MSc at LSE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

I got a first class undergraduate degree two years ago, got a full-time IB analyst offer but was made redundant after a year. I decided to apply to a MSc program to have another chance at recruitment. Since I was very busy working on apps and going to interviews, my grades at MSc are pretty bad. I even had to miss almost half of an exam due to a final round interview and that had a huge impact on my overall grade. On top of this, I also managed to get only one off-cycle internship offer and I am afraid it will be almost impossible to have a full-time position after that. I feel like a complete loser and worried that I've ruined everything. Should I lose any hope to find a good position due to the bad grades? Are MSc grades more important than the undergrad ones? Am I f**ked up? I still can't cope with the burnout after I was fired from that BB IB due to staffing reduction... What should I do with all that?

Any comments (or just kind words) would be highly appreciated!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It seems like you have worked very hard in order to get the grades and to get experience!

What are your Masters grades like? What are you looking to get? A bad Masters might affect applications for further study or academia jobs but if you are looking to get work elsewhere, you can improve your chances with work experience. You have previous work experience and internships which will stand you in good stead. Most employers will be looking for this, not just good Masters grades.
MSc at LSE
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply, cheesecakelove! My MSc grades are really bad - I got a Pass grade with an average of 59% (fell short by 2 marks at a major course, otherwise, I would've gotten Merit). All my marks are in the range of 55-70% but I still have a Pass. My dream is to get to the IBD department again but it seems I've ruined everything. Do you think I still have a chance? What should I write in applications? I think my apps will go straight to a bin as soon as HRs see my MSc grades…
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have completed your Masters and you were close to getting a Merit. Does the department look at your transcript/ individual marks?

I think you still have a chance - put more emphasis on the experience you have and any other achievements and projects you have done.
MSc at LSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
You have completed your Masters and you were close to getting a Merit. Does the department look at your transcript/ individual marks?

I think you still have a chance - put more emphasis on the experience you have and any other achievements and projects you have done.
I wonder which grades are more important - master's or undergrad? Do you think it would be ok if I don't mention master's grade at all in my apps - since many people are applying for the same jobs straight out of undergrad, without any masters?
And many banks set 2.1 as undergrad cut-off. Is it the same with master's grades? Or master's grades don't matter (if it's not a fail) if you had stellar bachelor degree?
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on what the requirements are - if they asking for an undergrad degree of 2:1, your application should still be accepted.

You do have to state what grade you got in your Masters but in writing your applications, if you steer the focus away from what grades you got and highlight the positive things you have done, i.e. projects, work experience and internships, potential employers will consider all aspects of your application. You could also point to examples from your undergrad degree too.
username3433134
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From experience job opportunities usually ask for a certain UG grade requirement (such as 2:1 above) but for my MA It's simply that I have one that's impressive on my CV - not the grade. I think marks for Masters levels is only really significant if you were wanting to study further beyond that so don't worry.
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MSc at LSE)
Hi!

I got a first class undergraduate degree two years ago, got a full-time IB analyst offer but was made redundant after a year. I decided to apply to a MSc program to have another chance at recruitment. Since I was very busy working on apps and going to interviews, my grades at MSc are pretty bad. I even had to miss almost half of an exam due to a final round interview and that had a huge impact on my overall grade. On top of this, I also managed to get only one off-cycle internship offer and I am afraid it will be almost impossible to have a full-time position after that. I feel like a complete loser and worried that I've ruined everything. Should I lose any hope to find a good position due to the bad grades? Are MSc grades more important than the undergrad ones? Am I f**ked up? I still can't cope with the burnout after I was fired from that BB IB due to staffing reduction... What should I do with all that?

If you think they're so bad they'll hinder your CV, just don't put it on there and explain the year gap with all the applications and interviews and stuff.
katuok
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Moura)
If you think they're so bad they'll hinder your CV, just don't put it on there and explain the year gap with all the applications and interviews and stuff.
That would be even worse in my opinion. Just put the master without the grades on the CV
uiopü
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would also put masters without the grades on the CV.

Why do you think itll be hard to convert the off-cycle you got? I dont think they'll care about your grades if your performance on the job is good.
Terry Tibbs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You already have a years experience full time and an off cycle internship offer, if you can't get a job after that it won't be because of your masters grade, it'll be because you're simply incompetent.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi!

curious to know why you were fired
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I even had to miss almost half of an exam due to a final round interview and that had a huge impact on my overall grade.
Wut?!
Arkham Funfair
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My masters grades are pretty average because I got a job mid-way through and realised I didn't need it. My employer did not even care that I was studying for one, instead only being bothered about my undergrad- your undergrad is more important to employers. You'll be asked to justify your decision to study one a lot of the time (I usually go with "I thought it would increase my international prospects"

Really, a masters grade only matters if you're trying to get further in academia. Loads of people don't even know they're graded. I've met so many people that think they're pass/fail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (211)
56.57%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.4%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (41)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.9%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.29%

Watched Threads