Rachyjane88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what might mean you don't pass the occupational health check for an adult nursing course?

I'm really stressed about it - I've had mental health problems in the past but largely historic, however I was involved in a really awful relationship that has seen me signed off work with anxiety (and partly safety reasons) and a relapse into anorexia. I'm now no longer signed off work and am fully engaging with eating disorders services and my weight is increasing steadily, but I'm just worried that they won't let me on the course? Seems abit unfair to not let me on as physically and mentally I feel able to work - any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rachyjane88)
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what might mean you don't pass the occupational health check for an adult nursing course?

I'm really stressed about it - I've had mental health problems in the past but largely historic, however I was involved in a really awful relationship that has seen me signed off work with anxiety (and partly safety reasons) and a relapse into anorexia. I'm now no longer signed off work and am fully engaging with eating disorders services and my weight is increasing steadily, but I'm just worried that they won't let me on the course? Seems abit unfair to not let me on as physically and mentally I feel able to work - any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks.
If you take a look at my signature below there is an article on working as a healthcare professional with a MH diagnosis which should be useful to you. It covers the process of occupational health and disclosure.

If you have any further questions or would like any clarification, just let me know
Rachyjane88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for this but I can't find the link to the article - could you repost it please?

(Original post by Charlotte49)
If you take a look at my signature below there is an article on working as a healthcare professional with a MH diagnosis which should be useful to you. It covers the process of occupational health and disclosure.

If you have any further questions or would like any clarification, just let me know
Swagio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A friend of mine is recovering from anorexia and passed her oh fine as she was physically well and engaging with services. It's different for everyone but don't let it put you off.
I also have a mental illness and history of poor mental health, including admissions and did fine with occupational health, they were nice and I was open and honest. Was really worried before hand but feel silly about it now as they just wanted to help make adaptations if needed. I now work with them to make my work life as easy as possible in regards to my illness and it has really helped ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rachyjane88)
Thanks for this but I can't find the link to the article - could you repost it please?
Here is the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...alth_Diagnosis
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
oh dear. i bet your stressing. please dont. when i started years back OH were scarcely i had to lose weight and during training i picked up a really nice ring worm infection of the arm pits. took weeks to clear and they were fine and friendly even if they did laugh a lot. when my wife first applied 30 years back they were dragons they tried to stop her because she had eczema. now they are very good they are there to get you working and keep you working. they will also assist with your eating disorder. you do need to be realistic that its very stressful but as long as the uni and student support know they can assist and adapt it some what. you need to take real good care of yourself. good luck you will do very well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed