The Student Room Group

penguin VS. summer - bizzy(_penguins)'s 2017 Summer Bucket List!

[countdown]31/08/2017[/countdown]

Hi there! :excited: :hi::hi::hi:

After reading some of the previous Summer Bucket List entries from previous years(which were awesome btw :yes:), I was inspired to start my own list. :smile: Needless to say I've had a month off already and tbh I haven't done much . at all That excludes my birthday and visiting HP Studios in London and spending all my money :redface: :yeah:

I haven't really done too much in previous summers but since I am not planning to go to uni.(yet anyway, I might one day though). I'll be making the most of one of my last long summers, so LET'S DO THIS!

THE KEY

Completed = :penguinhug:
In progress = :penguin:
Not completed yet = :tux:
Didn't manage to complete (but will eventually) =:diep:

PENGUIN'SSUMMER
BUCKET LIST!!!

#1 Email the people I need to, to ask them to be a referee. :penguinhug:

#2 Get a part time job
:penguinhug:
#3 Apply for provisional driving licence :penguin:
#4 Start learning driving theory :diep:
#5 Download those driving apps on the App store :diep:
#6 Apply for college transport :penguinhug:
#7 Find an outfit to wear for family friend's wedding :penguinhug:
Me and my parents have been invited to a family friend's wedding in September. I have no IDEA what to wear! If anyone knows what teens wear to weddings help me. I am still a n00b regarding wedding fashion.
#8 Lose some weight. :penguin:
Ideally at least a stone would be nice but idk :smile:
#9 Go cycling at least 3 times a week :penguin:
A cycle round my village will be nice, especially in the evening :tongue:
#10 Go swimming at least once :diep:
#11 Play Pokemon GO! :diep:
I'm really excited for this! I couldn't do this last year or before because I didn't have enough data for i t, but I hoping to try it out properly now my phone's data plan has been change.
#12 Bake something new :smile: :diep:
#13 Bake my Nan's birthday cake you can follow my [url="]TSR Baking Blog
will be updated regularly
If you have any baking recommendations please let me know :h:

#14 Make ice-lollies :diep:
#15 Find a tea and coffee I like :biggrin: :diep:
This is a strange one.I don't like tea or coffee. :redface: Over the summer I've decided to try some makes and see if I like any, especially since where I did my work experience the staff there. thought it was weird not to like it...think I'll save myself the embarrassment next time.
#16 Start bullet journelling or keep some kind of journal :tux:
#17 Keep up with my learning German on Duolingo & Tinycards + reach 54 skills:penguin:
#18 Have a Tech Free day yes that does include TSR :tux:
#19 Go to the cinema :tux:
#20 Use a bus to go somewhere new :tux:
#21 Grow my nails and try out some nail polish & nail art for the wedding :tux:
#22 Try out some new hairstyles :penguin:
#23 Start and finish this picture from an Art Foil kit :diep:
#24 Maybe meet a TSRian? :diep:
#25 Practice some nifty tsr bb code :penguinhug:
#26 Put up new curtains and wallpaper in bedroom :diep:
#27 Make slime :diep:
#28 Go to the library at least once (need to go, feels like ages) :penguinhug:
#29 Find some new music artists to listen to :penguin:
#30 Write some fan mail to JK Rowling even though she will probably never reply :diep:
#31 Have a Harry Potter film marathon :penguin:
#32 Watch Fantastic Beasts :penguinhug:

#33 Practice guitar chords every day in August. :penguin:
#34 Do some colouring in the adult colouring books I've got :penguin:
#35 Take at least 1 picture a day in August. :penguin:
#36 Watch all of series 18 and 19 of Holby City :diep:
Recently I've been hooked. I've only seen half of series 19, I need to catch up on missed plot holes. :u: :thumbsup:
#37 Re-watch the modern era of New Who :penguin:That includes its spin off franchise including:
*SJA
*Class
*Torchwood - I got the boxset for Christmas and I still haven't had time to watch them yet! :sadnod:

I have until Christmas to re-watch and make sense of everything.

In the meantime I can read and obsess about current Doctor Who news :woo:
#38 Watch the films in spoiler below :diep:

Spoiler

#39 Set up a GoodReads account. :penguinhug:

#40 Set up a LinkedIn account :tux:
#41 Make this blog awesome :penguinhug:
#42 Complete all the items on the list of blog :penguin:
I'll add some more on in the mean time, if I find anything else to do :smile:

Edit: I took the info out of the spoilers cos they got bigger :colonhash:

:cool::cool::cool::cool: :penguinhug: to all. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

THIS IS...
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bizzy_penguin

After reading some of the previous Summer Bucket List entries from previous years(which were awesome btw :yes:), I was inspired to start my own list. :smile: Needless to say I've had a month off already and tbh I haven't done much . at all That excludes my birthday and visiting HP Studios in London and spending all my money :redface: :yeah:

I haven't really done too much in previous summers but since I am not planning to go to uni.(yet anyway, I might one day though) I'll be living under the Just Do It slogan to get stuff done :tongue:

THE KEY
Didn't complete = :diep:

PENGUIN'S SUMMER BUCKET LIST

Email the people I need to, to ask them to be a referee

Get a part time job

Apply for provisional driving licence

Start learning driving theory

Find an outfit to wear for family friend's wedding

Spoiler

Lose some weight

Spoiler

Go cycling

Spoiler

Go swimming at least once

Play Pokemon GO!

Spoiler

Bake something new :smile:

Spoiler

Make ice-lollies

Find a tea and coffee I like :biggrin:

Spoiler

Start bullet journelling

Keep up with my learning German on Duolingo and Tinycards

Have a Tech Free day yes that does include TSR

Go to the cinema

Use a bus

maybe meet a TSRian?

Put up new curtains and wallpaper in bedroom

Make slime

Go to the library at least once (need to go, feels like ages)

Find some new music artists to listen to

Have a Harry Potter film marathon

Watch Fantastic Beasts

Practice guitar chords every day

Re-watch the modern era of New Who

Do some colouring in the adult colouring books I've got

Take at least 1 picture a day

Watch some Holby City episodes

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll add some more on in the mean time, if I find anything else to do

:cool::cool::cool::cool::woo: :penguinhug: to all.

THIS IS...

Which TSRians are you planning on meeting :colone:

The Harry Potter marathon sounds fun!

You have a busy summer ahead... I mean a bizzy summer ahead :ahee:

I haven't really done too much in previous summers but since I am not planning to go to uni.(yet anyway, I might one day though) I'll be living under the Just Do It slogan to get stuff done :tongue:

THE KEY

Get a part time job

Spoiler

Lose some weight

Spoiler

Go cycling

Spoiler

Play Pokemon GO!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Make ice-lollies

Spoiler

Start bullet journelling

Go to the cinema

Use a bus

maybe meet a TSRian?

Make slime

Watch Fantastic Beasts

Spoiler

Spoiler

THIS IS...

Love this! :woohoo:
Go bizzy! :woo: :party: :rave: :yay:

THE KEY

Get a part time job

Spoiler

Lose some weight

Spoiler

Go cycling

Spoiler

Play Pokemon GO!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Make ice-lollies

Spoiler

Start bullet journelling

Go to the cinema

Use a bus

maybe meet a TSRian?

Make slime

Watch Fantastic Beasts

Spoiler

Spoiler

THIS IS...

So many things :hide: but it looks like you have a great summer ahead of you :thumbsup:

Good luck, definitely following this :woo:
Original post by UWS
Which TSRians are you planning on meeting :colone:

The Harry Potter marathon sounds fun!

You have a busy summer ahead... I mean a bizzy summer ahead :ahee:

I didn't have time to watch all the films before I went to London, but plenty of time now :yes:
hmmm. fair point. idk yet :biggrin: there's over 1.8 million tsr users - so can't be that hard to find one?

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Love this! :woohoo:
Go bizzy! :woo: :party: :rave: :yay:

Original post by IKEAPanda37
So many things :hide: but it looks like you have a great summer ahead of you :thumbsup:

Good luck, definitely following this :woo:

:jumphug: cool stuff :cool: can tag you in updates if you want if they work :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)

09/07/2017 #Update001
:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:
:yawn::sigh: so tired but:sogood::yawn:
:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

I started off the day by setting my alarm off at the wrong time:facepalm:normally on the weekends I get up at around quarter to eight but ended up waking up at quarter to seven instead :frown: ended up going back to :sleep: in the end.

Proper summer stuff will probably start tomorrow but I finally completed this colouring-in thingy which I got for my b-day. I also went for a mini cycle in the evening tonight and I was actually quite surprised at how so many people were still outside in our village. It was faily enjoyable cycling so I'll do it again tomorrow :yes:

I think I've finished the picture below now otherwise it'll become too multi coloured :tongue: :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

12/07/2017 #Update002

Three days have passed since I last updated so what have I done in that time? :smile:

Slept for nearly half a day because I felt tired :frown: not very productive, but oh well.

:penguinhug: Completed :penguinhug:

Watched the Fantastic Beasts film:woo: it was AMAZING!, as always - enough said.

:penguin:In progress :penguin:

Email the people I need to, to ask them to be a referee done, but I hope they reply, otherwise I can't fill out any online application forms which is a real pain :frown:

Started watching Doctor Who - I'm about to start series 2 episode 2 :tongue:

Radio Times figured it takes 21 days and 22 hours to binge watch all of them in one go, so hopefully on a good day I can get through 6 episodes :tongue: :yes: and it'll take less time since I'm only doing the modern era atm
(edited 6 years ago)
13/07/2017 :work: The Search for p/t work

OK, so this morning I noticed that a job application for Sainsbury's until I realised I needed 2 references, which I didn't have at that point :frown: , I emailed 2 people at college who could potentially be a referee, it took them about 3 hours to reply which is really kind of them, so I can use them for job references now :woo: I'm still waiting for the other reply so its still pending atm, but I've got enough references atm which is good. :party:

It was going so well until the online application form wouldn't let me click next to move on :frown: :gah: and then a few minutes later the job advertised disappeared off the site completely, so I'm keeping looking :smile:

Spoiler

:nyan: :nyan: :nyan: :nyan:

:music::music::music: Song of the Day! :music::music::music:

[video="youtube;29GWMT0GB6s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29GWMT0GB6s[/video]

(edited 6 years ago)

17/07/2016 #Update004
"excuses, excuses"

Honestly, I haven't updated because there's more point writing stuff when I've done something, instead of writing gibberish when I haven't done stuff off my list... :rofl: :biggrin:

Friday 14th July

I'd found another job advert at the local cinema so I've applied and handed in my CV. Spent ages checking over my cover letter just in case for any mistakes :tongue: Later in the day I went to go hand it in to one of the staff behind the desk, and they said the recruitment manager would hopefully get back within a week.

When I got back home, I'd received a "top 10 films this month" email sent from a mailing list, so the only way they'd got my email address is from my CV, and I'm assuming & hoping this is an OK sign, as far recruitment process is concerned. :woo:

Saturday 15th July
I can't remember what I did that day tbh :redface: :spank:
Watched The Maze Runner film in the evening though, and it was pretty good in the end, unfortunately its in a series and I don't have the other films. :frown:

Sunday 16th July

hp.png
Evidence I'd started the marathon even if it was never completed properly, I'll probably continue where I left off :laugh:

I'd planned to do my Harry Potter Marathon on that day :yes: Started in the morning at 9:50 and made it to the Prisoner of Azkaban, and about half way through the film I started getting worried that I would miss the announcement for the 13th Doctor, so went downstairs to watch the end of Wimbledon (tbf I didn't watch very much of it because I was eagerly awaiting the newcomer :party:

Spoiler

In the evening I watched the news and caught up on Casualty, and omg that ending :yikes:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
And I was typing on another browser, I'd finished my bucket list update and nooooooooo TSR's editing just messed up and deleted my work so I had to start-over this update:frown:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 17th

Nothing really to write about here :sadnod: I did watch a load of foodie programmes on TV though. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
18/07/2017 #Update005

I think today's been quite productive actually considering how nervous I've been all day :smile: This morning I had a blood test at my GP surgery, I tried a new technique my Mum told me about, which was to put my fist under the elbow in the which the needle was being put in to support it. And you know what? It worked and didn't hurt too much this time, so hopefully I won't bruise too much this time :happy2:

When I was travelling to the GP surgery I received a phone call which I didn't answer in time :frown:, & to make things worse my phone was on low battery so I had to wait until I got home to phone them back.
THEN I received a text saying I'd received a voice message which was ALSO a problem, because recently I've had my phone data package changed which meant my voice message pin hadn't been set up yet :frown:bit :stupid: me considering I've been applying for jobs

Once I'd set up the voice message id, I finally managed to listen to the voice message. It was basically the hiring manager asking me to call back if possible if I'm still interested in the job I applied for.
I've just received a phone call from them now offering me a trial shift in the kitchen, so I'm definitely looking forward to that on Friday. :thumbsup::dance::woo:

Ironically when I was younger I was washing my hands in the sink in a restaurant toilets when one of the staff members came in and said to never get a job working in a kitchen. :laugh: ah wait... another family member who also's a chef also said not to get a job in a kitchen:facepalm:well that shows I don't listen :doh:

It's irrelevant to post, but I'll also be watching Holby City tonight :yes:

Other stuff I've done today:

:penguinhug:Completed :penguinhug:

Set up a GoodReads account. The homepage looked a little complicated but in fact it was rather easy tbh.

Email potential candidates to be my referee. DONE - the other one emailed me back saying that's fine :smile:

:penguin:In Progress:penguin:

Watch all the modern era Doctor Who episodes. I've been putting it off because I found the beginning of Tooth and Claw a little boring, I was really tempted to skip it, currently I'm halfway through School Reunion.

Reach 54 skills in German on Duolingo. I have got quite far already but I had a break from it so I need to keep each section the gold colour.

Practise some TSR code stuff. Started I worked out how to get the picture at the top of my post but its only coming up as the word attachment and you have to click on it to see it.

Also tagging in some people who may be interested :smile:
@IKEAPanda37 @CheeseIsVeg @Kindred

18/07/2017 #Update005

I think today's been quite productive actually considering how nervous I've been all day :smile: This morning I had a blood test at my GP surgery, I tried a new technique my Mum told me about, which was to put my fist under the elbow in the which the needle was being put in to support it. And you know what? It worked and didn't hurt too much this time, so hopefully I won't bruise too much this time :happy2:

When I was travelling to the GP surgery I received a phone call which I didn't answer in time :frown:, & to make things worse my phone was on low battery so I had to wait until I got home to phone them back.
THEN I received a text saying I'd received a voice message which was ALSO a problem, because recently I've had my phone data package changed which meant my voice message pin hadn't been set up yet :frown:bit :stupid: me considering I've been applying for jobs

Once I'd set up the voice message id, I finally managed to listen to the voice message. It was basically the hiring manager asking me to call back if possible if I'm still interested in the job I applied for.
I've just received a phone call from them now offering me a trial shift in the kitchen, so I'm definitely looking forward to that on Friday. :thumbsup::dance::woo:

Ironically when I was younger I was washing my hands in the sink in a restaurant toilets when one of the staff members came in and said to never get a job working in a kitchen. :laugh: ah wait... another family member who also's a chef also said not to get a job in a kitchen:facepalm:well that shows I don't listen :doh:

Set up a GoodReads account. The homepage looked a little complicated but in fact it was rather easy tbh.

Email potential candidates to be my referee. DONE - the other one emailed me back saying that's fine :smile:

Watch all the modern era Doctor Who episodes. I've been putting it off because I found the beginning of Tooth and Claw a little boring, I was really tempted to skip it, currently I'm halfway through School Reunion.

Reach 54 skills in German on Duolingo. I have got quite far already but I had a break from it so I need to keep each section the gold colour.

Practise some TSR code stuff. Started I worked out how to get the picture at the top of my post but its only coming up as the word attachment and you have to click on it to see it.

:lovehug: Hope you love the new job!!!!
You're encouraging me to get back onto memrise :woo:
I am glad you are well :hugs:
Tooth and claw is amazing :getmecoat: I love Doctor Who but haven't watched more than 3 episodes with Bill in it due to poor storylines and a new target audience. Unless this changes (irrespective of the new doctor) I shall not watch it again.
:lovehug: Hope you love the new job!!!!
You're encouraging me to get back onto memrise :woo:
I am glad you are well :hugs:
Tooth and claw is amazing :getmecoat: I love Doctor Who but haven't watched more than 3 episodes with Bill in it due to poor storylines and a new target audience. Unless this changes (irrespective of the new doctor) I shall not watch it again.

Thank you! its trial shift so I'm not getting paid but i'll hopefully be good experience :tongue:
is Memrise free then ? I use it when I was doing my gcse's but it kept giving me a price tag if i wanted to access more stuff
Maybe its time to put "Watch all of Doctor Who series 10" on your bucket list? :smile: but I don't blame you, I watched Christopher Eccleston's series for the first time last week, and series 1 had me glued to the screen, series 10 not so much. I'll probably keep on watching it anyway since there's nothing else good on Saturday night tv anymore :sadnod:
Thank you! its trial shift so I'm not getting paid but i'll hopefully be good experience :tongue:
is Memrise free then ? I use it when I was doing my gcse's but it kept giving me a price tag if i wanted to access more stuff
Maybe its time to put "Watch all of Doctor Who series 10" on your bucket list? :smile: but I don't blame you, I watched Christopher Eccleston's series for the first time last week, and series 1 had me glued to the screen, series 10 not so much. I'll probably keep on watching it anyway since there's nothing else good on Saturday night tv anymore :sadnod:

Should be! :penguinhug:
Yes! oh :s-smilie: It may have changed since I used it then :redface:
Maybe :mmm: I've seen all of them so many times now though :love: I loved series 1 :love:
You should, it is amazing!

18/07/2017 #Update005

Well done on getting through your blood test :h:

Spoiler

Also congrats on the trial shift :hugs:

I've never watched Holby City altho I've always said it seems like a less scary/disaster-filled version of Casualty :tongue: I did actually watch Casualty once tho (idk why, i thik it was one and i got emotionally invested) and I cried at the end, so emotional :cry:

Ooh Doctor Who, I used to watch it, I believe I watched some of the Christopher Ecclestone ones, I definitely watched all the David Tennant episodes but got bored earlier on in the Matt Smith series. I actually watched a few of this series episodes and I actually quite liked Billie tbh (dont hate me pls :hide:) but I'm not really a fan (everythgni is just proper confusing :dontknow:)

18/07/2017 #Update005

Thanks for the tag. This is really cool :yep:

Does your place not give you a pillow for your arm? I love my nurses for that cos tbh I think just holding my arm up for as long as some people take makes it ache. :rolleyes:

CONGRATULATIONS! :yay:
That's awesome news. I hope your trial goes well!

Oh god adding pictures! If you look on sign of the day you'll notice some you have to click, some are fine and some are duplicated. I also gave up on some words all together cos they wouldn't attach properly. Pictures are a pain :tongue:
What I need to learn is how to do colour coding so I can make things PURPLE!:nutcase:
Should be! :penguinhug:
Yes! oh :s-smilie: It may have changed since I used it then :redface:
Maybe :mmm: I've seen all of them so many times now though :love: I loved series 1 :love:
You should, it is amazing!

I think it has :smile: I re-downloaded it and it looks quite interesting :tongue: by the looks of it so far it'll probably be more useful for grammar compared to duolingo
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Well done on getting through your blood test :h:

Spoiler

Also congrats on the trial shift :hugs:

I've never watched Holby City altho I've always said it seems like a less scary/disaster-filled version of Casualty :tongue: I did actually watch Casualty once tho (idk why, i thik it was one and i got emotionally invested) and I cried at the end, so emotional :cry:

Ooh Doctor Who, I used to watch it, I believe I watched some of the Christopher Ecclestone ones, I definitely watched all the David Tennant episodes but got bored earlier on in the Matt Smith series. I actually watched a few of this series episodes and I actually quite liked Billie tbh (dont hate me pls :hide:) but I'm not really a fan (everythgni is just proper confusing :dontknow:)

thanks! :jumphug:
I believe a blood test to be different from giving blood :smile: I've worked out that a blood test is to test your levels of whatever's being tested e.g. if the doctor/nurse wants to test vitamin d levels they'll test for that.
:yes: Holby seems to be more focused on the characters compared to Casualty. I still haven't gotten totally used to the over dramatic disasters that land the patients up in hospital. And I Can't Believe Charlie Is Paid THAT much either.
Haha, yes it can be confusing , hence I'm re-watching. :smile:
I actually like Rose, at the beginning she was annoying but the character development sorted that out in the end mostly.
thanks! :jumphug:
I believe a blood test to be different from giving blood :smile: I've worked out that a blood test is to test your levels of whatever's being tested e.g. if the doctor/nurse wants to test vitamin d levels they'll test for that.
:yes: Holby seems to be more focused on the characters compared to Casualty. I still haven't gotten totally used to the over dramatic disasters that land the patients up in hospital. And I Can't Believe Charlie Is Paid THAT much either.
Haha, yes it can be confusing , hence I'm re-watching. :smile:
I actually like Rose, at the beginning she was annoying but the character development sorted that out in the end mostly.

No problem :h:

Ah ok :h: That makes sense :thumbsup:

Yep, I prefer shows like that to ones that like kill off half the cast in a fire or something :smile: Yeah, its why I could never watch it, I dont like watching stuff like that :frown:

Omg really? I'm quite surprised he gets paid that much :shock:

Yeah I liked Rose too, in fact I cant think of a companion I didnt like :tongue:
Original post by Kindred
Thanks for the tag. This is really cool :yep:

Does your place not give you a pillow for your arm? I love my nurses for that cos tbh I think just holding my arm up for as long as some people take makes it ache. :rolleyes:
CONGRATULATIONS! :yay:
That's awesome news. I hope your trial goes well!

Oh god adding pictures! If you look on sign of the day you'll notice some you have to click, some are fine and some are duplicated. I also gave up on some words all together cos they wouldn't attach properly. Pictures are a pain :tongue:
What I need to learn is how to do colour coding so I can make things PURPLE!:nutcase:

What yours gave you a pillow?! lucky! :smile: I've never seen a pillow in sight of the area of the blood test room :no: though the nurse did give me some test tubes to hold :redface:
I've also seen that some threads are purple, I also interested to know how you do that green drop down box thing (that one similar to the spoiler)
that must have been a pain - when attaching pictures on a post it said it had to be less than 500mb or something near that amount
are you doing a bucket list this year btw? :h:
What yours gave you a pillow?! lucky! :smile: I've never seen a pillow in sight of the area of the blood test room :no: though the nurse did give me some test tubes to hold :redface:
I've also seen that some threads are purple, I also interested to know how you do that green drop down box thing (that one similar to the spoiler)
that must have been a pain - when attaching pictures on a post it said it had to be less than 500mb or something near that amount
are you doing a bucket list this year btw? :h:

Oooh test tubes! I get a squishy brain when I need something to squeeze. :tongue:
Well if you haven't found it already there's a bunch of editing info here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=bbcode
which I am probably going to make my way through gradually.
Omg omg it's purple! The text is purple! I did it! I'm a genius!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest