I lost my English Accent .. but how do I get it back and ignore my friends.. Watch

XXKing
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm 20 year old British girl and I've lived in the states for the past 9 years now.
I've left England when I was 11 with a very thick English accent and now i speak with an american accent.
It really bothers me when people keep asking why I don't have an english accent and that I don't sound british at all.
So I decided to watch some of my old home videos to regain my accent but my friends keep telling me to stop faking a british accent and that they find it really annoying. So my question is if i keep faking an accent.. will i be able to get used to it and sound natural?
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No because it isn't a actual British accent, people aren't annoyed by the real thing. Watch the great British bake off and keep listening to the old woman.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nah, it's gone bruv. It's gone :sad:.

Try listening to me when I'm around friends/family. I have a serious accent but I can cut it down too so certain people can understand me lol
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Accents adjust over time depending on your surroundings… I'd be a lot less confident without my accent. Is that weird? Sure… but it's probably best to stick with what you've got, because people can usually tell when you're putting one on.
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
Accents adjust over time depending on your surroundings… I'd be a lot less confident without my accent. Is that weird? Sure… but it's probably best to stick with what you've got, because people can usually tell when you're putting one on.
I'll take what I got considering I get worshipped by people when I play a game with less than 1% British people (I'm not kidding I've had people spam stuff they want me to say during a guild meeting and I once said in text chat in a raidcall room that I was British and another person actually saw that with the noise that is 30+ people speaking and they shouted for everyone to shut up and asked me to speak lol).
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
I'll take what I got considering I get worshipped by people when I play a game with less than 1% British people (I'm not kidding I've had people spam stuff they want me to say during a guild meeting and I once said in text chat in a raidcall room that I was British and another person actually saw that with the noise that is 30+ people speaking and they shouted for everyone to shut up and asked me to speak lol).
I get that with my voice too, I don't really know why… :laugh:
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
I get that with my voice too, I don't really know why… :laugh:
I do have a rather posh accent (weird because there weren't any other posh sounding people around me when I grow up) which was pointed out by a few of my IRL friends and a British friend online. Oh and people who saw my pic thought I was a catfish which can be summed by the following "right you say you're 14, you look 10 and sound 30 so which is it", I just said I'm British.
jkls92
Badges: 20
Report 2 years ago
You can get it back but your friends will obviously notice because they know your current natural accent is American.
headphonesinsoup
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Solid advice. She's hot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.43%
No I am happy with my course choice (461)
58.73%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (111)
14.14%

Watched Threads