AlexandraW96
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DreamsCanHappen)
Many thanks buddy! - Hope you're well..

How are you finding UCL?
It's crazy - both socially and workload-wise. But I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.
bumbaclart2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The BTEC qualification is often assumed as an inadequate qualification which is very unfortunate as most of the top uni's accept this.

However, before undertaking the BTEC course, I researched into my chosen degree programme to get a taste of what will be required, due to the negative comments around taking a BTEC qualification.

I undertook research by talking to previous undergraduates at UCL on the degree, to know what is needed and what I should do in prep for the course, as well as talking to proffessors. Therefore, I started to learn a few modules prior to starting my degree in late summer and I am pleased to say - it has paid off.
I can agree with this statement, and say I too did background research, and revised beforehand looked at my course modules where I thought I would struggle in, and revised what is required in the specification. I can say it is a big step but having motivation is key and I'm sure anyone out there can work hard and achieve a top grade!
DreamsCanHappen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by AlexandraW96)
It's crazy - both socially and workload-wise. But I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

I can agree! Social life is great, lots of societies to engage with!

How did your year go, results wise?
DreamsCanHappen
Rep:
?
Great to see a BTEC student succeeding at another top RG university!

Keep the fantastic work up!

(Original post by bumbaclart2)
I can agree with this statement, and say I too did background research, and revised beforehand looked at my course modules where I thought I would struggle in, and revised what is required in the specification. I can say it is a big step but having motivation is key and I'm sure anyone out there can work hard and achieve a top grade!
midgetspinner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Management Science - BSc
Don't you need A level maths for that course?

EDIT: The course doesn't accept BTEC. Probably done the mickey mouse counterpart - info management
DreamsCanHappen
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=glebp;72699630]Don't you need A level maths for that course?

When I applied, maths was not required, CompSci was sufficent enough.
However, now - you need maths.
bumbaclart2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by glebp)
Don't you need A level maths for that course?

EDIT: The course doesn't accept BTEC. Probably done the mickey mouse counterpart - info management
My friend, whether or not he done that degree, he is showing that its possible for a BTEC to get onto a RG uni and work hard and get a first class. Any degree is difficult to do and complete the main purpose of this thread is to show and aid fellow BTEC students, it seems like you got rejected by this course and you want to take shots, sit down and watch from the stands......
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RBP_98)
TBH BTEC gets a bad rep because it is easier, don't know any of the BTEC people at my school who did put in more than 5 hours extra a week (there are over 60 of them out of 250), whereas A level standard is 20 hours plus per week, on top of lessons. In my experience, BTEC is disparaged because it IS easier
I did not put in 20 hours a week most weeks doing maths, physics, chemistry and eng lit. Not even on average even though for about a month around the exams, I probably did about 20-30 hours a week (2 or 3 exam papers a day basically).
Bukalemun123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Great choice honestly. York top Uni, top city & has great teaching quality. Good luck with the grades buddy!
Mate, the entry requirments for management sciences at UCL has maths A-level as a requirment, but you did a btec and CS A level. how exactly did you get in?
migdetgem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you think the perception of BTEC might change now that exams are introduced?
s4b3rt00th
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by migdetgem)
Do you think the perception of BTEC might change now that exams are introduced?
i doubt it.
migdetgem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RBP_98)
TBH BTEC gets a bad rep because it is easier, don't know any of the BTEC people at my school who did put in more than 5 hours extra a week (there are over 60 of them out of 250), whereas A level standard is 20 hours plus per week, on top of lessons. In my experience, BTEC is disparaged because it IS easier
I agree with this.

I've just finished my second L3 Extended BTEC diploma, and can safely say that more than half of those on the course shouldn't have passed. A levels don't allow for missed deadlines and sh*t excuses. This might depend upon the college, though. There'll be some strict BTEC colleges out there whose students are ready for uni.There'll be some great students in BTEC classes who are ready for uni, with or without strict enforcement from the college. But on the whole, as someone said to the OP, such is an anomaly.

Part of me does regret doing BTEC, and I feel awkward saying that that's what I've studied because I know how lacking much of the class were in their effort. I don't like knowing that I'm associated with them, and that might be quite arrogant. But then BTEC has also been nice, having coursework in different forms has been quite fun; there's a lot of room for artistic ideas there. Animated videos, interactive powerpoints and quizzes - it's been fun knowing I can put time and effort into that without concerning myself with revision.

I initially did a BTEC because I wasn't confident in my ability to live up to the expectations of A levels. In that sense, I don't regret it. It gave me chance to build myself back up. Maybe I could have gone straight for A levels. I had a tutor say that, before going on to say that I was producing level four and five work, despite being in the first few months of level three. (A tutor said the same, on my second course, so I'm inclined to believe them). Maybe I could have done it. I opted for an easier route, to give myself an easier time of it. It worked, I'm feeling alright about going forward, and I'm quite excited to start my degree (50% exams, 50% coursework).

I do think BTEC is easier than A levels, but I also think the enforcement of the institution plays a part in the impact of the course. A large part.

(not a question)
DreamsCanHappen
Rep:
?
Many thanks for your reply. I appreciate your views on the qualification.

With regards to your degree and university destinations, what will you study and where?

Best of luck!

(Original post by migdetgem)
I agree with this.

I've just finished my second L3 Extended BTEC diploma, and can safely say that more than half of those on the course shouldn't have passed. A levels don't allow for missed deadlines and sh*t excuses. This might depend upon the college, though. There'll be some strict BTEC colleges out there whose students are ready for uni.There'll be some great students in BTEC classes who are ready for uni, with or without strict enforcement from the college. But on the whole, as someone said to the OP, such is an anomaly.

Part of me does regret doing BTEC, and I feel awkward saying that that's what I've studied because I know how lacking much of the class were in their effort. I don't like knowing that I'm associated with them, and that might be quite arrogant. But then BTEC has also been nice, having coursework in different forms has been quite fun; there's a lot of room for artistic ideas there. Animated videos, interactive powerpoints and quizzes - it's been fun knowing I can put time and effort into that without concerning myself with revision.

I initially did a BTEC because I wasn't confident in my ability to live up to the expectations of A levels. In that sense, I don't regret it. It gave me chance to build myself back up. Maybe I could have gone straight for A levels. I had a tutor say that, before going on to say that I was producing level four and five work, despite being in the first few months of level three. (A tutor said the same, on my second course, so I'm inclined to believe them). Maybe I could have done it. I opted for an easier route, to give myself an easier time of it. It worked, I'm feeling alright about going forward, and I'm quite excited to start my degree (50% exams, 50% coursework).

I do think BTEC is easier than A levels, but I also think the enforcement of the institution plays a part in the impact of the course. A large part.

(not a question)
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think as long as you want to do business, you can't get into college to do a-level and you are SURE that the unis you're applying to do have some spaces for BTEC studnets... then it is a great way to get in.

well done OP
DreamsCanHappen
Rep:
?
Many thanks for your comments mate. I really appreciate it.

Good luck on your future endeavours!

(Original post by Moura)
I think as long as you want to do business, you can't get into college to do a-level and you are SURE that the unis you're applying to do have some spaces for BTEC studnets... then it is a great way to get in.

well done OP
Movementmoments
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone else confused about the TSR saying this guy has a first class degree?

He's just finished his first year lol
igcsecrazy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dear all,

BTEC students have always been criticised due to the fact it's not a "traditional route" to university.

I studied a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business & have finished my first year at a Russell Group university, feel free to ask me any questions.

Pursuing a Bachelor of Science.
Well done you!

I have a question about BTEC results and GCSE requirements. It's not for me but for my younger brother as he's just finished year 13, doing business and media BTEC. He was predicted a DDD I believe and firmed Surrey, insured Leeds Beckett (I know such a big gap between the two). But his GCSE maths is D (he retook it 3 times already), whilst I think Surrey required a B or at least a C in maths. He doesn't tell me or my parents anything when asked, but when do you find out about universities accepting/rejecting you? And when do you find out your actual BTEC grades? I don't know much about BTEC as I did IB when I was younger. Thanks! And best of luck at UCL.
DreamsCanHappen
Rep:
?
Thanks for your comment. First of all well done on your brother getting those offers!
Regarding his GCSE Maths, he will know his result mid August and regarding his BTEC results, they should be published mid July - early August depending on his college. Uni's will start offering or rejecting you after his GCSE result has been published, however they will get his BTEC results mid July.

(Original post by igcsecrazy)
Well done you!

I have a question about BTEC results and GCSE requirements. It's not for me but for my younger brother as he's just finished year 13, doing business and media BTEC. He was predicted a DDD I believe and firmed Surrey, insured Leeds Beckett (I know such a big gap between the two). But his GCSE maths is D (he retook it 3 times already), whilst I think Surrey required a B or at least a C in maths. He doesn't tell me or my parents anything when asked, but when do you find out about universities accepting/rejecting you? And when do you find out your actual BTEC grades? I don't know much about BTEC as I did IB when I was younger. Thanks! And best of luck at UCL.
gratedchedda
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BTECs are great I got into KCL for paediatric nursing BSc no problems x
DreamsCanHappen
Rep:
?
Congratulations on your success, another top university. Good luck for the future!

(Original post by gratedchedda)
BTECs are great I got into KCL for paediatric nursing BSc no problems x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.79%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.48%
No I am happy with my course choice (453)
58.83%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.9%

Watched Threads