Is it a good idea to take Computer Science A-Level without previously doing GCSEs?

Watch
AronAdamski
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently Year 11 student and I've not done Computer Science on my GCSEs, however i was thinking of doing it on A-Levels as it opens a lot of options. Would it be too hard for me to study it at A-Levels without having a knowledge of GCSE Computing as long as my Maths skills are very good? Thanks!
Animinus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Despite what most people think, A Level computing science doesn't really contain much math, well the theory side anyway. The actual 'math' you would use when it comes to programming and coursework but even then it's pretty minimal. The main 'difficulty' if you could even call it that is that most of what makes A Level CS challenging is the theory which can get pretty in depth if you havent done GCSE CS. But overall if you have a good understanding of how a computer represents text, images and music files with binary, how the CPU works in depth in terms to registers and the actual processing of data you should be fine.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't recommend it if you didn't do it at GCSE, A-level Computing is HARD, really really hard so is the coursework so unless you are familiar with Computer theory and programming languages like JavaScript and HTML which you would have done in GCSE I wouldn't do it at A-levels if I were you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (152)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (458)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (347)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (433)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.73%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6.05%
Loneliness (268)
8.62%
Financial worries (112)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (170)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (277)
8.91%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (292)
9.39%

Watched Threads