does a level psychology require writing essays in exams? Watch

Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
are there many questions that require essays to be written for a level standard? by essay, I don't mean like 8 markers, I mean like 16, 20 or 40 markers etc?
CleverSquirrel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yep! as far as i remember i did edexcel psych and there was big 20 markers asking describe and eval, or explain something, in A2 there were bigger ones i think 30 markers- alot of it was writing tbf, i remember coming out with my hand hurting haha!!
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did A level psychology in 2011/12 so it might have changed, but from what I remember it depends on the exam board and the highest mark question I had was 12 and that was with Edexcel.
Etoile
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
are there many questions that require essays to be written for a level standard? by essay, I don't mean like 8 markers, I mean like 16, 20 or 40 markers etc?
If you go to the website of your school's exam board you will be able to find sample exam papers
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
yep! as far as i remember i did edexcel psych and there was big 20 markers asking describe and eval, or explain something, in A2 there were bigger ones i think 30 markers- alot of it was writing tbf, i remember coming out with my hand hurting haha!!
Wow haha, when did you do A level psych? I did Edexcel too and the biggest question I had was only 12 marks lol
CleverSquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mangatardallys)
Wow haha, when did you do A level psych? I did Edexcel too and the biggest question I had was only 12 marks lol
haha two years ago? i think its A2 im talking about, AS only had 12 i think?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
haha two years ago? i think its A2 im talking about, AS only had 12 i think?
I did Edexcel A2 in 2012 and don't remember 20/30 marker questions, they must have changed it, unless my memory is failing me..
CleverSquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mangatardallys)
I did Edexcel A2 in 2012 and don't remember 20/30 marker questions, they must have changed it, unless my memory is failing me..
idk i remember 20 markers?!! unless im having a dumb moment hahaha
NaomiPT
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing AQA Psychology right now. At AS they have 12 markers (6 for A01, 6 for A03) and at A2 they have 16 markers (6 for A01, 10 for A03)
dmy15
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NaomiPT)
I'm doing AQA Psychology right now. At AS they have 12 markers (6 for A01, 6 for A03) and at A2 they have 16 markers (6 for A01, 10 for A03)
No such thing as AS or A2 anymore
sarah1001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ive just finished edexcel A2 psychology, the biggest essay we had was 20marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NaomiPT
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dmy15)
No such thing as AS or A2 anymore
Since when? As far as I understood, they're were both still a thing, but AS didn't count for anything if you went on to A2 (for certain subjects). Or is this for next year?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NaomiPT)
Since when? As far as I understood, they're were both still a thing, but AS didn't count for anything if you went on to A2 (for certain subjects). Or is this for next year?
I'm not too wise on the current state of A levels since I did mine around 5/6 years ago, but I do believe this is something they are introducing from this September.
Pink fizz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For AQA 1st year the maximum is 16 markers and for 2nd year it's 24 markers
CuriousShinigami
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup I just finished my A Level in Psychology (new spec and AQA) and we still call them AS and A2 even if AS doesn't count if you carry on for the full 2 years :laugh:

As for the question... during AS we had 12 markers and in A2 we had 16 markers. They are usually made up of marks for your knowledge and evaluation.. though some questions have less evaluation marks and have application in too.

So in A2 this year it was 6 marks for Knowledge and 10 for Eval... but in an apply essay it could be:
6 Knowledge (AO1)
4 Application (AO2)
6 Eval (AO3)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (270)
67%
No (133)
33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed