John Lennon.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What happens when I "deactivate" my account?
Does the account get deleted?
Are my photographs and messages deleted?
Are my friends notified if I "deactivate" my account?

Thanks, John
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by John Lennon.)

Thanks, John
Deactivating is different to completely 'deleting' an account.

Your profile is essentially removed from public view, but the account is not closed completely. Your photos and other history will still remain on the facebook servers in case you want to activate the account again and start using it as normal, which you can do at any point. The photos, etc, that you uploaded will be removed from public, but the messages that you have sent will still remain in the recipient's inbox after you have deactivated it. If people have tagged you into something, the hyperlink to your profile will become void, but your name may still be there.

Friends won't know if you've deactivated your account unless they actually make an effort to notice.
John Lennon.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davalla)
Deactivating is different to completely 'deleting' an account.

Your profile is essentially removed from public view, but the account is not closed completely. Your photos and other history will still remain on the facebook servers in case you want to activate the account again and start using it as normal, which you can do at any point. The photos, etc, that you uploaded will be removed from public, but the messages that you have sent will still remain in the recipient's inbox after you have deactivated it. If people have tagged you into something, the hyperlink to your profile will become void, but your name may still be there.

Friends won't know if you've deactivated your account unless they actually make an effort to notice.
Is there actually a way to delete my Facebook account?
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks, John
The account goes Nowhere, man.

You'd be back to where you once belonged.
Davalla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is there actually a way to delete my Facebook account?
Yeah, there's a button somewhere in the account (or a link to it in the support pages) where you can delete your account.

But that doesn't work with immediate effect; the account gets put into Deactivated status for a few weeks before the full deletion takes place. This is so you can log back in at any time and stop the deletion from taking place if you change your mind.

Deletion does pretty much the same thing as Deactivating, but removes the back-up of your account (photos and stuff) so you cannot restore it. They allow you to download an archive of your Facebook history prior to this though so you can keep some of the memories.

It takes about three weeks after choosing to Delete your account for it to actually happen. You get an email when it is about to be done; if you log in to Facebook at any point before that you get a pop up message telling you to either log back out or stop the deletion process.

Not that even if you fully delete the account, some traces of your existence can still remain on other people's accounts.
John Lennon.
Rep:
?
Yeah, there's a button somewhere in the account (or a link to it in the support pages) where you can delete your account.

But that doesn't work with immediate effect; the account gets put into Deactivated status for a few weeks before the full deletion takes place. This is so you can log back in at any time and stop the deletion from taking place if you change your mind.

Deletion does pretty much the same thing as Deactivating, but removes the back-up of your account (photos and stuff) so you cannot restore it. They allow you to download an archive of your Facebook history prior to this though so you can keep some of the memories.

It takes about three weeks after choosing to Delete your account for it to actually happen. You get an email when it is about to be done; if you log in to Facebook at any point before that you get a pop up message telling you to either log back out or stop the deletion process.

Not that even if you fully delete the account, some traces of your existence can still remain on other people's accounts.
After the three weeks will I still be able to reactivate the account or will I need a new one?
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks, John
Hi there!

Firstly, please do mind where you post: as this thread should be in the "Tech" thread. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

When you deactivate a Facebook account, it'll stay in a "deleted" state until you log back into it. When you log back into it, everything should resume as normal and people will be able to see your account again.

All messages are deleted when your account is deactivated, and friends are not notified about the account deletion/deactivation.
Davalla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
After the three weeks will I still be able to reactivate the account or will I need a new one?
You'd need to make a new one
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
All messages are deleted when your account is deactivated, and friends are not notified about the account deletion/deactivation.
Comments are removed but private conversations remain on the server, so the recipient will still be able to read them but the sender's picture would be gone and the name replaced to something like 'Facebook user' rather than their profile name.

^This happens regardless of whether deactivating or deleting
John Lennon.
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Hi there!

Firstly, please do mind where you post: as this thread should be in the "Tech" thread. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

When you deactivate a Facebook account, it'll stay in a "deleted" state until you log back into it. When you log back into it, everything should resume as normal and people will be able to see your account again.

Sorry!

You'd need to make a new one

Comments are removed but private conversations remain on the server, so the recipient will still be able to read them but the sender's picture would be gone and the name replaced to something like 'Facebook user' rather than their profile name.

^This happens regardless of whether deactivating or deleting
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (300)
84.27%
No (56)
15.73%

Watched Threads