is in relation to the effect of salinity on a certain type of plant. I have changed the salinity of the growth medium and measured the length of the resulting shoots.
Any help much appreciated.
I recently completed the IB program and did my EE in Biology as well!

It is highly recommended that you include a statistics test if you want to maximize your marks in the Biology Extended Essay. The statistical test that you use is going to depend on how many groups you want to compare. Because the data that you are using (length) is continuous, you would likely be using an unpaired T-Test to compare two means. This would occur if you had a control (say, 0% salinity) and "ocean water" (4% salinity). If you wanted to just compare these two together, T-Tests would be perfect.

If you're trying to compare multiple groups, (ie. there are more than two different salinities that you've created, maybe 0%, 2%, 4%, 6%, and 8%) this gets a lot trickier. You would likely be using ANOVA because it will consistently keep the confidence of the result at 95%. I used unpaired T-Tests in my extended essay, but ANOVA would have been just as good if I was comparing more than two groups. Check out the link here if you want to learn more about ANOVA.

Also, if you're comparing salinities across gradations rather than different salinity groups, you may want to use Pearson linear regression, and R-values for that. This would be if you had many different salinities each with respective stem lengths that you could plot on a graph. Typically, this would not be done in an experiment that you designed yourself.

Because there are so many statistical tests available, it's difficult to pinpoint which one is best from your question. From the sounds of it, I would recommend either unpaired T-Tests or ANOVA. Hopefully this has helped a bit in your decision!
Tutsani
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dschramm)
I recently completed the IB program and did my EE in Biology as well!

It is highly recommended that you include a statistics test if you want to maximize your marks in the Biology Extended Essay. The statistical test that you use is going to depend on how many groups you want to compare. Because the data that you are using (length) is continuous, you would likely be using an unpaired T-Test to compare two means. This would occur if you had a control (say, 0% salinity) and "ocean water" (4% salinity). If you wanted to just compare these two together, T-Tests would be perfect.

If you're trying to compare multiple groups, (ie. there are more than two different salinities that you've created, maybe 0%, 2%, 4%, 6%, and 8%) this gets a lot trickier. You would likely be using ANOVA because it will consistently keep the confidence of the result at 95%. I used unpaired T-Tests in my extended essay, but ANOVA would have been just as good if I was comparing more than two groups. Check out the link here if you want to learn more about ANOVA.

Also, if you're comparing salinities across gradations rather than different salinity groups, you may want to use Pearson linear regression, and R-values for that. This would be if you had many different salinities each with respective stem lengths that you could plot on a graph. Typically, this would not be done in an experiment that you designed yourself.

Because there are so many statistical tests available, it's difficult to pinpoint which one is best from your question. From the sounds of it, I would recommend either unpaired T-Tests or ANOVA. Hopefully this has helped a bit in your decision!
hi, it's been two years since you posted this but i'm doing my extended essay now and this is a huge help. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (390)
67.36%
No (189)
32.64%

Watched Threads