Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

resiting a-levels whilst at uni watch

ReputationRep:
    Heya

Basically i got into my insurance offer but missed my firm by mucking up maths, and i know some employers look at a-level grades as well as degree results so i am getting a bit worried.
    Would it be possible to resit some of the maths modules at some point to improve my grade even though i will already be at university?

cheers

ba

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i want to re-sit some modules also

ReputationRep:
    speak to the examinations officer of where you took your Alevels.
    I am retaking an english module that i messed up in june. I will be resitting it in jan. I am sure my uni will let me off for one day!
    I got into my firm but my teacher thinks is worth a resit as i had 7 other hours of exams that day, and clearly wasn't performing when it got to my eng exam.

Hope this helps
    basically if it makes u feel better, go for it

Ally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxersarecool)
    speak to the examinations officer of where you took your Alevels.
    I am retaking an english module that i messed up in june. I will be resitting it in jan. I am sure my uni will let me off for one day!
    I got into my firm but my teacher thinks is worth a resit as i had 7 other hours of exams that day, and clearly wasn't performing when it got to my eng exam.

Hope this helps
    basically if it makes u feel better, go for it

Ally

Getting time off uni will be easy - just don't go in! I hope the resit doesn't clash with Jan Uni exams though.....

ReputationRep:
    how can i find out when the jan exams are?
    Would the dates already have been decided?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxersarecool)
    how can i find out when the jan exams are?
    Would the dates already have been decided?

Cheers

The dates will already be set in stone. Ask your Uni when they are would be the easiest option.

You miss a uni exam (without a drs note) and you could get booted off your course! Is it really worth it? Outside of the Magic Circle companies, no employer is going to care about your A-Levels realistically!

ReputationRep:
    Why not work hard and get a 2:1 and 1:1? By the time you finish your course, they may have made changes to the education system and employers may get confused about the value of A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    If theres no clash with uni exams then I dont see why you shouldnt do it. I was going to because i thought i messed up maths but in the end got an A so was majorly relieved. It might be worth checking if ur first year contributes to your degree clasification, mine doesnt and you only need to pass so even if it did distract you a little, it might not matter in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    After a few months at uni, you start to forget your A-levels. People stop asking you what your grades were and you don't take as much pride or interest in them. You will be more concerned about essay marks and trying to get a 2:1 as your end of year result. I would strongly advise against re-taking A-levels whilst at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Waste of time.
    I was thinking about retaking an mathes module in november i got a d overall but im not that far away in terms of marks to a c. I dont think it would require much work maybe an hour a week and a bit more closer to the time.I messed up the exam and i really would like to have a c in maths. Is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Waste of time.
    I agree. My mum suggested it to go to a crap uni and retake A levels then move to a good one but it's a waste of time and money and you're better off taking another year out.

ReputationRep:
    You have to say you if you want to cash in by the 20th of September.. so make your mind up soon.

Also, does anyone know if you ask for a remark and it comes back unchanged can you still resit a module? because by then it will be to late to tell them you don't want to cash it in.

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking of re sitting at bolton college since im going to bolton uni but not sure if id be able to transfer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsingh7)
    To retake a A Level module - wouldn't you have to reject your A2 grade so its not certified.

Would this not jepordise your University place?

Very good ponit. You wouldn't have your A-Level and therefore won't have made your offer for uni in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, before I discovered this forum - two and a half years into my univerity career - I had never ever heard of anyone thinking of retaking A levels whilst at uni. As Pencil stated, after you arrive at uni you really start to lose interest in your A level grades - I've hardly even heard the word mentioned since.
    The only thing I have heard of was a mature student needing to retake GCSE Maths so he can get into teaching.
    I can understand that - especially in the situation you are in now - you get rather anxious about these things, but realistically hardly anyone is going to care about your A levels from October onwards. Yes, a few employers do ask for them, but that's really only a few and even for them degree performance will be much more important that A level performance, and if your grades aren't absolutely atrocious they won't matter very much.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know this also.
    OK.. well I phoned up AQA to find this out and they said the give you an extension if you have a remark. You have 10 days to decline the changed (or unchanged) grade after you recieve the results of the remark.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the info.

And I guess its best to contact the Uni and see how they stand on rejecting the grade and resitting the module externally (since you are not meeting their entry requirement as you will not have the grade certified).

Is this what you plan to do?

And then I will have to discuss with my college whether or not I can have the retake there.
    Hmm.. I'm still not sure whether to tell the Uni if I'm going to decline my grade. For me (I think) it will be ok since I was over the entry requirements for the course and I can use 2 AS's to count as one A-level.. but maybe it will be best to let them know that your doing it.. but not ask if you can do.. if you want I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    OK.. well I phoned up AQA to find this out and they said the give you an extension if you have a remark. You have 10 days to decline the changed (or unchanged) grade after you recieve the results of the remark.
    what happens if you get a copy of the paper sent back to see if its been marked right, then want a remark? also,isnt it quite expensive to resit alevels at uni? most alevel coureses are £100 but if you do then online up to £1000+?

oh yea, is the 20th sept deadline for when the remark results are out? or just when you must demand one by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    what happens if you get a copy of the paper sent back to see if its been marked right, then want a remark?
    I'm not sure.. surely it would be better to get the remark done instead of checking it yourself?

(Original post by magiccarpet)
    also,isnt it quite expensive to resit alevels at uni? most alevel coureses are £100 but if you do then online up to £1000+?

oh yea, is the 20th sept deadline for when the remark results are out? or just when you must demand one by?
    Yes it is quite expensive.. so don't do it unless your committed to improving your grade.. but if you are it's a pretty good investment for your money.

20th is when you have to inform then you want the remark- not sure when the results are out.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.