The Student Room Group

Should I cut my friends off?

It's not because of a dramatic betrayal but because when I sit back and analyse my life I don't see why I'm friends with any of them. We've not much in common. I tend to enjoy certain discussions and I can't really have it with them, I can't help but feel as though there's something missing. I like to get into things deep but I can't with them, at least not for more than once in a long while.

Sure we can have a laugh and whale of a time every now and then, but it's a surface level connection.

A part of me thinks I should just cut if off because it doesn't live up to my standards, not even that, I can't stand feeling like I've had this conversation before so many times in a row. The other part of me thinks that I shouldn't fully cut them off but enjoy the fun moments together and that having things in common isn't that important.

Has anyone ever felt this way? Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
It's not because of a dramatic betrayal but because when I sit back and analyse my life I don't see why I'm friends with any of them. We've not much in common. I tend to enjoy certain discussions and I can't really have it with them, I can't help but feel as though there's something missing. I like to get into things deep but I can't with them, at least not for more than once in a long while.

Sure we can have a laugh and whale of a time every now and then, but it's a surface level connection.

A part of me thinks I should just cut if off because it doesn't live up to my standards, not even that, I can't stand feeling like I've had this conversation before so many times in a row. The other part of me thinks that I shouldn't fully cut them off but enjoy the fun moments together and that having things in common isn't that important.

Has anyone ever felt this way? Any advice?

Are you mentally well? Sometimes this can be a sign that you might be ill.

I would hold out on cutting them off. It's important to have friends. Try and remember why you became friends with them and what has changed, if anything. Think of new activities you can do together. Like in a relationship, friendships can get a bit stale if you're constantly doing the same thing all the time. Do you have other friends? Only having one group of friends can also make you feel this way as you're only hanging out with the same people.

If you think there might be a chance that you might benefit from some kind of counselling then try that as well. If you still feel this about your friends then you probably just don't really like them any more. Try and branch out and find new friends.
Reply 2
In between A-levels and uni. Prime time for cutting people off.

Original post by Moura
Are you mentally well? Sometimes this can be a sign that you might be ill.

I would hold out on cutting them off. It's important to have friends. Try and remember why you became friends with them and what has changed, if anything. Think of new activities you can do together. Like in a relationship, friendships can get a bit stale if you're constantly doing the same thing all the time. Do you have other friends? Only having one group of friends can also make you feel this way as you're only hanging out with the same people.

If you think there might be a chance that you might benefit from some kind of counselling then try that as well. If you still feel this about your friends then you probably just don't really like them any more. Try and branch out and find new friends.

I've never heard that before...
(I'm "in remission". Personally I don't think it was mental illness as much as it was a reaction to life events and how my personality naturally is.)

I don't think it's what we're doing as much as how they are. I have many acquaintances, they remain so for good reason.
I do plan to branch out but the question at hand now is whether I should cut the current ones off or not.

Not for me (counselling).
I think before you do anything like that, you should ask yourself why you became friends with them in the first place. Otherwise you'd cut them off, make other friends and potentially just find yourself in exactly the same situation.

Just because you want to make new friends doesn't mean you have to cut off your old ones. Find new friends who better match your interests and personality, but keep your old ones, I would. You don't have to like exactly the same things and do the exactly the same things in order to be friends. As long as they're decent people, they respect you and you enjoy their company, then I don't see what the issue is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending