Should perfect attendance awards be removed from schools? Watch

cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A mother has refused to allow her 10year old son to collect an award for his 100% attendance. She also has an 11yr old child who is severely disabled, and she believes that schools that offer prizes for attendance are demonising the weak, as you shouldn't be awarded for "being lucky enough not to get sick".

She compared it with the adult workplace, stating "can you imagine what kind of atmosphere that would create for people who have to take days off for bereavement, mental health problems or chronic conditions"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...ttendance.html

Thoughts/Opinions?
ella.lea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
silly women
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with her. Attendance trophies are a symptom of the "everyone is a winner" mentality, which is very harmful to our society.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
She has a point. You have children who don't care about going to school; so what good are these awards going to do for them? Like her severely disabled child, you're going to have those who have to take a lot of time off due to being ill.

I do think if you want to reward your own child for his 100% attendance, then do so.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One of my granddaughters got A BIKE for perfect attendance. When she brought it round to mine I asked her where she got it. "I got it for never missing school, Nanny, even when I was ill, I went". Took me 15 minutes to get up to that school and tell the Head what I told of the whole thing.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
She makes a very valid point.
Fujoshi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
One of my granddaughters got A BIKE for perfect attendance. When she brought it round to mine I asked her where she got it. "I got it for never missing school, Nanny, even when I was ill, I went". Took me 15 minutes to get up to that school and tell the Head what I told of the whole thing.
Kids going in when ill and thus infecting others who will then have to take time off school is the reason that I hate the perfect attendance awards; it's just encouraging people to spread viruses :/
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. We need to incentivise punctuality and punish lateness, being on time is a pretty basic skill in the workplace imo.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fujoshi)
Kids going in when ill and thus infecting others who will then have to take time off school is the reason that I hate the perfect attendance awards; it's just encouraging people to spread viruses :/
Yep, I remember when I was in primary school, parents were were still sending their children to school with chickenpox because they didn't have childcare
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perfect attendance is unrealistic, and based on you avoiding conditions that a student can't control (illness, bereavement, accidents, parent-planned holidays that coincide with school terms, etc).

It would be far more appropriate to have a 'no truancy' award, even though that would have little to no distinction, given that the overwhelming majority of students in any class aren't likely to be truants.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MaxReid)
No. We need to incentivise punctuality and punish lateness, being on time is a pretty basic skill in the workplace imo.
True. But at the same time, many of us who did take time off school, did have a valid reason for it. So why punish us?
loveleest
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At first I was thinking that there is nothing at all wrong with it. But I do see what that Mother meant by rewarding children for not being sick
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
True. But at the same time, many of us who did take time off school, did have a valid reason for it. So why punish us?
I think there's a distinction between authorised absences and general lateness, and in my experience most schools recognise this.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think there's a distinction between authorised absences and general lateness, and in my experience most schools recognise this.
Mine didn't. Despite having a genuine reason for having a few weeks off school, (I had to have surgery) I still got into a lot of trouble for it. My parents also weren't overly impressed at the weekly phone calls, despite sending a letter in.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Punctuality isn't the same as attendance though
EstelOfTheEyrie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's an interesting point that I've never really considered.
As a kid, I did spend quite a lot in hospital, and frankly, the people with 100% attendance didn't always perform the best. There was too much pressure getting people into school as opposed to doing well.
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cherryred90s)
Punctuality isn't the same as attendance though
This is true.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think it's a big deal. I was far from having perfect attendance and punctuality In any year at school; but it's just an attendance award I don't really care tbh just like any of the other inconsequential nonsense they do in schools.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What is your experience other than your own school?
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Meany Pie)
What is your experience other than your own school?
Aside from the 4 schools I went to, the 2 schools my sister went to and my experience of university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.81%
Impatient (217)
12.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise