The Student Room Group

CPR £0 Tuition Fee

In 2014/2015, I withdrew from my course.

I went for a few days but then decided to withdraw as my mum got very ill and I had to take care of her. She was more depressed than usual that year, on top of already having problems with her back due to many slipped discs, blood pressure, cholesterol etc.

Therefore, I decided to withdraw myself from university. I withdrew within the two week limit so the £9000 went back to SFE as well as the maintenance grant and loan.

I thought it was for the best as I wanted to focus on helping my mum. I thought that I could also find a job to support her needs. I didn't want to rely on her for money. It didn't feel right to me.

She started feeling bad that she got in the way of my studies so she told me that she'd be happier if I started university for 2016/2017. And so I did.

I done a foundation year in Early Childhood (4y) in 2016/2017. I completed the year but then decided I wanted to focus more on the Education side of work. So I applied for Education studies (3y) for 2017/2018. However, when I applied for student finance, it wrote that they'd only pay me £0 for my tuition fee. I called them to talk about this and they tell me it's because of my 2014/2015 application.

I don't really understand why they count that as a year. I withdrew within the limit, gave the £9k back as well as the maintenance loan and grant. But they still consider it as a year.

I'm now looking into a CPR form. I'm wondering how this all works and what type of documents I would need. Any help would be greatly appreicated. Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by elfen12

I went for a few days but then decided to withdraw as my mum got very ill and I had to take care of her. She was more depressed than usual that year, on top of already having problems with her back due to many slipped discs, blood pressure, cholesterol etc.

Therefore, I decided to withdraw myself from university. I withdrew within the two week limit so the £9000 went back to SFE as well as the maintenance grant and loan.

I thought it was for the best as I wanted to focus on helping my mum. I thought that I could also find a job to support her needs. I didn't want to rely on her for money. It didn't feel right to me.

She started feeling bad that she got in the way of my studies so she told me that she'd be happier if I started university for 2016/2017. And so I did.

I done a foundation year in Early Childhood (4y) in 2016/2017. I completed the year but then decided I wanted to focus more on the Education side of work. So I applied for Education studies (3y) for 2017/2018. However, when I applied for student finance, it wrote that they'd only pay me £0 for my tuition fee. I called them to talk about this and they tell me it's because of my 2014/2015 application.

I don't really understand why they count that as a year. I withdrew within the limit, gave the £9k back as well as the maintenance loan and grant. But they still consider it as a year.

I'm now looking into a CPR form. I'm wondering how this all works and what type of documents I would need. Any help would be greatly appreicated. Thank you.

Did you receive any benefits for caring for your mother just after you withdrew?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Did you receive any benefits for caring for your mother just after you withdrew?

No. She does receive disability living allowance, but it's the lowest rate. In order for me to be eligible for carers allowance, she needs to receive the middle or higher rate.

I'm wondering if I could show them her medical records, letters from doctors and the benefits she claims etc. Would that be enough or do I need more? ._.b
Original post by elfen12

Hi elfen12,

There isn't a time limit for previous study, if you attend a course and subsequently leave then that would be factored into your funding calculations in the future.

We can however accept CPR evidence in order to award you a further year of entitlement, some examples of this would be medical evidence, letter from a GP, a letter from the Higher Education Provider themselves or anything you feel is relevant to your situation.

It is reviewed on a case by case basis and if accepted the funding can be put back into place for your next available academic year.

Warm regards.
Original post by elfen12

On top of the above advice about how to apply for CPR it's worth talking to your university about your situation. They might be willing to help if you're not able to get CPR by reducing or waiving your fees or offering a payment plan that's more manageable.
Reply 5
Original post by Chris SFE
Hi elfen12,

There isn't a time limit for previous study, if you attend a course and subsequently leave then that would be factored into your funding calculations in the future.

We can however accept CPR evidence in order to award you a further year of entitlement, some examples of this would be medical evidence, letter from a GP, a letter from the Higher Education Provider themselves or anything you feel is relevant to your situation.

It is reviewed on a case by case basis and if accepted the funding can be put back into place for your next available academic year.

Warm regards.

There's a limit for my university though. If you withdraw within 2 weeks, the money goes back to SFE. I was hoping that I'd get my year back, but eh, figured as much. As for the evidence, I'll try look through her documents and records. Is there a CPR form I can fill that explains my situation? Thanks alot! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
On top of the above advice about how to apply for CPR it's worth talking to your university about your situation. They might be willing to help if you're not able to get CPR by reducing or waiving your fees or offering a payment plan that's more manageable.

Oh! That would be a start! Thank you. I'll try to book a appointment with advisors. Thanks alot! :smile:
Original post by elfen12
There's a limit for my university though. If you withdraw within 2 weeks, the money goes back to SFE. I was hoping that I'd get my year back, but eh, figured as much. As for the evidence, I'll try look through her documents and records. Is there a CPR form I can fill that explains my situation? Thanks alot! :smile:

Hi again elfen12,

A cover letter alongside the evidence you provide will be enough to inform us of the situation as there is no specific CPR form.

Warm regards.
Reply 8
Original post by Chris SFE
Hi again elfen12,

A cover letter alongside the evidence you provide will be enough to inform us of the situation as there is no specific CPR form.

Warm regards.

Oh! Thank you! :smile: I'll ask my university for help with all this! But this information has made me less stressed about it all! Thanks alot! ^_^ Byebye!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending