Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi- has anyone done S2-6 and can they tell me how they comapre with s1, im finkin of doing them all cos i wanna do a degree in economics. thanx

ReputationRep:
    I've only done S2. It wasn't that bad. S3 (Edexcel) apparently has coursework though, which is why I ended up doing 4 Mech modules and 2 Stats, rather than 3 of each.

ReputationRep:
    well squishy , i can only say two things to that:

either skip that unit (hehe)

or

what kind of coursework things do you do for that particular stats unit- ive only ever done gcse maths cwk andf that was sooo boring!!

u know any examples of investigations?

ReputationRep:
    They're cutting it down for the new syllabus as nobody takes the higher Stats papers. Anyway. Thay're boring as hell. S5 has a probability chapter which is the only good thing in anything outside S1 (which also has probability).

BTW. I haven't done them. I just know what's in them from looking around the maths dept store room.

ReputationRep:
    the S3 coursework is easy. all you need to do is to choose a piece which has enough statistical techniques required. it doesn't matter what sort of conclusions you get as long as you get the maths done properly

ReputationRep:
    well we're still gonna do the old syllabus- which is good because i'll be doing nov jan and june sits. Plus they have added a little bit more content in C1-4 than is in P1-3... As im doing maths and further maths (as well as economics), i'll probably do P1-6, D1-2 and S1-4. Afterall, in most chapters they just build on from the last one, hell i was looking at P2 at algebra and it was like near enough the same to P1!! hehe

ReputationRep:
    as long as you mean edexcel, S5 is very straightforward, S3 and S4 are technical but fairly easy as long as you memorise the technique. The worst part is the coursework, which is mind numbingly boring....

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA S1 and S2, both were pretty easy, easier than other additional units. Coursework was straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I taught myself all 6 stats modules for an extra level with the AQA board (Specification B) this year and got a high A with very little work. There is no coursework involved in this specification and the Heinemann books for this series are really helpful and self-explanatory. I find stats the easiest of the three maths, more direct application rather than actual thinking! Stats 1 and 2 was really dull, but the other four modules actually got quite interesting. For an economics degree, the more stats you do the better. mechanics has no relevance (except for stretching the ol' brain cells!)

Would highly recommend the AQA board if you are going to teach yourself since they have all their past papers and mark schemes free online. Plus, their papers are quite straightforward, ie. they don't try and trick you!

ReputationRep:
    im not self-teaching myself, and my college are using edexcel (purely so that we can sit exams in nov as well) So we'll probably do P1,2,S1,D1,M1 in Nov, S2,D2,M2 in Jan and P3,4,5,6 for June (my options may be a little different with doing lots of stats). I know we are going to be attempting to try and do all of them this year, so it'll be hard work.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that, it does sound like a lot of work...and other people have already answered, but I don't know about stats courseworks, since I chose to skip them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a stats man personally, but i know for sure that as from now, edexcel are scrapping their s4-6 modules. And s3 and s6 contain coursework - eeepp....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.