Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Degree in Spanish and Italian along with A2 French or AS/A2 German? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am going to Sussex University at the end of September to do a European Languages degree in Spanish and Italian which is a 4 year course (the 3rd year is abroad). My main reason in writing is that I want to do either A2 French (I got a B this year at AS from scratch) or AS and/or A-Level German (also would be from scratch but I will be studying from a GCSE textbook until the course starts to cover the necessary ground required for AS/A-Level).

I wonder whether you think I should do the degree and A2 French or the degree and AS German.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Jordan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chicoinglés)
    Hey,

I am going to Sussex University at the end of September to do a European Languages degree in Spanish and Italian which is a 4 year course (the 3rd year is abroad). My main reason in writing is that I want to do either A2 French (I got a B this year at AS from scratch) or AS and/or A-Level German (also would be from scratch but I will be studying from a GCSE textbook until the course starts to cover the necessary ground required for AS/A-Level).

I wonder whether you think I should do the degree and A2 French or the degree and AS German.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Jordan
    is this alongside your degree? cool. i'd recommend french, purely because of time pressures you'll find it easier, plus the french language shares more similarities with the other romance languages than german does. having said that taking up german would be a good way of getting of increasing job prospects in the future, due to the amount of trade britain and germany have. it is a hard language to do from scratch however. a gcse textbook, no matter how good it is, wouldn't cover everything.

well done on getting that result for french by the way!

ReputationRep:
    French will compliment the other two languages a lot better perhaps, especially in ease-of-learning -- they say if you speak two of the Romance languages you can pick the other one up no bother. Most people do find German quite hard, because of all the rules and unfamiliar vocab, but it's really quite logical at the end of the day, and a useful language to know in a European context. Choose the language of the country you'd most like to spend time in

ReputationRep:
    Cheers 4 ur advice guys. I'll probably start working through the German textbook and if I can do French (I have to ask the French teachers at college about it), I'll do French, because like you say, it would be easier for me generally.

Thanks priya for the compliment!

C ya,

Jordan

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't reccomend it purely because it'll be hard to concentrate on three languages. Also you might find teh college won't let you. One of my mates got into do spanish after doing jsut AS (but she already had an A in German and was predicted A for french). She wanted to go and finnish the A-level off at a local school However, despite teh fact she was studdying spanish at degree level the school wouldn't accept her because tehy thought she would be too much risk (to the league tables presumably)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks 4 ur advice 2!! I'll see what happens!! I'm going into college this Wednesday to find out about French and if I can't do it, then i'll do German if I can, but if it all becomes to much I'll just do my degree, as I'll still be doing two languages. I can cope with it I feel, as I did three languages last year (A2 Spanish, AS and A2 Italian and AS French).

Cheers anyway guys, your help is much appreciated!

C ya,

Jordan

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.