How does self-catering work? Watch

viola98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys! In September I'll start university and now I need to decide whether to go catered or self-catered. I was thinking of going self-catered since I'm from an Italian family and I don't mind cooking, but I was wondering... how does it work?
Do catered and self-catered people share the same flats in the halls or are they kept in different buildings?
I mean, if 10 people in a building are trying to cook at the same time I think it might be uncomfortable...
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In every uni I've known the flat as a whole will either be catered or self-catered. No point in the uni building a kitchen only half the people will use when they can just cram in more rooms.

You'll find that many students develop odd eating habits time wise, and some when they cook dinner will likely be having just a ready meal so won't be taking up much space cooking wise. Sometimes you have to do a bit of a dance around each other, but I never once found it annoying.

There is also the chance you'll be housed with a bunch of people who like to cook, in which case you can see about sharing the cooking duties and all eat together, which can be a huge plus of self-catering. That and the random home-made pizza nights and making yourself chips at 3am when getting back from a night out and tbh just having a decent sized room where everyone in the flat can go and chill together.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
whole flats (or usually whole buildings) will be one or the other

generally you won't have a kitchen between 10... I've never shared with more than 5 (although I think 6-7 is fairly normal). You'll find, as the guy above said, that people tend to eat at different times. It generally only takes 30 mins to make a meal and with 4 hobs and an oven that's potentially 3 people who could cook at a time (2 hobs or an oven each) so getting everyone fed during the period from 5-8pm is easy. When you add in that people will be eating at random times of day and getting take aways etc it really isn't an issue. Worst thing which happens is once in a while you might have to wait half an hour to cook, which is hardly going to kill you!

I'd definitely go self catered if you have a choice, I reckon it's cheaper overall as you're not paying for staff to cook etc. You get to eat stuff you like/want rather than whatever is prepared that day. You aren't restricted to their meal times which also means you don't have to waste food you paid for if you sleep in or have a lecture over the lunch hour. You also won't be paying for 2 meals every time you grab a take away or go out for dinner.
Pirko
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got lucky because I had self-catered & canteen...

I didn't use the shared kitchen after someone stole my Muller yogurts. We had to share one kitchen between 20 people lol...
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by viola98)
Hi guys! In September I'll start university and now I need to decide whether to go catered or self-catered. I was thinking of going self-catered since I'm from an Italian family and I don't mind cooking, but I was wondering... how does it work?
Do catered and self-catered people share the same flats in the halls or are they kept in different buildings?
I mean, if 10 people in a building are trying to cook at the same time I think it might be uncomfortable...
Catered halls are not the same as self catered they are not in the same building. You probably won't have 10 people cooking at the same time. My flat only had 5 people and I hardly ever saw more than 1 or 2 people when I was cooking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by viola98)
Hi!

I would advise going self catering if you already know you like cooking, as catered is not only more expensive but it can put restrictions on what and when you can eat.

In my first year I was in a flat of 12, and we shared two ovens with hobs, and one microwave. 12 was one of the higher amounts of flatmates that I've heard of from others - usually flats are shared between about 6. However, even with 12 people, we never had a problem with clashing when we cooked. Occasionally I might have to check whether the kitchen is free then wait 20-30 minutes to cook, but even that was rare. Some people would cook ready meals just using the oven and leaving it there, whereas I would usually make pasta or rice dishes which meant I'd use the counter and the hobs. I'd also save my leftovers or cook bigger batches to freeze and microwave at a later date, saving on money, time and space.

You'll definitely be fine going self catered!

I hope this helped,

Ellie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?