The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to start A Level Self Teaching now?

I'm most definitely not making the same mistake I've done when doing my GCSEs. (I revised 1 week before all exams) I still did reasonably well and answered all questions due to my memory and some sleepless nights just cramming revision. I've brought the chemistry and biology A Level books already, so you think it's a good idea learning the material in the holidays to give me less work load in AS?
Reply 1
Not right away as you will most certainly burn out. I would suggest that from August you spend maybe 2/3 hours a week reading up on your courses and getting things organised. There is of course no harm in beginning self teaching however things may get complicated due to the complexity of a levels.
You could do extra reading to supplement your studies to give you a better understanding, but there is no replacement for a teacher. Self studying completely is risky as some concepts will be difficult to understand, which is what your teacher is for - they structure the course in order to make it an effective learning experience and you can refer to them for help. Just don't leave revision to one week before the exams!
Don't bother. Enjoy your summer holiday, as you get older you're gonna have less and less of this free time to do whatever you want. You can ace your A levels, just work smartly and hard throughout the year, your GCSEs aren't a determinant of how you'll do in A level
I would absolutely recommend doing this! It will give you some idea of what will be expected of you, what your objective aims or learner objects will be. If there is a specified reading list (I'm doing an English A-level so i have lot to read although im not sure about sciences) i would say purchase the books and get reading over the summer :smile:

Original post by Sebastian1299
I'm most definitely not making the same mistake I've done when doing my GCSEs. (I revised 1 week before all exams) I still did reasonably well and answered all questions due to my memory and some sleepless nights just cramming revision. I've brought the chemistry and biology A Level books already, so you think it's a good idea learning the material in the holidays to give me less work load in AS?
No. You can pre-read before each lesson however which will help a lot but don't burn yourself out.

Besides, not trying to offend you but if you revised one week before your GCSEs do you really think you can handle a huge jump like that? Personally, I don't think many people can do that. But, you could suprise me, :biggrin:
No, you don't need to start now. As long as you keep up with the workload as you go along you'll be fine!

Biology is a very key term terminology heavy subject and Idk about chemistry but it probably is too. If I was back in year 11 I'd start reading early and learning the key words as the mark schemes are very specific and fussy.
Original post by BTAnonymous
No. You can pre-read before each lesson however which will help a lot but don't burn yourself out.

Besides, not trying to offend you but if you revised one week before your GCSEs do you really think you can handle a huge jump like that? Personally, I don't think many people can do that. But, you could suprise me, :biggrin:

Alright well started revision 1 week of revision got me:

6 As 2 Bs and 1C (retaking it and definitely going to get it to an A) - also I did 60 pages of Chemistry just to see if it's good, and loving it. I regret not starting sooner because getting A*s would be easy if I did 1 more week of revision and got 6 As. REALLY regretting it, I wish I put more effort in but somehow I managed to get decent grades which I'm thankful for.
(edited 6 years ago)
Alright well started revision 1 week of revision got me:

6 As 2 Bs and 1C (retaking it and definitely going to get it to an A) - also I did 60 pages of Chemistry just to see if it's good, and loving it. I regret not starting sooner because getting A*s would be easy if I did 1 more week of revision and got 6 As. REALLY regretting it, I wish I put more effort in but somehow I managed to get decent grades which I'm thankful for.

yeah, just don't make the same mistake in a week or two... pre read, go to lesson, revise and repeat

Quick Reply

Latest