The Student Room Group

Are robots going to steal your job??!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Necro2411
There is no law in technology that says more jobs will always be made. This time the AI revolution will replace human thinking with machine learning and beyond this humans have little if any usefulness if a computer thinks exactly like a human. The YouTube channel "In a Nutshell" did an amazing video exploring real life cases and all the stats that show we are doomed Lol.

AI is indeed coming along, but it is still very basic. Figuring out which news items to display is not going to replace people who undertake complex social interactions i.e. customer service. My windows are being replaced. I would challenge anyone to create a robot that could do such a complex task.
Reply 21
Instead of spending £50k on a degree, use the money to buy a bunch of robots and rent them out to earn money for you.
I want to do a Computer Science degree for this very reason. Why put yourself at risk of automation when you can just help work on the robots that are automating other peoples jobs?
Yes I get this, but what I am saying is that you will have an extra decade or two before you have to worry about robots. However as the advancements in AI over past 3 years have shown; robots can use machine learning to learn how to do anything if given enough data about it. If designers were recorded designing clothes and the AI would watch millions of designers doing their jobs over a few years, the AI would use machine learning algorithms to literally become a designer with millions of designers worth of experience; you wouldn't need to teach it how to design clothes or which colours are a good combo, it would do this by itself, learning from scratch.
Humans change their moods. Aesthetics are fickle. Good luck with AI trend setting !

Original post by ByEeek
AI is indeed coming along, but it is still very basic. Figuring out which news items to display is not going to replace people who undertake complex social interactions i.e. customer service. My windows are being replaced. I would challenge anyone to create a robot that could do such a complex task.

Here is a thought; over 50 years there has been hardly any improvement in AI structures so many people just gave up that it is possible. A few years ago Google DeepMind created a learning algorithm that actually sent a shockwave through the field and meant that in the last few years there was a mind-blowing level of progress. I understand that today customer service may be far too complicated, but if you think about it long enough you will realise that any complex task, no matter how complex, can be broken down into little bits which could then be tackled by the most basic AI. For example, some new techniques are known as neural networks, where the AI thinks like a human by different neurones solving the solution in a different manner and then the 'main' neurone picking the optimal solution, similar to how humans would weight different solutions and pick the one they seem to be the 'best' one.

We are 10 years or so away from that but if you search up you will find ridiculously advanced things AIs can already do. 'In a Nutshell' YouTube channel recently did an excellent video exploring AIs and it explains it much better than me
Original post by Kyou
I want to do a Computer Science degree for this very reason. Why put yourself at risk of automation when you can just help work on the robots that are automating other peoples jobs?

AI means computers can programme other computers. No human programmers necessary. In fact it's probably one of the jobs most at risk.
Original post by uberteknik
Humans change their moods. Aesthetics are fickle. Good luck with AI trend setting !

Never heard of Trend analysis? humans are very predictable if you have enough information

Vivre la revolution!

Vive la Révolution!

:spank: <==== Uber is spanked by a robot :teehee:
Here is a thought; over 50 years there has been hardly any improvement in AI structures so many people just gave up that it is possible. A few years ago Google DeepMind created a learning algorithm that actually sent a shockwave through the field and meant that in the last few years there was a mind-blowing level of progress. I understand that today customer service may be far too complicated, but if you think about it long enough you will realise that any complex task, no matter how complex, can be broken down into little bits which could then be tackled by the most basic AI. For example, some new techniques are known as neural networks, where the AI thinks like a human by different neurones solving the solution in a different manner and then the 'main' neurone picking the optimal solution, similar to how humans would weight different solutions and pick the one they seem to be the 'best' one.

We are 10 years or so away from that but if you search up you will find ridiculously advanced things AIs can already do. 'In a Nutshell' YouTube channel recently did an excellent video exploring AIs and it explains it much better than me

You are right - although I did Neural Networks at uni in 1995! The thing is that the AI we see today applied to websites and the like is basically the sort of AI I was learning about 20 years ago. The only difference is that 20 years ago, other than from an academic interest and chess, there wasn't really any applications for it. And when we look at the sort of applications they are being used for now, it is about personal customisation. If if my Facebook and Google Ads experience is anything to go by, it is still pretty crap.

But even as you suggest, in 50 years time, AI is taking over the world, it will still require humans to implement and there will be a whole army of workers supporting those workers all this job titles that haven't even been invented yet. 50 years ago, the computer was going to put us all out of work. Just think of the job opportunities it has created. As a business owner, you can now market your goods and services anywhere in the world. 50 years ago, that idea would have blown your mind.

The future is very very bright!
Robots? I thought immigrants were stealing all our jobs
AI means computers can programme other computers. No human programmers necessary. In fact it's probably one of the jobs most at risk.

That's only in the advent of The Singularity; and at that point, nearly all jobs will be automated.
[video="youtube;UNC2q33aWHs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNC2q33aWHs[/video]
The automation of jobs has been there since the Industrial and Agricultural revolutions, the robotic age is a natural step in that process and the 'reservations' are of the same type they always were in the past. The Luddites are a good example, they feared the same consequences we do fear nowadays. Yet, had we refused to allow technology to be incorporated as a productive tool and where would we be now?

Technology closes down certain jobs but creates many new ones too and we can always pull the plug on robots, the test is really how much trust are we prepared to put on anything artificially intelligent. I don't think anyone would trust the Red Button to a machine, even the Fat Boy would be safer.
Well, as long as the robots will do work that actually serves us and makes sure we can all eat and do the things we want, I don't see the problem :-)
Original post by Meany Pie
I do quite a lot of design work so I'm not too worried.

However the unskilled labour market will be destroyed by robots.

I can't wait for the day when robots result in there being no jobs advertised at the Job Centre. It will be an interesting day.
Factor in the lost tax revenue resulting from automation. Workers pay income tax. Robots and computers do not. Therefore replacing workers with robots is legitimate tax evasion.
I hope so.

My aim in life is to find a job where I can build my own robot to my job for me steal back from my employer what is mine

https://workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/93696/is-it-unethical-for-me-to-not-tell-my-employer-i-ve-automated-my-job
(edited 6 years ago)
I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

I'm fine. I dabble in communications, insight and training, not really things robots are best placed to do (yet...).
People have being worrying about this since the industrial revolution and we have always found other stuff for people to do. The change will hurt people less able to move between jobs but in the long run it is brilliant that humans will get more stuff for less work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending