The bbc are invesigated by OFcom over swearing and distressing scenes at Wimbledon

Watch
alfie thorne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Source London Evening standard July 7th 2017

BBC will be investigated over pre-watershed swearing and distressing scenes at Wimbledon . Ofcom will Launch a probe after over 190 complaints after not just the worst outburst of swearing heard at the tournament but maybe since the watershed was introduced in 1964, 32 year old US tennis star Bethanie Mattek-Sands screamed an astonishing torrent of 16 F words in less than 2 minutes in agony after dislocating her after a shocking fall at the start of the deciding set of her second-round match The outburst was picked up by microphones and broadcast live on BBCs television coverage of the match Mattek-Sands then lay in agony clutching her injury on the Wimbledon turf. Mattek-Sands could be heard howling words like : “F*** it hurts, f*** me it hurts.“Have you given me any f***ing painkillers? more swearing was picked up after they attempted to move her straight on her back, When she was finally taken away she continued swearing but it was not picked up by the microphone's, some sources say she swore 47 times before being sedated in the ambulance, Mr Beyer of Ofcom said the BBC should have just left the match switched to another match, they could have it was a distressing incident switched her before the swearing "Why they repeated it later is beyond me," he added. A BBC spokesman said the corporation had apologised for any offence caused by Mattek sand's language. Due to the intense amount It took the issue of swearing very seriously he added. A BBC spokesman apologised for any offence caused by the broadcast of the outburst, saying: "In a live broadcast there is always a dangerThe regulator said it is not acceptable to swear on TV before the watershed, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. John invderdale who was commentating said those with minors switch over or mute horrible thing to witness so many F bombs for many kids ears at the event It will be the only time someone yells more F bombs in the history of tennis combined in one incident, live on screen and will never be penalized once. One person tweeted shame on BBC Disgraceful language, there could have been children watching.Being in pain does not give you the right to use offensive language. It is not the time in the 90 years of the BBC coverage they have been in trouble over this, in 2003 they were forced to apologise after British tennis Greg Rusedski was heard swearing no fewer than half a dozen times in a umpire tirade over a crowd interruption during a match,
username2896864
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
tbh you could have just put the link to the actual article :fisheye:
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meh...
Lord Samosa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Who are these people that bother complaining over a few "naughty" words? :lol:
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The BBC shows more offensive things than a person in agony after a nasty injury, even though I think they could have stopped showing it out of consideration for the injured player.

Mrs Brown's Boys for example has a lot of foul language, so I understand.
Siberiaan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hope this is satirical
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What? All because of a stupid word? I think people should stop being scared of a word like the F-word. If a child asks what it means, all the parent would need to say is "It's something that a few people say when they're angry, but you shouldn't say it because a lot of people don't like it." If the F-word was used sexually it'd be a different story, but clearly that isn't the case.
Guy_Specs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For a second i thought they were investigating because of the tedious boredom and wasting perfectly good strawberries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads