The Student Room Group

Self Directed Medical Research

Hello,
I am a lower 6th student and I was wondering whether undertaking some self directed research and producing a novice piece of research would be a good thing to do for applying for medicine.

I was thinking of looking at Cancer and it's affect on the NHS.

It will be self directed, so there will be no accreditation - but this is a topic I am personally interested in, and if I produced a paper could I perhaps share it with the medical interview panel?
Original post by Marcus2016
Hello,
I am a lower 6th student and I was wondering whether undertaking some self directed research and producing a novice piece of research would be a good thing to do for applying for medicine.

I was thinking of looking at Cancer and it's affect on the NHS.

It will be self directed, so there will be no accreditation - but this is a topic I am personally interested in, and if I produced a paper could I perhaps share it with the medical interview panel?

It's definitely a good thing to follow your curiosity and delve deeper into a topic which interests you - it shows initiative. Are you able to do an EPQ perhaps? They weren't a thing when I was in sixth form, but from what I've read it would allow you to do the work you want to do and to get it recognised as a qualification.

Medical school interviews are often very tightly run and standardised - there might not be an opportunity for you to show the panel your own work or there might not be enough time for them to look at it in any great depth. At least if you do it as an EPQ, you could hopefully show them you got a good grade for it, even if you're not able to share the actual dissertation with them.

Another thing to think about is where you're going to get hold of information for your project - you could probably find quite a lot of info in science magazines and good quality news websites, but some of the info on public health and policy will be in medical journals which are often behind a paywall. You would need to see if your school or college has access to these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending