The Student Room Group

Which subject is better

im thinking of doing law at uni and I was wondering which subject coulf help me at at a level for a law degree : r.e or economics?
Good thing about Law is they like people from all different academic backgrounds!
Essay subjects are always appreciated, so English, History, R.E/Philosophy.... But apart from that you can pretty much take what you want as long as they are considered 'good' subjects. So best to pick what you're good at and/or what you enjoy! Sciences are also good, shows an 'analytical' and 'logical' mind which they quite like, so if your okay at maths it might be a subject to consider.

So English, History, RE, Maths, Bio/chem/physics,psychology, philosophy, politics, Economics, Business, geography, languages (I'm sure i've missed some...)

Bad things to do would be for example:
o) Both Buisness studies and Economics
o) More than two 'soft/arty' subjects like Art, Textiles, Music, Drama, Media, journalism, etc
o) Avoid Law A level. even if you want to do law it doesn't go down too well, lecturers say they have to correct everything that's been taught at A-level and some consider it a soft option.
o) Of course avoid critical studies/general studies unless it's an 'extra'
Most of the above is correct, except the point about Law A-level; most universities are fairly ambivalent towards it, but count it behind e.g. History/Economics/Geography/English Lit usually being the most preferred. However both are acceptable; it would be best to pick the one you have the most interest in as you'll likely do the best in that subject.

That said, I'd be inclined to recommend Economics as more analytical rather than interpretive nature of the subject fits into the Law mould better. But if you're looking at the syllabus and thinking you'd rather die than study that, pick the other option :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest