Quasa's Guide To The British Grand Prix Watch

quasa
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

Next week is the 72nd Formula One Grand Prix. It is being held at the Silverstone Circuit in Northamptonshire and the even lasts for 4 days between Thursday 13th July and Sunday 16th July 2017.

The reason I thought Id start this is because it is arguably the number 1 annual sports event in the UK (save for Wimbledon) and as someone who is fortunate to be going for the 3rd time, I thought Id share some travel tips, history and info about going there. So sit back and enjoy the thread (remember folks you can write anything as long as it isn't discriminatory towards others / apolitical).
CheeseIsVeg
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How exciting :woo:
I've never been to Silverstone, what is it like? :daydreaming:
Looking forward to the Grand Prix!!! :woohoo:
(Original post by quasa)
Hi everyone,

Next week is the 72nd Formula One Grand Prix. It is being held at the Silverstone Circuit in Northamptonshire and the even lasts for 4 days between Thursday 13th July and Sunday 16th July 2017.

The reason I thought Id start this is because it is arguably the number 1 annual sports event in the UK (save for Wimbledon) and as someone who is fortunate to be going for the 3rd time, I thought Id share some travel tips, history and info about going there. So sit back and enjoy the thread (remember folks you can write anything as long as it isn't discriminatory towards others / apolitical).
quasa
Rep:
?
So lets talk about the British Grand Prix. It is 1 of 2 races (the other being the italian grand prix) to hold grand prix races continuously since 1926 and Silverstone has the distinction of being the venue of the very first Formula 1 race on the 13th May 1950, which was won by the first ever f1 world champion Nino Farina in the alfa romeo 158 grand prix car.

In terms of success, Jim Clark and Alain Prost are the most successful drivers at the british grand prix winning 5 races a piece (Clark won all 5 for Lotus for all but 1 year between 1962 and 1967; Prost won it 5 times for 4 different constructors: 1983 for Renault, 1985 and 1989 for Mclaren Honda; 1990 for Ferrari and 1993 for Williams Renault). Of the current drivers, Lewis Hamilton is by far and away the most successful driver at Silverstone having won the British GP 4 times (2008 in a wet weather masterclass for Mclaren Mercedes; 3 years in a row for Mercedes in the dominant v6 Hybrids the last 3 years). the next nearest is Fernando Alonso who has won it twice in 2006 for Renault and 2011 for Ferrari. The other drivers on the grid who have won the British Grand Prix are Kimi Raikkonen in 2007 for Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel in 2009 for Red Bull Renault.

Ferrari is the most successful constructor at the British Grand Prix having won it 15 times (most recent of which was 2011), with Mclaren being 1 win behind them with 14 (most recent 2008) and Willims being 3rd (most recent 1997). Mercedes, whilst only having 5 wins at Silverstone have been the most dominant team here having won the race for the last 4 years in a row.

In terms of form going into the race, the Mercedes f1 team seem to be the team to beat with Sebastian Vettel being the driver who is currently leading the championship. Ferrari are finally introducing their revolutionary 3d printed engine at the race (which is rumoured to be producing 50 more horsepower) but they have allegedly lost their their engine chief lorenzo sassi (based on the way he has been sacked I wouldnt be surprised if he has been moved onto the fiat group's alfa revival f1 programme).

Lewis hamilton is the driver with form around silverstone and the weather for the race tends to be hot and sunny or rainy like mad. So stay tuned for a weather report.
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
How exciting :woo:
I've never been to Silverstone, what is it like? :daydreaming:
Looking forward to the Grand Prix!!! :woohoo:
cool, are you heading there / for how many days?
CheeseIsVeg
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by quasa)
cool, are you heading there / for how many days?
Unfortunately I am not :sad: It is on one of the things I would like to do but never get round to getting the tickets for
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a bad joke that this race is under threat because it's not profitable. The best-attended race on the calendar, and the tickets aren't even that affordable.

I strongly object to any public money going anywhere near the event, they need to price it accordingly not be going cap in hand for our tax money when public sector workers are being told they need to suck it up year after year.

I'd love to go to Silverstone but frankly, it's too expensive and too poorly organised. Travel in and out of Silverstone is painful. And the ticket prices are a joke. I paid less money for a 4-day general admission pass with the premium zone access in Melbourne as it costs for just the Sunday general admission ticket for Silverstone.

So I've no plans to attend in the near future unless either the prices are made better value or I become wealthy enough that I just don't worry about it, and can afford a helicopter to go because sod that traffic.
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
It's a bad joke that this race is under threat because it's not profitable. The best-attended race on the calendar, and the tickets aren't even that affordable.

I strongly object to any public money going anywhere near the event, they need to price it accordingly not be going cap in hand for our tax money when public sector workers are being told they need to suck it up year after year.

I'd love to go to Silverstone but frankly, it's too expensive and too poorly organised. Travel in and out of Silverstone is painful. And the ticket prices are a joke. I paid less money for a 4-day general admission pass with the premium zone access in Melbourne as it costs for just the Sunday general admission ticket for Silverstone.

So I've no plans to attend in the near future unless either the prices are made better value or I become wealthy enough that I just don't worry about it, and can afford a helicopter to go because sod that traffic.
In terms of costs, there are some breaks to be had provided you leave close (relatively) to the circuit as well as being a member of the armed forces or being disabled (2 for 1 if you are disabled) + if your not an adult the prices arent so expensive.

For those who don't get at what BigYoSpeck is referring to, Silverstone has a contract till 2019 for the British GP, however it is pulling out / seeking to pull out of it as it is too expensive to hold it due to Formula One Management requiring shed loads of money to host the event, which the ticket costs barely cover.

I was fortunate to get tickets for the start finish straight due to a sheer coincidence (essentially booked early, live in an area which they gave 20% off and because I am travelling with a disabled person, its 2 tickets for the price of 1 for the weekend ticket, which resulted in us paying £349 alltogether for 4 days. Were it not for said circumstances, I would have had to have paid almost 3 times the amount to go and definitely wouldnt have been able to go.

Sadly, a lot of countries have state backing to host their f1 races, be it from local governemnts (such as france and their state for next year) or their country, such as russia and middle eastern races. Originally f1 at the british grand prix was sanctioned by the RAC (royal automobile club) but the government doesnt want anything to do with it, despite the welsh government greenlighting a new circuit which will easily be more advanced than silverstone.

Regarding traffic, there is a way to beat it, which I wont be disclosing till Sunday as it is a secret route which I dont want clogged but lets just say if you live in herts beds, bucks, you can get their quite nicely. Parking isnt really an issue depending on where you are but agree it needs to be sorted (then again you get more people than you would a football match so that kinda explains it and silverstone is nowhere near as well funded as a football team).
quasa
Rep:
?
In terms of Price, Id say at most, £20-80 a day for a weekend ticket is ideal depending on general admission-top spec grandstand. anyone else agrees (£300 at absolute most for the entire 4 day event)? currently for the 3 day event for the start finish straight it is £425 for 3 days (~£141.33/ day). If that ticket was upgraded to 4 days but price was the same, it is still £105.5 a day. On top of that, parking is £65 for 3 days, so for 3 days it works out at more than £180/ day which is a ripoff imo.

When I last went in 2007, I was at Copse (the then 1st corner) and had great views of the start/finish line and pit exit. For 3 days it was still expensive but it was £280 for 3 days in the top spec grandstand there (~£93 / day) and parking was included in the price. Formula 1 has always been expensive but it is shocking to see how expensive it has become despite not much more economical growth vs. 2007.

The time before was in 2002 and for 1 Sunday ticket at Luffield with views of the final sector, pit entry and part of the main straight then was £220 just for the Sunday (in total, only £220 was paid for me and my dad as back then under 12s got in 3 and I was 10).
ValiantExistence
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by quasa)
Hi everyone,

oOOoohh have fun

What part of the circuit are you going to be at?
quasa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carmen.xx)
oOOoohh have fun

What part of the circuit are you going to be at?
Cheers .

I'm going to be at the start finish straight (more accurately between the final corner and start finish line).
quasa
Rep:
?
This post is a brief history about the venue and why it is important / why recent news is saddening.

Silverstone, as I previously mentioned is the 1st ever venue to host a formula 1 race (grand prix racing has existed since 1906, with the first grand prix championship being held in the 1920s, formula 1 as a championship has been since 1950) on the 13th May 1950. It was won by nino farina in an alfa romeo and is arguably 1 of the most iconic circuits in the world of motorsport.

The original circuit was made up of the perimiter roads for the old silverstone airfield that was used by the allies in WW2 but the 1st race here was held in 1948. In 1950 the race was won by Nino Farino driving the alfa romeo 156 racecar and to this day is 1 of the oldest venues to be used on the f1 calendar.

The original layout in 1948 was overhauled in 1949 into Silverstone's most iconic layout which was largely unchanged until 1991 where the iconic maggots and beckets complex was added, as well as the priory, brooklands and luffield corners. In 2010 the circuit underwent yet another redesign in order to attract / be more suitable for moto gp motorcycle racing and this meant turning abbey chicane into a fast right hander, adding "the village" complex and reintroducing the national straight at the cost of the priory corner.

Silverstone is generally 1 of the fastest circuits on the calendar and between 1991 and 2010 was notorious for a lack of overtaking. Whilst it is still hard to overtake, it does produce magnificent overtakes in formula 2 and WEC machinery, as well as drs aided ones in f1 (chances are f1 will be harder to overtake vs last year).

Sadly for british fans, silverstone confirmed today that it will no longer hold the british grand prix after 2019, yet this does present the opportunity for the british grand prix to be held at London Docklands from 2020 onwards. That being said, this may turn out to be a generic street race ie decent layout with virtually no overtakes but it remains to be seen what will happen in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (54)
5.68%
Fairly positive (298)
31.34%
Just another year... (373)
39.22%
Is it 2020 yet? (226)
23.76%

Watched Threads