The Student Room Group

55% of Europeans want a Muslim country ban, poll finds

Scroll to see replies

Let us put individual liberty with respect to religious freedom into the trash can of history.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
They only surveyed 10 countries.

Also the total number of respondents to the survey was around 10,000, or about 1k per country. You could argue it might be a reasonably representative sample size for one country, but not for surveying all europe.

*number
Original post by The Asian Tory
Let us put individual liberty with respect to religious freedom into the trash can of history.

There are already countries that operate this sort of idea. Feel free to head to Saudi Arabia, Iraq, China or Russia. Because I really want the UK to be like them!
Original post by ByEeek
There are already countries that operate this sort of idea. Feel free to head to Saudi Arabia, Iraq, China or Russia. Because I really want the UK to be like them!

You do realise that even Saudi Arabia doesn't dis incentivize peoples of different faiths from practising their religion, case in point people of Philippine origin whom work their as Social carers.
Original post by The Asian Tory
You do realise that even Saudi Arabia doesn't dis incentivize peoples of different faiths from practising their religion, case in point people of Philippine origin whom work their as Social carers.

Oh don't get me wrong. If you have something they want, they will allow anyone in. But if I were to stand in the middle of their main square and start telling them that Christianity is the way forward or that Islam is complete rubbish, their Thought Police would be over me like a shot.

That is effectively what was being suggested for this country - that religious freedom is not respected.
Original post by ByEeek
Oh don't get me wrong. If you have something they want, they will allow anyone in. But if I were to stand in the middle of their main square and start telling them that Christianity is the way forward or that Islam is complete rubbish, their Thought Police would be over me like a shot.

That is effectively what was being suggested for this country - that religious freedom is not respected.

Name me a single country that does not want to attract skilled labourers? I understand your argument, and it is correct that the Saudi has many challenged to overcome, but do not compare a sub optimal country like Saudi to the UK. I am uninterested in arguing the importance of individual liberty over the TSR but I vote Nay!
Original post by luq_ali
Funny, I wonder how many Iraqis would have taken a poll to have their country
wrongfully invaded, under false pretenses, by those claiming to be Christian
nations. According to a study by Johns Hopkins University around 2006,
(meaning the numbers only got worse) hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi
civilians were killed by the wrongful invasion of Iraq, from military actions, from
starvation and deprivations, from the daily deluge of civil unrest with the country
falling apart and the daily bombings from the split along religious lines between
Shia and Sunni-and no preventive measure in place to restrain it because
the government-however repressive it might have been, is gone. NOT to think
of the hundreds of thousands who died in the interim of sanctions from 1991-
2001...these are innocent people, who were killed as a direct result of
actions by The West. NOT to think of the colonial history of the UK and
Europe-in the very countries where many Muslim immigrants have come
from...and the racist and lowdown evil actions taken in those countries, from
South Africa to Morocco to other places-to take control of precious mineral
resources...Yeah, I'm sure King Leopold was a lovely chap, along with
the rest of them.(NOT)

Now, there is no justification for terrorism, for dropping bombs on innocent
people or blowing up innocent people or attacking public places -no matter
what the name of the religion is, whether it is some person claiming Islam
who commits such an act, or bombs dropping on and killing innocent
civilians in Iraq or elsewhere, or Abu Ghraib and other injustices and
massacres committed by troops who either were fueled by white
supremacy or whose interpretation of religion was that they were racially
superior. I think we should keep things in perspective. Terrorism is a problem,
and I know the UK has actual gun laws and protection, but for example,
in the U.S., since 9/11/2001-approximately 184 persons have died from acts
of Terrorism, over 180,000 have died in the same period of time from gun
violence, not to think of the tens of thousands of deaths from drunk drivers.
According to the Anti-Defamation league, 70% of domestic terrorism has, in
this period, been committed by conservative, neo-nazi, white supremacist
extremist types, 24% by terrorists claiming some affiliation with Islam, and the
balance by leftist, liberal groups.

Terrorism is wrong, targeting and killing innocent people is 100% wrong, whether
it is dropping atomic weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and killing 180,000
civilians who were NOT military targets, to the actions of The Western powers
up through the 1960's and 1970's and beyond in overthrowing and usurping
governments, fueling insurrections and instability in "enemy states" without
regard to the lives lost, the collateral damage, etc. I would hope the survey
and respondents to it might consider those facts, and the history of the racist
colonialism of Europe in Africa, Asia, The Middle East-wherever they went
around the world, which those countries are still suffering from. Let us stop
terrorism of all kinds.

Our government did something wrong, so we should take all of them in? Your post is ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
and then they woke up
Who said taking all in, was ever an option, all are NOT being taken in now, there is a screening process and the little old thing called immigration proceedings.

I am saying when you around the world urinating and defecating on people, and
create or contribute to the creation of humanitarian crisis after crisis like in
Syria-what caused this mass exodus, prosperity and peace, or the desire of The
West to violently overthrow-even using virulent jihadist and terrorists to do it-
the leader of Syria, to back the overthrow of his country and funnel weapons,
monies into doing it (and it was NOT only the West, I'm only mentioning this
in the context of the poll)sending advisors, and special forces missions-and then
you create this mess and step back and say "too bad." That is what I'm saying!
This is NOT the first time this has happened or been done-its a recurring
theme, go back to that old saying "The sun never sets on the British empire."
I once heard the hip-hop group, Public Enemy say the UK and U.S. flags have
been like, ah, to put it nicely, a penis, everywhere those flags were going back
in the day, they were "humping" over the indigenous poor people, installing
stool pigeons and flunkies as rulers to do their will instead of helping the
people. And for all that history, the same thing is still being done. There is
cause and effect, which involves responsibility, period. A little thing called
"justice"-so yes, if they aided in the creation of the crisis and flights of people-
then there must be a roll in the cleanup and aid of those whose homes and
lives you helped destroy. That is my final point on this issue.

Original post by YaliaV
Our government did something wrong, so we should take all of them in? Your post is ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mangatardallys
Difference is, a typical man may "pump and dump" you, however a radical Islamist will blow you up; I know which one I'd rather experience, or in other words I'd rather take a sweet from the man sweet bag, than from from the extreme Islam sweet bag.

Hey i found the argument I was actually thinking of:

If I remember rightly it was more about rape and domestic violence not "pumping and dumping", as the latter is a far less important issue according to these people.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Hey i found the argument I was actually thinking of:

If I remember rightly it was more about rape and domestic violence not "pumping and dumping", as the latter is a far less important issue according to these people.

I take your point. However, I would argue that men are always going to be a factor within our society (we cannot get rid of men). What we can do is, though, reduce the number of extremists entering Europe, whose main aim is to harm our way of life by causing terror, from countries that are linked to extremist groups. I think that sounds perfectly reasonable to me and I would be surprised if you could find someone who disagreed with that. The usual argument in response to this is that "White" people are extremists/rapists/murderers too; yes, no one is denying that and that is a domestic issue that should be tackled alongside this. We already have our own extremists and murders, and rapists to deal with, so why add potentially more? To me, the results of this poll are not surprising and will only increase, unless the government do something about the very real problem of radical Islam.

P.S. Other radical ideologies are available.
Can't fault their logic
Reply 52
Original post by ClearSky
Why do YOU think we should block innocent Muslims who just want to see their families in the UK from entering?

Because we do not need them. We are already overpopulated and you want to bring mass amounts of unskilled 3rd world immigrants? Why should we take them?

If you want to give everyone in the world a better life, eventually you will just become like the sh*thole that they come from.
Original post by Alowa1
Because we do not need them. We are already overpopulated and you want to bring mass amounts of unskilled 3rd world immigrants? Why should we take them?

If you want to give everyone in the world a better life, eventually you will just become like the sh*thole that they come from.

You are one hard-hearted person. Think of all the people out there - wanting to see their families. Innocent people who've not done anything wrong and you are just making their lives miserable.

Imagine if we banned people of your ethnicity from entering the UK because they were deemed terrorists. Would you, then, be happy?
Reply 54
You are one hard-hearted person. Think of all the people out there - wanting to see their families. Innocent people who've not done anything wrong and you are just making their lives miserable.

Imagine if we banned people of your ethnicity from entering the UK because they were deemed terrorists. Would you, then, be happy?

You are insane and it's people with thinking like you that are totally destroying Europe.

WE DON'T OWE THESE PEOPLE ANYTHING. Why do you think we should just open our borders to the world? That is a one way ticket to turn us into the sh*tholes that they come from.

P.S. I am talking about immigration. If they just want to visit, that's fine, as long as they don't then stay here illegally. And if they are Muslim then they must be rigorously vetted and monitored 24/7.
Original post by Alowa1
You are insane and it's people with thinking like you that are totally destroying Europe.

Thank you for the kind words.

Original post by Alowa1

WE DON'T OWE THESE PEOPLE ANYTHING. Why do you think we should just open our borders to the world? That is a one way ticket to turn us into the sh*tholes that they come from.

P.S. I am talking about immigration. If they just want to visit, that's fine, as long as they don't then stay here illegally. And if they are Muslim then they must be rigorously vetted and monitored 24/7.

Wow. You must have a lot of friends.

I don't like the use of "vetted" and "monitored". Muslims are human beings. After Muslims get expelled or whatever, terrorists will just adopt Christianity or something.
Banning Muslims won't help :facepalm:
Reply 56
Thank you for the kind words.

Wow. You must have a lot of friends.

I don't like the use of "vetted" and "monitored". Muslims are human beings. After Muslims get expelled or whatever, terrorists will just adopt Christianity or something.
Banning Muslims won't help :facepalm:

Yeah Europe will instead start seeing weekly terrorist attack where they shout "Praise Jesus!" - The logic of you people is ridiculous.

Islamic terrorism has been going on forever - we have been at war with these people for thousands of years. The only solution is to ban them all. Sound harsh but unfortunately sometimes some people ruin it for the rest.
Original post by Alowa1
Yeah Europe will instead start seeing weekly terrorist attack where they shout "Praise Jesus!" - The logic of you people is ridiculous.

Islamic terrorism has been going on forever - we have been at war with these people for thousands of years. The only solution is to ban them all. Sound harsh but unfortunately sometimes some people ruin it for the rest.

Nobody I know considers me a terrorist or a threat to the UK. I am a Muslim and I do care about the health and safety of the public.
But banning Muslims isn't the right solution. Next thing you know they'll be kicking Muslims out of the UK - people who've lived here their whole lives!
Original post by Alowa1

WE DON'T OWE THESE PEOPLE ANYTHING.

So why do owe you the significant amounts of resources and effort required to keep them out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mangatardallys
If someone gave you a bag of your favourite sweets but told you a 1/3 of them tasted like diarrhea, would you take one and eat it?

Unlike your hypothetical example where there is no way of telling which sweets tasted like diarrhoea, which I can easily distinguish given that I'm a lawyer, it is easy to show evidence of one's religion through documents like birth certificates, baptism certificates, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending