The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Accommodation - Private or Nah?

Hi,

I will be starting at Uni of Lei in September and I need some help on whether I should go private or not?

I've not had a chance to visit the accommodation as i applied in June, and i won't have chance to come view it either.

All i want is an ensuite with a double bed.

I feel like if i go private I'll end up missing out on the social aspect and won't make as many friends.

Help pls
Thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by Hennaaaa
Hi,

I will be starting at Uni of Lei in September and I need some help on whether I should go private or not?

I've not had a chance to visit the accommodation as i applied in June, and i won't have chance to come view it either.

I feel like if i go private I'll end up missing out on the social aspect and won't make as many friends.

Help pls
Thanks x

I guess it varies depending on the university, but I highly doubt you'd miss out much on the social aspect as long as the accommodation isn't that far from the campus.

In my case I have applied to private accommodation, however it's pretty close to the uni and the student union, as well as a lot of first years apply to it so apparently it's one of the best accommodation choices for uni.

Obviously the safe option is to go for the university halls. If you're thinking about private accommodation you should check out 'IQ accommodation', you're able to check the room mates you'll be with as well & see what years they will be in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
This was something I struggled with, save money and go private (and potentially be lonely) or go for halls and miss out on a bit of luxury. As it stands I have a room with a washbasin in Nixon Court. Would have preferred an ensuite but simply can't afford it.
Hi,

Help pls
Thanks x

Hi Henna,

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to come and view our accommodation! We do have some 360 virtual room tours that you can view, and we also have a Flickr account full of photos of our accommodation.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/applicants/our-accommodation/vr-rooms

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100654726@N02/albums

If you would prefer to live in private accommodation, you could check out Sulets who are recommended by our Students' Union. They also have a range of room types available.

http://www.leicesterunion.com/sulets

I hope these are useful and please do message us if you need any help :smile:

Shauna
Reply 4
Hi,

Help pls
Thanks x

Going private accommodation you usually get better value for money and from my personal experience the friends u make and rent with in the 2nd and 3rd years aren't the people you live with in uni halls. (just my experience at Leicester uni)
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,

I would personally suggest living in uni halls for first year as the experience that you get there isn't something you can always get in private accommodation. Yes not all the halls are that spacious etc, but its only for first year and its worth it for the social aspect. If you aren't too bothered about that, then private halls are a better choice as you will get the double bed, ensuite etc. You may even still get the social experience depending on where it is. One thing to bare in mind that private halls are not going to be uni specific so you may be with DMU students too (if that matters at all to you). Freshers dates are slightly variable between the two unis.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending