The Student Room Group

Best Accounting & Finance Unis for Investment Banking?

Assuming I am predicted AAA, the five I have in mind in order of preference are:

1) LSE - AAA
obviously
2) Warwick - AAA
also obvious
3 & 4) Durham - AAB & Cass Business School - AAA
Which is better out of the two? Does Durham have superior rep by investment banks and is it a better option despite its lower entry requirement? And btw I live in London so with Cass I'd save on accommodation costs.
5) Nottingham - AAB
This is the best AAB uni after Durham right?

Is this a good list?
My main issue I guess is selecting and ranking unis 3 & 4: Durham vs Cass vs Some other AAA uni you think deserves to be here.
Also, do you think there is something better than Nottingham for the 5th AAB option? And I am right in saying Durham and Cass over Nottingham?

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

lse and Warwick then the others

all good, then it just comes down to you as a candidate
Original post by HamzahPatel
Assuming I am predicted AAA, the five I have in mind in order of preference are:

1) LSE - AAA
obviously
2) Warwick - AAA
also obvious
Which is better out of the two? Does Durham have superior rep by investment banks and is it a better option despite its lower entry requirement? And btw I live in London so with Cass I'd save on accommodation costs.
5) Nottingham - AAB

Is this a good list?
My main issue I guess is selecting and ranking unis 3 & 4: Durham vs Cass vs Some other AAA uni you think deserves to be here.
Also, do you think there is something better than Nottingham for the 5th AAB option? And I am right in saying Durham and Cass over Nottingham?

Thanks in advance

The lead Durham has over the other semi-targets is pretty insignificant, realistically all of the unis on your list after warwick and lse have similar placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best unis in my opinion for A&F: LSE, Warwick, Bath. (In order)

I would insure Nottingham, for their Finance, Accounting & Management course. This what I done, lucky got into my firm.

1) LSE - AAA
obviously
2) Warwick - AAA
also obvious
5) Nottingham - AAB

Is this a good list?

Thanks in advance

Recruiting wise Warwick/LSE are ahead of the others, Durham/Notts/Cass don't have any distinctive difference in recruiting.

I would definitely look into Exeter, Bath, Bristol <- all three have strong A&F courses and are semi-targets, Leeds <- pretty strong course too, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham, Loughborough

Maybe have an ABB uni in there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gr8wizard10
lse and Warwick then the others

all good, then it just comes down to you as a candidate

Thanks for the confirmation
Original post by Princepieman
Recruiting wise Warwick/LSE are ahead of the others, Durham/Notts/Cass don't have any distinctive difference in recruiting.

I would definitely look into Exeter, Bath, Bristol <- all three have strong A&F courses and are semi-targets, Leeds <- pretty strong course too, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham, Loughborough

Maybe have an ABB uni in there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm okay. As I want to apply to a couple of AAB ones, I'll regard Durham and Notts as reserved for that.
So for me, that leaves Cass as interchangeable with Bath or Bristol. The pressure is to go for Cass because it's London and local, though the uni itself and my student life of commuting does not seem anywhere near as good as staying at Bristol/Bath.
As for applying to an ABB, if I end do up getting that, wouldn't it be better to retake a subject and get up to an A as opposed to settling for an ABB (which would be something like Royal Holloway)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by glebp
Best unis in my opinion for A&F: LSE, Warwick, Bath. (In order)

I would insure Nottingham, for their Finance, Accounting & Management course. This what I done, lucky got into my firm.

Yeah, Nottingham seems very good. Though if I had to choose to insure between that or Durham, I think I'm leaning towards the latter. It's close though.
Hmm okay. As I want to apply to a couple of AAB ones, I'll regard Durham and Notts as reserved for that.
So for me, that leaves Cass as interchangeable with Bath or Bristol. The pressure is to go for Cass because it's London and local, though the uni itself and my student life of commuting does not seem anywhere near as good as staying at Bristol/Bath.
As for applying to an ABB, if I end do up getting that, wouldn't it be better to retake a subject and get up to an A as opposed to settling for an ABB (which would be something like Royal Holloway)

You're correct in thinking that it'd be a better idea to retake + take a year out.

Tbh, I'd say move out for uni dude. It's such a fulfilling experience to be truly independent.

1) LSE - AAA
obviously
2) Warwick - AAA
also obvious
5) Nottingham - AAB

Is this a good list?

Thanks in advance

From the perspective of someone who was in your predicament this time last year, I would counsel you not to study Accounting and Finance if your career aspiration is in Investment Banking. I was actually intending to study Accounting and Finance myself. Fortunately my dad went to uni with many people who are now in senior roles at Investment Banks, so I spoke with many of them.

No word of a lie but they all advised me against studying A&F - IB's don't respect it, they treat it like a Management degree. Its seen as a very 'soft' and 'weak' subject. A&F lacks the comprehensive education of financial markets, investment theory, econometrics...

Economics was the main degree they suggested. However, Economics wasn't a course I wanted to study as I didn't do it at A-Level and from research I gathered that previous education in the study is a must otherwise it is very difficult at uni.

One of my dad's friends is an Equities Portfolio Manager at Goldman Sachs so he has the last say before recruiting a trader into his trading desk/team. He said that another highly preferred course is 'Finance BSc' (I was told that LSE and Cass offer this course), it caters a lot more towards Banking careers as their modules are much more focused on Investment practises, money management and risk...

Pending my A-Level grades this August, I will be studying Finance BSc at Cass. I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm trying to brainwash you but these are just my experiences and thoughts.

If you want a career in auditing and accounting then pursue Accounting and Finance; but if its a career in Investment Banking, you'd be better off straying from the course.
Original post by ricky.bowen
From the perspective of someone who was in your predicament this time last year, I would counsel you not to study Accounting and Finance if your career aspiration is in Investment Banking. I was actually intending to study Accounting and Finance myself. Fortunately my dad went to uni with many people who are now in senior roles at Investment Banks, so I spoke with many of them.

No word of a lie but they all advised me against studying A&F - IB's don't respect it, they treat it like a Management degree. Its seen as a very 'soft' and 'weak' subject. A&F lacks the comprehensive education of financial markets, investment theory, econometrics...

Economics was the main degree they suggested. However, Economics wasn't a course I wanted to study as I didn't do it at A-Level and from research I gathered that previous education in the study is a must otherwise it is very difficult at uni.

One of my dad's friends is an Equities Portfolio Manager at Goldman Sachs so he has the last say before recruiting a trader into his trading desk/team. He said that another highly preferred course is 'Finance BSc' (I was told that LSE and Cass offer this course), it caters a lot more towards Banking careers as their modules are much more focused on Investment practises, money management and risk...

Pending my A-Level grades this August, I will be studying Finance BSc at Cass. I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm trying to brainwash you but these are just my experiences and thoughts.

If you want a career in auditing and accounting then pursue Accounting and Finance; but if its a career in Investment Banking, you'd be better off straying from the course.

Or.. study what course you're interested in most because investment banks don't have course requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study management and most people on my course get into IBD/S&T so I don't think what he said was relevant. As well the JP Morgan Campus rep studies management, starting in IBD in a few months.
(edited 6 years ago)
LSE A+F

then

Warwick A+F

then

Cass A+F, Durham A+F, Nottingham FAM are all pretty similar - though saving accommodation costs would make Cass ideal, Nottingham's Business School is a bit better than Durham's though Durham has the better reputation overall out of the three

Bath A+F and Bristol A+F are both good courses but ask for grades closer to the top 2 despite providing employment prospects closer to the other 3.
My undergraduate (university) degree in the United States was in accounting, and included the study of investment banking as well. I just wanted to say congratulations to you in advance for the success you shall in the future to come.

1) LSE - AAA
obviously
2) Warwick - AAA
also obvious
5) Nottingham - AAB

Is this a good list?

Thanks in advance
Original post by luq_ali
My undergraduate (university) degree in the United States was in accounting, and included the study of investment banking as well. I just wanted to say congratulations to you in advance for the success you shall in the future to come.

Thanks, let's hope this is an accurate prophecy haha
Original post by Tomatochuckers
LSE A+F

then

Warwick A+F

then

Cass A+F, Durham A+F, Nottingham FAM are all pretty similar - though saving accommodation costs would make Cass ideal, Nottingham's Business School is a bit better than Durham's though Durham has the better reputation overall out of the three

Bath A+F and Bristol A+F are both good courses but ask for grades closer to the top 2 despite providing employment prospects closer to the other 3.

Thanks
I really recommend St Andrews as they are a prestigious uni and will give good contacts

Hi, what other unis did you apply to?
Reply 18

3 years on any change I'm about to do the same as you and have Bristol and Cass, Cass/ bases business school now still the way to go right?
Original post by shreyp7
3 years on any change I'm about to do the same as you and have Bristol and Cass, Cass/ bases business school now still the way to go right?

These are both pretty equal tbh (though the loss of the Cass name is a bit of a blow). I'd choose whichever uni you like best for other reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending