The Student Room Group

I'm so lost

Hi
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LTDainius
Hi everyone,

To start off a bit of background about me. I am currently 16 years old (shortly 17) and doing a City & Guilds Level 3 IT apprenticeship.

I have decided to change my route of apprenticeships to A-Levels. The reason for this is I in a way want to prove to myself that I can do much better academically. I would also like to keep my options open so for this reason I will be leaving my apprenticeship. Long story short, I realised that I want to study and not work as I'm still very young and got my whole life ahead of me.

The current problem I'm having is choosing the A-Levels I should study. There are several subjects I had in mind like : Photography, Computing, Physics, Psychology and Product Design.

I'm not really sure as to what career I would like to do, but what I have on my mind is to become software/hardware engineer.

These are my grades that I achieved during 2016 june exams :

English Language : D
English Literature : C
RE : D
Business Studies : C
Core Science : B
Additional Science : C
Spanish : C
Computing : B
Product Design : B
Maths : C (11 marks of a B)

I know I could have done much better, but the issue lies in me maturing too late. I know this may sound silly but I was so childish back then and thought who cares about school. It is now hitting me hard and I wish I could have done better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You should do A levels that are relevant, which you enjoy and you cna get good grades in.

For the degrees you mentioned then the absolute key one you needs is Maths.

A levels like psychology and photography wont add much.

You might as well do Computers and if you are good enough at Physics then that would look good. If you want to go into animation or some aspects of design then you could follow product design through.

What you need to do is go to a unis site you are interested in and look at entry requirements. They will tell you what subjects are essentials and that will give you an idea of which ones to select and what grades they look for.
Original post by LTDainius
Believe I have looked at so many websites and the problem I'm having right now is that I don't have the full entry requirements. E.g. For A level maths they want a B which I only have a C in. I am pretty doomed and is there a way kind of around it? I really feel that I can do much better than I did at GCSE's

Well you cna try and negotiate with them, resit or do an access course.

Quick Reply

Latest