Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone doing their A2 History coursework... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    HELP PPL!!! (soz, gettin desperate now!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria D)
    HELP PPL!!! (soz, gettin desperate now!)
    Dont worry Maria, we have time!!!!!!! Well i have until the 6th september to get thinking i dont know about you!

ReputationRep:
    No one is going to read 6 books about this... and if they are, they have issues...

I don't believe I have read (cover to cover) more than 6 books in my secondary school life...

1...2...3...4...5... No, 5 - and those are only because I study Eng Lit and History...

I dont think you have to read loads to get good grades and stuff, I could get 40 footnotes from 2 books im sure... tho id like more books.

My idea now is doing JFK and debating whether he deserved his good reputation.

ReputationRep:
    well i go back to college on 3rd sept (next wed! ahhhhh!) :eek: and we were meant to have thought of a question and started some reading and note taking over the summer! (which i haven't done) I think the final draft has to be given in sometime in january - usually i leave things to the last min but for next year i've decided to get things done and out of the way, turned over a new leaf in a way, lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what is the point of footnotes? Under all my quotes or photos or whatever I put the origin of my source, but I didnt have any footnotes as I couldnt see a reason for them. Then again I did get a U for my c/w...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    No one is going to read 6 books about this... and if they are, they have issues...

I don't believe I have read (cover to cover) more than 6 books in my secondary school life...

1...2...3...4...5... No, 5 - and those are only because I study Eng Lit and History...

I dont think you have to read loads to get good grades and stuff, I could get 40 footnotes from 2 books im sure... tho id like more books.

My idea now is doing JFK and debating whether he deserved his good reputation.
    You certainly don't have to read 6. In fact, I didn't read any. I used the index to look for info to back up my point. Although considering I have got a C, I may not be the best person to ask.

But the wider the variety of books and sources you have, the better it looks.

ReputationRep:
    well i go back to college on 3rd sept (next wed! ahhhhh!) :eek: and we were meant to have thought of a question and started some reading and note taking over the summer! (which i haven't done) I think the final draft has to be given in sometime in january - usually i leave things to the last min but for next year i've decided to get things done and out of the way, turned over a new leaf in a way, lol :rolleyes:
    omg me too thats what i decided to do. Being me, i ALWAYS rush like mad to get things done in the last minute and always get behind on homeworks and overall im such a disorganised wreck, but still get the grade the majority of the time. But this year there has to be a change, im just going to do my work as i get it! Good luck to you maria i hope you stick to it as it really is easier said than done!!!!!!! I have to take some notes on my books to , but our essay has to be done under EXAM CONDITIONS with our notes and nothing else, SCARRRRY!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    Good luck to you maria i hope you stick to it as it really is easier said than done!!!!!!! I have to take some notes on my books to , but our essay has to be done under EXAM CONDITIONS with our notes and nothing else, SCARRRRY!!!!!!!
    Thanks, gd luck 2 u 2 i remember having to do coursework essays in class under exam conditions when i did GCSE history, but our teacher was dopey and i just used to write my essay out the way i wanted with as much time as i wanted at home and then smuggle it in with all my 'notes' and basically just copy it in the time allowed in class (bad i know) lol The coursework i have to do when i go back doesnt have to be done under exam conditions so i guess i'm lucky in that way :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, gd luck 2 u 2 i remember having to do coursework essays in class under exam conditions when i did GCSE history, but our teacher was dopey and i just used to write my essay out the way i wanted with as much time as i wanted at home and then smuggle it in with all my 'notes' and basically just copy it in the time allowed in class (bad i know) lol The coursework i have to do when i go back doesnt have to be done under exam conditions so i guess i'm lucky in that way :rolleyes:
    Yeah u r lucky, i have to sit there for 4 hours , with a load of notes, writing a big fat essay , which actually, i couldnt care a rats ass about, the only thing i care about is the grade

ReputationRep:
    Helpful tip: Go to various University History Department Websites, look at module titles that you fancy the look of and steal their reading lists.

ReputationRep:
    I think I might be able to help a bit ... I recently got 88/90 for my OCR A2 History coursework (3001 words long). I just checked my bibliography now and I used around 12 different books, but obviously I didn't read them all. I got out as many books as I could and then just used the index to find the relevant sections which I then used. All you need to do is quote from as many different historians as you can with differing opinions on your chosen topic ... the more historians the better as evaluation is heavily weighted,thus you can cross reference historians, evaluate their careers .. etc. It is also very useful to be able to fully analyse a book and say on what grounds the historian and the book contribute a particular angle to your historical debate.

For example (My project was on Martin Luther King):
    (Basic Overview of book)

In his 1991 publication ‘Free at last’, Fred Powledge characterizes the movement as surrounded by certain “pseudo-truths”, principally the Americans’ belief that “Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was the civil rights movement” . Throughout the book, he virulently refutes this, arguing that, “The Movement did not begin on December 1, 1955” , the date of Rosa Parks arrest which subsequently led to Martin Luther King’s initial involvement with the civil rights movement.

(Then evaluation - I used another historian Charles Payne's evaluation to boost its strength)

However, the nature of the book and Powledge’s background as a journalist question the validity of his argument. He states that he is “biased in favour of the movement” . Furthermore, as noted by Charles Payne, the book is essentially a “journalistic narrative history” intertwined with “interviews with a wide range of participants” . As a result, the book provides a decent overview of the movement’s history, but lacks any crisp analytical dissection of the interrelationship between King and the movement which is vital when assessing the claims of Ella Baker.

And that is basically what you need to do with every historian and book. Just make sure you have enough opposing arguments and are able to evaluate each argument, paying particular attention to the historical merit of the book/historian.

If anyone needs anymore help just pm me.

-Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    Helpful tip: Go to various University History Department Websites, look at module titles that you fancy the look of and steal their reading lists.
    Or if you're like me, pinch the online lecture notes to quote from in your essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_S)
    I think I might be able to help a bit ... I recently got 88/90 for my OCR A2 History coursework (3001 words long).
    :eek: 88/90!!!! dats amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    What debate are you focusing on, and how many books are you looking at for source material? I am self teaching and so could use any additional information about the whole mess that I can get... I do OCR, btw...

So what is everyone looking at doing?

I was thinking of looking at Henry V and Agincourt, but Im not sure about it...

-Robbie
    yes

French Revolution- Social causes

but i'm not sure whether i'm keeping the subject on.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: 88/90!!!! dats amazing!
    Ta:-), although it makes you wonder where those 2 marks got to.

ReputationRep:
    I need to sort out a title for my independent investigation, wanted it to have a large Economics/Politics aspect to it as this is what I am applying for at university.

Was thinking "To what extent did the Wall Street Crash cause the depression that ensued?"

Any thoughts or ideas for a subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    I need to sort out a title for my independent investigation, wanted it to have a large Economics/Politics aspect to it as this is what I am applying for at university.

Was thinking "To what extent did the Wall Street Crash cause the depression that ensued?"

Any thoughts or ideas for a subject?
    seems like a gd title to me

ReputationRep:
    How I wish we had coursework in our history courses...

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.