Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1227 - Animal Licencing Bill 2017; The Rt. Hon. Aph MP

A
B I L L
T O

Require all people to have a license to have or breed an animal.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) Licensing Authority
1. There shall be a licensing authority set up to issue licences to prospective owners and carers of animals.
2. The Licensing Authority shall be called the Pet and Animal Licensing Authority (PALA), and
3. Shall devise tests and licences needed to be allowed to breed and take care of animals.
Tests should take account of;
A. The financial situation of the applicant,
B. The knowledge and demeanour of the applicant,
C. The home situation of the applicant, and
D. The general ability to give appropriate care the applicant has.
4. Breeding licences issued shall last a maximum of 5 years during which licence holders can breed animals they are licensed to and either keep or sell their animals.
5. Adoptions licences issued shall last for the lifetime of the animal.
6. PALA shall have the authority to carry out spot checks on all licensed individuals and can revoke licences if an animal is being treated inhumanely.

2) Offences
1. It is an offence to sell or give an animal to an unlicensed individual which will result in:
A. Up to 25 years in jail for a Tier 1 animal.
B. Up to 10 years in jail or up to a £500,000 fine for a Tier 2 animal
C. Up to a £50,000 fine for a Tier 3 animal.
D. A lifetime ban on holding a licence for the possession of any animal
2. It is an offence to be in possession of, or to breed any animal without an appropriate licence which will result in:
A. A ban on owning any animal and up to 25 years in jail for a Tier 1 animal
B. Up to 10 years in jail or up to a £500,000 fine for a Tier 2 animal
C. Up to a £50,000 fine for a Tier 3 animal.
D. The confiscation of any contravening animals.

3) Categories of animal
1. Tier 1 animals shall be those under the scientific classification of:
A. Homo,
B. Proboscidea,
C. Canis,
D. Felis,
E. Corvus,
F. Cetacea,
G. Octopoda,
H. Any animal considered threatened in the wild
2. Tier 2 animals shall be those under the scientific classification of:
A. Mammals,
B. Reptiles,
C. Birds
3. Tier 3 animals shall be all other animals not otherwise proscribed

4) Commencement, short title and extent.
1. This act shall be referred to as the Animal Licensing Act 2017,
2. Shall extend to the whole of the United Kingdom, and
3. Shall come into force 12 months after royal assent.
Kalail
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm open to ideas such as re-introducing dog licensing but this seems to me to be an extreme solution, quite for what problem I don't really know.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm open to ideas such as re-introducing dog licensing but this seems to me to be an extreme solution, quite for what problem I don't really know.
It came from the dog licence idea, and the fact that most animals need a licence to be kept anyway. It seems to me that this would help to reduce animal cruelty cases in court as prevention is better than a cure.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kalail)
Nay.
Any reasoning?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It came from the dog licence idea, and the fact that most animals need a licence to be kept anyway. It seems to me that this would help to reduce animal cruelty cases in court as prevention is better than a cure.
To own a pet cat?

Also a dog licence is just like a tax on owning a dog, I never envisaged it coming with a test.
Kalail
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can't seriously expect people to have a license to have a pet fish can you? Also fish, especially guppies, breed like bunnies, and the babies hatch within a week or two. The whole notion is ridiculous. Also this bill, in my opinion, would reduce the amount of animals being adopted from rescue centres because not everyone would 'qualify' for a license, leading to over crowdedness and more expenses for the institutes because they have more and more animals to look after whilst waiting for prospective owners.

Aph
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
To own a pet cat?

Also a dog licence is just like a tax on owning a dog, I never envisaged it coming with a test.
I was under the impression that it came with a test originally? If not then I think a test is better just so that people who have no idea how to train and look after animals actually can't just get one.

And yes, although that's more an issue with breeding for me there should be licencing to own animals to make sure that they aren't treated poorly, a dangerous cat can be just as bad as a dangerous dog.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. We should impose greater responsibility on animal owners, but that relates to making them responsible for damage caused by the animal to third parties; owning an animal should effectively be considered per se.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can't seriously expect people to have a license to have a pet fish can you? Also fish, especially guppies, breed like bunnies, and the babies hatch within a week or two. The whole notion is ridiculous. Also this bill, in my opinion, would reduce the amount of animals being adopted from rescue centres because not everyone would 'qualify' for a license, leading to over crowdedness and more expenses for the institutes because they have more and more animals to look after whilst waiting for prospective owners.

Aph
I might consider changing this in the future, making it legal to breed tier 3 animals.
And surely we don't want animals going to unsuitable homes, especially from shelters.
Kalail
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I might consider changing this in the future, making it legal to breed tier 3 animals.
And surely we don't want animals going to unsuitable homes, especially from shelters.
And what about people who breed cats/dogs for puppies/kittens in order to bring in some money? Will you deny these people their income purely because some animals get maltreated?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And what about people who breed cats/dogs for puppies/kittens in order to bring in some money? Will you deny these people their income purely because some animals get maltreated?
If they can't look after the animals or don't do proper background checks on the people they sell to then they shouldn't be making money that way. Plus requiring breeders to have a licence means that you can avoid illegal puppy farms.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While it's not as radical as I might have hoped, it's a step in the right direction towards making sure specified animals are treated with respect and, more importantly, treated by the right people.

Aye.
Kalail
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
If they can't look after the animals or don't do proper background checks on the people they sell to then they shouldn't be making money that way. Plus requiring breeders to have a licence means that you can avoid illegal puppy farms.
Most shelters do checks anyway. We actually had to go private buying instead of going to a rescue home because we were denied a cat for being 'near a main road.' Either way. I'm still a nay
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. This bill has the potential to improve animal welfare, which is a very good thing indeed. My one reservation is that the penalties for owning a pet without the right license are too much. For example, it is likely that some owners may simply forget to sort out a license and so, I don't think they should be punished too much.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The basic premise of the Bill I support. I suggest there should be a clear distinction between breeding for profit and breeding otherwise (if your pet gets pregnant this is very different from a puppy farm, for example). There could also be some reasons why a person is not allowed to keep an animal other than their conduct or care for animals. Anyone with convictions for violent behaviour should never be allowed to have a Rottweiler for example.

I also think that the Bill needs to think about pets effectively owned and cared for by children and the status under the Bill.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I notice a distinct lack of notes to explain what the need for this is, not that I expect it would be coherent anyway.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
The basic premise of the Bill I support. I suggest there should be a clear distinction between breeding for profit and breeding otherwise (if your pet gets pregnant this is very different from a puppy farm, for example). There could also be some reasons why a person is not allowed to keep an animal other than their conduct or care for animals. Anyone with convictions for violent behaviour should never be allowed to have a Rottweiler for example.

I also think that the Bill needs to think about pets effectively owned and cared for by children and the status under the Bill.
This is very much why I'm leaving it to the statutory body, because there is no way I or anyone person could think of all the things that would need to go in.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (150)
51.72%
No (140)
48.28%

Watched Threads