The Student Room Group

Lost confidence in the marking process

Hello,
I'm a first-year university student who received his first-year results (6 modules).
I feel like I've lost confidence in the marking process and the education system overall.
Basically, my tutor emailed/told me in person my overall results last week.
I then received a second email from a different person - the leader (and exam marker) of a particular module confirming my result for that module (let's call that result X).
(So, that's two figures of authority from my university who have confirmed my overall exam results).
Yesterday, I received my overall exam results via my university profile (as all students had - it was the formal date by which we get them).
However, the mark for X (the module result which these two people had confirmed beforehand) had decreased by more than 20 marks!
I don't know who or what to believe at this stage - the results I got yesterday, or the result my tutor AND module leader (the person who had marked the exam themselves) had told me.
The mark I received yesterday could be a technical error on the system?
It seems like a form of misconduct (and abuse) for two markers to email/tell me my results, then CHANGE them (over 2 weeks after the moderation process - can they even do this?), one day before I get my 'official' results via my profile.
I have lost all confidence in the marking system if this is the case.
It seems unprofessional and a form of professional misconduct - as the staff know the importance students place on grades (and how they affect their mental health).
What should I do at this stage?
I feel like complaining.
Original post by JackSE
Hello,
I'm a first-year university student who received his first-year results (6 modules).
I feel like I've lost confidence in the marking process and the education system overall.
I then received a second email from a different person - the leader (and exam marker) of a particular module confirming my result for that module (let's call that result X).
(So, that's two figures of authority from my university who have confirmed my overall exam results).
Yesterday, I received my overall exam results via my university profile (as all students had - it was the formal date by which we get them).
However, the mark for X (the module result which these two people had confirmed beforehand) had decreased by more than 20 marks!
I don't know who or what to believe at this stage - the results I got yesterday, or the result my tutor AND module leader (the person who had marked the exam themselves) had told me.
It seems like a form of misconduct (and abuse) for two markers to email/tell me my results, then CHANGE them (over 2 weeks after the moderation process - can they even do this?), one day before I get my 'official' results via my profile.
It seems unprofessional and a form of professional misconduct - as the staff know the importance students place on grades (and how they affect their mental health).
I feel like complaining.

Then make a complaint and ask them to explain. Go and see your tutor as well.

Its a bit much to go down the mental health route imo. just go and sort it out.
Original post by JackSE
Hello,
I feel like complaining.

They marked the exam but it's then moderated internally and externally they could have been telling you what they gave you before moderation. I had the exact opposite after moderation we ( my group and I) went up 30% in moderation from 20%(fail) to 50%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by JackSE
Hello,
I feel like complaining.

All marks are provisional until ratified by the Exam Board.All work is second marked. A proportion of exam papers and coursework will also be sent for external moderation by an expert outside the uni after they have been first/second marked. Initial provisional marks can be brought up or down at any of those stages.

The two members of staff who told you your provisional marks, were completely wrong to do so. At my uni that would be a severe procedural breach and I think you could justifiably lodge a formal complaint. See your Student Union for advice on how to do that. Check with colleagues to see if anyone else has had this happen to them as well - it seems unlikely to have been an isolated incident.

However, your complaint is based on the fact that you were told your provisional marks when you should not have been. Even if your complaint is upheld, you won't get your original marks reinstated as a result. You need to think through what you would gain from complaining, and whether it's worth the hassle.

Basically, the marking process is sound and has worked as it should do, with at least two, and possible three levels of moderation. What has gone wrong, is your lecturers' failure to follow the procedures and their decisions to contact you unofficially.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
All marks are provisional until ratified by the Exam Board.All work is second marked. A proportion of exam papers and coursework will also be sent for external moderation by an expert outside the uni after they have been first/second marked. Initial provisional marks can be brought up or down at any of those stages.

The two members of staff who told you your provisional marks, were completely wrong to do so. At my uni that would be a severe procedural breach and I think you could justifiably lodge a formal complaint. See your Student Union for advice on how to do that. Check with colleagues to see if anyone else has had this happen to them as well - it seems unlikely to have been an isolated incident.

However, your complaint is based on the fact that you were told your provisional marks when you should not have been. Even if your complaint is upheld, you won't get your original marks reinstated as a result. You need to think through what you would gain from complaining, and whether it's worth the hassle.

Basically, the marking process is sound and has worked as it should do, with at least two, and possible three levels of moderation. What has gone wrong, is your lecturers' failure to follow the procedures and their decisions to contact you unofficially.

Don't forget the '2-day' space in between staff telling me the module result - then it changing on the results via my student record.

This 1-2 day gap seems to me highly unlikely to be the time when staff are moderating results - as I was told (and have written evidence) that suggests the exam board ended 2 weeks prior to this - so all moderation should have been prior to this (3/4 weeks ago)?

And why would my tutor personally email me my overall results if the exam board hadn't finished - it seems, as you say, a severe procedural breach.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Klix88

Usually provisional marks aren't given out until after the initial exam board however, it is extremely rare to see these change by more than 1 or 2 points. If a university is giving out provisional marks before any exam board then like you said that would be extremely unprofessional as they know how much difference they can make and how rare it is for a given score on a test to be similar to the final mark.
Instead of complaining on TSR, just email the lecturers with a print screen of your uni results, asking them to explain why your mark has decreased, when they gave you a false sense of security, as it were.

Quick Reply

Latest