The Student Room Group

Anyone doing their A2 History coursework...

What debate are you focusing on, and how many books are you looking at for source material? I am self teaching and so could use any additional information about the whole mess that I can get... I do OCR, btw...

So what is everyone looking at doing?

I was thinking of looking at Henry V and Agincourt, but Im not sure about it...

-Robbie

Scroll to see replies

I have no idea at all how our A2 coursework goes, but I'm on EdExcel. We're doing the Changing Roles of Parliament from the Henrician Reformation through to the whole Charles I debacle, and considering how structured our AS coursework was I doubt we'll be choosing our own question..

Think my only advice would be to read LOTS of books (obvious I know), you'll get so many different view points without realising it. Is the focus for your coursework on how things develop? I think that might just be an Edexcel thing.. but yours sounds really fascinating. What can you choose from? If you're going to be reading tonnes of books make sure you're really interested... I regret going to my sixth form for the fact that we're doing the Tudors/Stuarts.. my real love is 20th Century and Ancient.
Reply 2
RobbieC
What debate are you focusing on, and how many books are you looking at for source material? I am self teaching and so could use any additional information about the whole mess that I can get... I do OCR, btw...

So what is everyone looking at doing?

I was thinking of looking at Henry V and Agincourt, but Im not sure about it...

-Robbie

is urs a personal study?? pm me if it is...little bit of advice on this subj...
Reply 3
Bump!

Surely someone must be doing or have done this coursework... I am so stuck, my library in town has loaned away all the books I need for like a million years!
Reply 4
Yep, i will be starting my A2 history coursework when i go back to college. My exam board is OCR too. I wasn't sure if i would be carrying on with history but the way things have turned out, i have no choice. I'm a bit worried about it as i have to construct my own question and it has to be about 2500 words long! i don't think i've ever done a history essay which has to be that long. I can't face reading lots of boring books and i don't know what topic to choose...i'll probably end up doing Germany :rolleyes: :frown:
Reply 5
RobbieC
Bump!

Surely someone must be doing or have done this coursework... I am so stuck, my library in town has loaned away all the books I need for like a million years!

oh no i feel bad for u! Im starting the Edexcel A2 coursework too, ive chosen to focus on Nazi Germany , i wont go into detail on my question. I went to my library and got about 7 relevent books, we were told to get ten, how many were you told to get?
Reply 6
Maria D
Yep, i will be starting my A2 history coursework when i go back to college. My exam board is OCR too. I wasn't sure if i would be carrying on with history but the way things have turned out, i have no choice. I'm a bit worried about it as i have to construct my own question and it has to be about 2500 words long! i don't think i've ever done a history essay which has to be that long. I can't face reading lots of boring books and i don't know what topic to choose...i'll probably end up doing Germany :rolleyes: :frown:

Im doing germany too, lol. I know exactly what you mean, im sooo dreading reading big fat history books !!!!!
Reply 7
danii17
ive chosen to focus on Nazi Germany

what aspect of Nazi Germany are you doing?
Reply 8
oooh i really need help! i dont know wot to do :confused:
i want to do something about germany i think as it ties in with german, and iw anted to dosomething on the Berlin wall but apparently itstoo recent!
i was thinking about doing
"to what entent did the resentment caused by the treaty of Versailles lead to the rise of Hitler?"
but im not sure if thats really what their after.
any advice would be warmly welcomed and greatly apprechiated (i cant spell) :biggrin:

thanks
ana xxx
Reply 9
ana is ur exam board OCR?
Reply 10
nope its Edexcel :smile:
Reply 11
anaïs
i want to do something about germany i think as it ties in with german, and iw anted to dosomething on the Berlin wall but apparently itstoo recent!
"to what entent did the resentment caused by the treaty of Versailles lead to the rise of Hitler?"
any advice would be warmly welcomed and greatly apprechiated (i cant spell) :biggrin:

thanks
ana xxx

i think the question you've chosen for your essay title is fine, as long as you can find enough sources to back up your answer as well as showing other alternative answers to the question. My exam board is OCR and my essay has to be around 2500 words long - they have a word limit of 3000 words maximum and i have to include footnotes and a bibliography of what sources i used. I know your exam board is edexcel, but i'm sure they're after something similar. Good luck with it :smile:
anaïs

thanks
ana xxx

I've just done all about the Nazis in AS on Edexcel - even though I love History I have to say I found it boring. You might not want to put 'the rise of Hitler' in your question either, because it limits your question too much, instead I'd put 'the rise of the Nazi party', but hey ho, whatever you think is best. We talked about this question last year - and the basic rule was if it mentions Hitler personally - you talk about Hitler personally - his motivations etc, but if it says 'Nazi party' you talk about the German public, and why they would vote for them, and there's a lot more to talk about in that than there is just for Hitler's motivations, if you know what I mean.

I'm going for Napoleon for my assignment - absolutely no idea why though.
Reply 13
This year I am doing

(a) An independent assignment - something to do with the modernisation and industrialisation of Meiji Japan (1868-1912)

(b) An unspecified piece of courseword on Irish Political Extremism (1815-1940)
Reply 14
Wow, you are all as confused as me!

I was going to debate Napoleon's success as a general for my debate. However, NO historians will say he was a terrible leader.

We were told 2 books were adequate, but we should look for more.
RobbieC

I was going to debate Napoleon's success as a general for my debate. However, NO historians will say he was a terrible leader.

I've came across plenty saying Napoleon was overrated just in my studies of Tsarist Russia.

And we got told 5 books.......
Reply 16
RobbieC

Is that for OCR? I'd look for way more than 2 books, we were told to start with 6, and then look for some more later. I'm not sure how much you've been told, but you need to remember that if you go over 3000 words, the examiner probably won't mark after that- we weren't told this until I'd nearly finished, so for all I know the examiner didn't read my conclusion. (my teacher estimated me a A, and I ended up with an C, so something obviously happened.)

If you want general advice, then put as much evaluation and as little narrative into the eassy as possible, and make lots of references... most of the people who got the top grades had 30 or 40 footnotes.

Out of interest, where are you getting your primary sources?
Reply 17
Maria D
what aspect of Nazi Germany are you doing?

Propaganda
Reply 18
I think it would be useful if people who have already had to do this coursework posted their essays along with the grade they got for it so that people (like me) :redface: who are undecided and confused about what topic to choose can maybe get some ideas for possible essay questions and can also see what examiners are looking for in order to get a decent grade. :tongue:
Reply 19
Maria D
I think it would be useful if people who have already had to do this coursework posted their essays along with the grade they got for it so that people (like me) :redface: who are undecided and confused about what topic to choose can maybe get some ideas for possible essay questions and can also see what examiners are looking for in order to get a decent grade. :tongue:

good idea lol. Im confused as to how i am going to approach the essay, i know were meant to pick an area of history, a question, and then read a load of books on it. But then what????????????? Im nervvvvous as i reeeally want to do well in history

Latest

Trending

Trending