Does Reading Latin (book) cover A level content

Watch
YAH_BOY_ASH
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently working through 'Reading Latin' by Peter V Jones and Keith C Sidwell. Is this book going to take me to A level standard of Latin? If not, then what book should I go through next? Would you recommend the Cambridge Latin course and if so then which book should I begin from after I complete this book.
Thanks
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by YAH_BOY_ASH)
I am currently working through 'Reading Latin' by Peter V Jones and Keith C Sidwell. Is this book going to take me to A level standard of Latin? If not, then what book should I go through next? Would you recommend the Cambridge Latin course and if so then which book should I begin from after I complete this book.
Thanks
I just skimmed the pdf and no, not really. I'd recommend Essential GCSE Latin afterwards (it was my GCSE textbook and a total lifesaver) since although there is some overlap between it and the book you're reading, you need to make sure you know the entire GCSE grammar spec before moving onto A-level. After that I'd suggest Latin Beyond GCSE (also by John Taylor) and you might want to get yourself a good book of unseen translations to practise with. The OCR-endorsed A-level one is by Ashley Carter.
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, you should be fine with Reading Latin. It's a bit heavy-going as it's designed primarily for undergraduates who start Latin from scratch at university. The Cambridge Latin Course won't take you up to A-Level standard; more like GCSE standard. I'd certainly echo the recommendation of the Taylor books and also books of unseens for A-Level: the Ashley Carter one, while still useful, has been replaced by Matthew Owen's Prose Unseens for A-Level and Ovid Unseens, also by Owen.

Hope this helps!
YAH_BOY_ASH
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Sonechka)
I just skimmed the pdf and no, not really. I'd recommend Essential GCSE Latin afterwards (it was my GCSE textbook and a total lifesaver) since although there is some overlap between it and the book you're reading, you need to make sure you know the entire GCSE grammar spec before moving onto A-level. After that I'd suggest Latin Beyond GCSE (also by John Taylor) and you might want to get yourself a good book of unseen translations to practise with. The OCR-endorsed A-level one is by Ashley Carter.
What about Lingua Latina?
I have heard it is a good book but it might be less accessible. What are your thoughts on it.
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by YAH_BOY_ASH)
What about Lingua Latina?
I have heard it is a good book but it might be less accessible. What are your thoughts on it.
It depends on your level of Latin comprehension; if you feel confident enough to use a textbook written entirely in Latin then go for it, and it will certainly be good reading practice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
29%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
10%
No I am happy with my choice (55)
55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6%

Watched Threads