The Student Room Group

Are you morally obliged to have children?

Scroll to see replies

Only child so feel in a way feel obliged to. :frown:
Way to end the legacy of your family name.
Yes you are.
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Only child so feel in a way feel obliged to. :frown:

Same here
Original post by queenofswords
I.e Is it a moral duty you have towards your 'ancestors'?

Discuss.

No. The Earth could do with fewer people.
Nope, I know for a fact that I do not see children in my future and was almost persuaded to not by my parents, I grew up with one younger brother with autism and severe learning difficulties and a sister with aspergers, and depression, I am now 23, thats 23 years of being a carer, i've done my parenting haha!

Also kids are expensive, can be restrictive and with the world we're in now, you're bring kinds into an already overpopulated, in debt, ruined world, save your money and travel and get drunk!!

#unpopularopinion
lol I saw the post in another thread that made you make this

And no, nobody is
Reply 27
why would you have children when you know they're going to come of age during a global population contraction and major extinction event?

sounds kinda dumb
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
lol I saw the post in another thread that made you make this

And no, nobody is

Yes it came as a very big surprise to me that anyone would still have that way of thinking (regardless of political beliefs) so I decided to see how contentious the issue is amongst the general TSR population.
Reply 29
it's not a moral obligation but i want to have kids because i want a familly and also to spread my genes which is a source of pride for a man. It is also good for society because societies don't just automatically replenish themselves, they have to be replenished at a certain rate just to maintain a population. It also shows pride in your ethnicity and ancestors by wanting to continue the lineage. So having children is a good act morally and personally.
Original post by queenofswords
Yes it came as a very big surprise to me that anyone would still have that way of thinking (regardless of political beliefs) so I decided to see how contentious the issue is amongst the general TSR population.

I think that guy in particular was just trolling
No, not to your ancestors. They had children for their own reasons (love, lust, fear of God etc) so didn't 'give' you anything that you owe back.

I do think you have a slight duty to society, in that it looked after you throughout your life and it does need people to have kids to keep it going. But given that the population is growing anyway I would say it isn't pressure you need to put on yourself.
Reply 32
Yes. Jesus said "The Lord made dicks and pussies so humanity can get thou good ****"
I don't understand why some people have 4+ kids, like some people have 6 children like wtf get a job if you're that bored sitting your ass at home having nothing better to do. Sheesh.
we are not morally obliged to do anything
Original post by AppleB
I don't understand why some people have 4+ kids, like some people have 6 children like wtf get a job if you're that bored sitting your ass at home having nothing better to do. Sheesh.

you're just joking, right?
Original post by Emerald7770
you're just joking, right?

No my mum has a friend who has 7 children :colonhash:
Original post by AppleB
No my mum has a friend who has 7 children :colonhash:

why does that make you so angry?
Original post by RogerOxon
No. The Earth could do with fewer people.

But you know plenty of other people are going to have kids right?

Imagine hypothetically you were an intelligent person rather than a nihilist, would it then be a good idea to have children if they would inherit that intelligence and maybe do some good?
Original post by Emerald7770
why does that make you so angry?

It makes me slightly annoyed not angry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending