Are you morally obliged to have children?

Watch
queenofswords
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I.e Is it a moral duty you have towards your 'ancestors'?

Discuss.
fab23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes if a girl
sek510i
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't see why it would be. Leaving the world better than it was when you came into it would be nice, but kids don't necessarily make the world better. Especially with overpopulation and a lack of resources.
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No if anything its a moral duty not to have them.The world will probably reach 11 billion by the centurys end.The last thing we need is more children.
ValiantExistence
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
personally I feel morally obliged to not have kids
Dr Strange
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.

You have the right to live life as you wish; it is, after all, your life. The opinions of others should have no bearing on the decisions you make for yourself.
Ash8991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Since I'm the last male of the family that can realistically have kids (Dad and uncle are both in their 40s now), I'm expected to, and want to have, kids in the future. But of course, unless you're an only child, I can't imagine it being morally wrong to decide not to have kids

Me and my wife will be raising sons galore, each built 6 foot 4; each one stuffed with every Ashton gene
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No. Also, that's a rather silly justification for this nonsensical notion.
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Definitely not.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope, it's a choice.
username1439610
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, it totally depends on whether you want any.
bobby147
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
oh my God that guy really triggered you :laugh:.
You do not have any obligation to have children and I am skeptical when people bring morals into anything,since morals change over time and different people have different ideas of what is moral and what is not immoral.
Moral duty towards ancestors ?You have no duty towards your ancestors and I am pretty sure your ancestors would have done things and had views you would find morally abhorrent.
user 42005
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Given the fact that the world is already overpopulated: no, certainly not. I guess having up to two kids (the replacement rate) could be justified, at least economically (from an environmental perspective, one or none would be better), but more than two is actively damaging to our planet's health.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Certainly not, and especially not when you consider the issue of overpopulation, as mentioned above.
username3108158
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol. It's your decision - but I can understand why someone's parents might be upset if you decide not to have kids and you're an only child.
bobby147
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Certainly not, and especially not when you consider the issue of overpopulation, as mentioned above.
People need to be careful when applying the overpopulation argument,since it depends where you live.
Obviously,if you live somewhere like Japan,this is not an issue.
Plus the real issue is not necessarily the number of people but the fact that people the world over are consuming resources at a rate like we do in the West.
username944192
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope
username1842595
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. My mum started to hate me and was disappointed when I told her I couldnt.
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Interesting question. I guess many of my ancestors fought and died to pass along their genes to me, many others in my family tree died before being unable to pass along their genes.

So am I insulting their efforts if I just nihilistically decide to not also pass along my genes, genes that have been protected like a precious asset for millions of years and against staggering odds survived in me?

I guess even further to that do I have a duty to the society that's protected me to populate it as a man of relatively good health and at the very least, of character that isn't especially questionable?

I'm a big believer in self-determination, so I going to say yes that it is a moral act for good people to have children, but that it's not a moral obligation. Kinda like being an organ donor.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've thought about this. It does seem a shame for the unbroken line that has gone on for hundreds of millions of years to end with you but there's no moral obligation to continue the line. Aside from perhaps so as for there to be enough carers for the ever-growing population of old people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads