The Student Room Group

Europe and The Uk

The EU chief negotiator has said the financial sector can't stay in the single market and there won't be a frictionless border between the UK and the EU. UK are playing games as well they have agreed to take back control of their waters.

So no deal is on the cards?
Why would you say that? Weve already said we wont be in the single market and he is correct in that there cant be a frictionless border if we are not.

Big deal if the UK has taken back some territorial fishing rights. Its only an agreement with certain countries anyway.

There will be a deal. They will be incompetent if they cant manage one.
Reply 2
Currently, the EFTA States have 27 free trade agreements (covering 38 countries) with the following partners: Albania Bosnia and Herzegovina Canada Central American States (Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama) Chile Colombia Egypt Georgia Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Hong Kong, China Israel Jordan Korea, Republic of Lebanon Macedonia Mexico Montenegro Morocco Palestinian Authority Peru Philippines Serbia Singapore Southern African Customs Union (SACU) Tunisia Turkey Ukraine
Whats your point in either post?
Reply 4
As far as I've seen, the Government has generally spoken of cross-border trade and the land border with Ireland being as frictionless as possible. I don't think there's any sense in which we're saying that there won't be non-tariff barriers to trade, we're just talking about managing them down as much as possible.

I've said before several times that the idea of being "in or out", "members or non-members" of the single market is a nonsense. You can't be outside of the EU and be a member of the single market: there simply isn't such a status. What we can hope for is tariff-free trade and agreements on harmonisation of regulation and other issues. That'll be key to any negotiated agreement with the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending