The Student Room Group

Exercise makes me hungry

I have been going to the gym and fitness classes for oer a year now, and I am enjoying it. However these days I'm noticing that exercise makes me feel tired and hungry for the rest of the day. Today after i came back from my bodypump class I have been sitting in bed watching tv shows, however I still feel low in energy.
I already ate enough food for lunch and breakfast and this makes me eat more. I have gained 5kg in fat not muscle. I can't even fit into most of my jeans anymore. My fitness has greatly improved though.
I'm not sure what to do as i would like to lose 5kg by September, but i keep binge eating. Being hungry stops me from keeping on track with my eating. Should i just give up on exersising. I exercise 4 times a week by the way.
Original post by ouatislifex
I have been going to the gym and fitness classes for oer a year now, and I am enjoying it. However these days I'm noticing that exercise makes me feel tired and hungry for the rest of the day. Today after i came back from my bodypump class I have been sitting in bed watching tv shows, however I still feel low in energy.
I already ate enough food for lunch and breakfast and this makes me eat more. I have gained 5kg in fat not muscle. I can't even fit into most of my jeans anymore. My fitness has greatly improved though.
I'm not sure what to do as i would like to lose 5kg by September, but i keep binge eating. Being hungry stops me from keeping on track with my eating. Should i just give up on exersising. I exercise 4 times a week by the way.

Join MFP and count calories.

If you eat complex carbs, lean protein and veg which give you energy as slow release then you will feel less hungry.

You can also make sure you drink enough water as sometimes hunger is actually thirst.

You need to understand what you are consuming and why you are bingeing.
Reply 2
Dieting can be really hard - Get rid of everything you could binge on if need be. I fast until dinner every day and then workout after that - You'll feel ill and low energy probably because you've burned all the sugar after a sugar rush and you've dropped your blood sugar. As Tiger suggested, try fuller meals - Lots of good vegetables, complex carbs like rice or sweet potato. To suppress your apetite naturally without expensive drinks or tablets - Try chewing gum, or drinking mint tea or coffee when you feel hungry.
Try exercising just before a meal that way although your hungry you've got a meal comeing for snacking dips like humours or tatziki and Melba toast are better then crisps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ouatislifex

You've written in this post what is borne out by a lot of research. Intense exercise can actually lead to weight gain, even though it seems counter intuitive. The reason, as you rightly observe, is that people either subconsciously or consciously eat more as a result of the exercise. Some of it is genuine hunger, and low blood sugar brought on by intense exercise. Some of it is more a psychological response to it - I can eat these biscuits now because I did all that exercise. It's easy to forget that it only takes a few chocolate biscuits to cancel out the energy burned off during the exercise, and a few more to put you in energy surplus. Clearly you're in this latter camp.

Fitness is important, of course, and I'd never want to dissuade anyone from it. But part of fitness is attaining and maintaining a stable weight. So cut back on it a bit - maybe do less intense exercise. Make sure you've eaten properly before you exercise, and have something during the exercise if you feel yourself getting significantly hungry. Eat quickly after exercise, but something appropriate like a banana and some protein, and then resist the temptation to flake out after the exercise, because that will just encourage you to snack. If you still find exercise is making you incredibly hungry (and it does for some people) then knock it on the head whilst you're dieting, or at least do a minimal amount.
The advice I have been given is to make sure meals are balanced well. One method suggested is that your protein dense portion should be about the size and thickness of your palm, a fist sized portion of carbohydrates, two fists of veg and a thumbs portion of healthy fats. It's been helping me as I always got incredibly hungry after exercise and wanted to eat everything and anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest