need help regarding my next step Watch

username2170967
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, i'm sam and im a 21 year old male located in Essex. Some brief background info on me that as you read on, will become relevant. Last year, in December, I was diagnosed with multiple mental health disorders. I was at rock bottom and i'm delighted to say i've made a very quick turnaround and just 8 months later, feel the best i've ever been.

Anyway, this huge life event led to major changes in my life. The way I act, the company I chose, my outlook on many things etc etc. It also made me want to go into a job where I could help people who were in similar positions to me. I gained alot of empathy and saw Mental Health Nursing as my calling. Now as this was around February time, it was past the UCAS deadline, and long story short, I cant get anywhere I'd like to go doing Mental Health Nursing.

The places open in clearing are for Adult Nursing and Learning Disability Nursing, two things I am unsure of, not necessarily against doing, but unsure if I want to do. It's not like i'd be doing something I wouldn't enjoy, but it's that I'd be doing something I don't know if i'd enjoy as much as I would Mental Health Nursing.

The experience I gained recently to bolster my application was as a HCA mainly in learning disability sector of care, and it was work I thoroughly enjoyed. The thing that attracted me to Mental Health Nursing was that it was the problems i'd dealt with myself. However, I have 0 experience caring for anyone with Mental Health Problems, only Autism. I'd like some advice if I should just go for adult nursing. If i'm not greatly keen I can always do a postgrad in Mental Health Nursing and be dual qualified anyway.

I do respect, admire and think i'd enjoy all fields of nursing, however, obviously mental health stood out for me. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on if you think I should go for adult. I'm so keen on going to university this year as i'm 21 now, and i've already dropped out of university twice due to my problems. I'm so desperate now im well to go out there and experience what life is all about now the shackles of mental illness are off.

Thanks for reading, and if you can help me out, thanks even more.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aucott96)
Hi, i'm sam and im a 21 year old male located in Essex. Some brief background info on me that as you read on, will become relevant. Last year, in December, I was diagnosed with multiple mental health disorders. I was at rock bottom and i'm delighted to say i've made a very quick turnaround and just 8 months later, feel the best i've ever been.

Anyway, this huge life event led to major changes in my life. The way I act, the company I chose, my outlook on many things etc etc. It also made me want to go into a job where I could help people who were in similar positions to me. I gained alot of empathy and saw Mental Health Nursing as my calling. Now as this was around February time, it was past the UCAS deadline, and long story short, I cant get anywhere I'd like to go doing Mental Health Nursing.

The places open in clearing are for Adult Nursing and Learning Disability Nursing, two things I am unsure of, not necessarily against doing, but unsure if I want to do. It's not like i'd be doing something I wouldn't enjoy, but it's that I'd be doing something I don't know if i'd enjoy as much as I would Mental Health Nursing.

The experience I gained recently to bolster my application was as a HCA mainly in learning disability sector of care, and it was work I thoroughly enjoyed. The thing that attracted me to Mental Health Nursing was that it was the problems i'd dealt with myself. However, I have 0 experience caring for anyone with Mental Health Problems, only Autism. I'd like some advice if I should just go for adult nursing. If i'm not greatly keen I can always do a postgrad in Mental Health Nursing and be dual qualified anyway.

I do respect, admire and think i'd enjoy all fields of nursing, however, obviously mental health stood out for me. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on if you think I should go for adult. I'm so keen on going to university this year as i'm 21 now, and i've already dropped out of university twice due to my problems. I'm so desperate now im well to go out there and experience what life is all about now the shackles of mental illness are off.

Just some points.

1. If MHN is what you want then go for it. You probably wont blag Adult N and you wont enjoy it if you are always thinking about wanting to be in MHN. A year will pass quickly. Desperate is not a ood place to be when thinking of getting thousands of £s into debt, be patient.

2. Get more experience in MHN for next year plus make sure you are stable before you start. Its not long since your meltdown so make sure you are not bulnerable to a repeat.
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
go for what you want to. but make sure you have the support to deal with the stress. mhn is seriously stressful. burn out is common. be prepared. you wont be the first mhn tha thas personnel experience of mental health. it helps give an insight into your patients. good luck
BubblegumBlue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Sam,

There are plenty of places in clearing for mental health nursings you can apply for this year but it all depends whether you want to go to those places. you have to weigh up the benefits of the course with the area you're going to be living in, e.g. you really don't like the area but remember it's only for 3 years and the course could be really good at that university

Or you can get experience within mental health for the next year and then re apply in September when the 2018 entry opens and apply to universities that you actually want to go

Whatever you decide I wouldn't recommend you picking any other branch just as a sake of going to university. If mental health nursing is what you want to do, do it because as you said you already left university twice previously due to nobody's fault but there is only so many times you can get funded and you don't want to enter a degree of another branch you aren't keen on.

Good luck!!!
PaediatricStN
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aucott96)

Hi Sam,

Firstly, well done for managing to work through your mental health disorders. I do hope you continue to remain well. Thank you also for having the bravery and openness to share that with us.

My advice to you would be to get some further experience within mental health settings, if you can. I know some charities, such as Mind/YoungMind, take volunteers for their helplines and online support chatrooms and such like. I think training is provided too. See here, for example: https://youngminds.org.uk/about-us/j...-at-youngminds (Not sure how easy London is to get to for you - Essex is a large place - equally the travel may be worth the experience). Your local Mind branch may also have something you can do.

Perhaps also try and shadow a mental health nurse, possibly in a community setting, too. I'm obviously not sure how much and what mental health services you have experienced (And you are at no obligation to disclose that) however I think it's really important you ensure you have a good understanding of the role.

The reason I suggest this, is that nursing is a challenging degree, and career pathway. I wouldn't want you to rush into a degree that you are not suited to, or you end up dropping out of, as either could obviously be a trigger for further mental health problems for yourself.

I know you're keen to get going at uni, but I think there's real value in taking time to do further research and gain more experience. I wouldn't go for any other branch of nursing, just to go sooner, as you may find you have less motivation for it. I have no doubt that if you get into a mental health nursing degree, that your experiences as a service user will help motivate you, and if you were to do adult or learning disability nursing, I guess this may not be quite the same for you.

Additionally, I'll just reassure you by saying that you certainly won't be one of the oldest if you do do nursing at university. Many enter nursing in their 40s and 50s so even at say 22/23, you'll still be a positively young student nurse!!

I hope that helps you, and your decision. Good luck!
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PaediatricStN)
Hi Sam,

Firstly, well done for managing to work through your mental health disorders. I do hope you continue to remain well. Thank you also for having the bravery and openness to share that with us.

My advice to you would be to get some further experience within mental health settings, if you can. I know some charities, such as Mind/YoungMind, take volunteers for their helplines and online support chatrooms and such like. I think training is provided too. See here, for example: https://youngminds.org.uk/about-us/j...-at-youngminds (Not sure how easy London is to get to for you - Essex is a large place - equally the travel may be worth the experience). Your local Mind branch may also have something you can do.

Perhaps also try and shadow a mental health nurse, possibly in a community setting, too. I'm obviously not sure how much and what mental health services you have experienced (And you are at no obligation to disclose that) however I think it's really important you ensure you have a good understanding of the role.

The reason I suggest this, is that nursing is a challenging degree, and career pathway. I wouldn't want you to rush into a degree that you are not suited to, or you end up dropping out of, as either could obviously be a trigger for further mental health problems for yourself.

I know you're keen to get going at uni, but I think there's real value in taking time to do further research and gain more experience. I wouldn't go for any other branch of nursing, just to go sooner, as you may find you have less motivation for it. I have no doubt that if you get into a mental health nursing degree, that your experiences as a service user will help motivate you, and if you were to do adult or learning disability nursing, I guess this may not be quite the same for you.

Additionally, I'll just reassure you by saying that you certainly won't be one of the oldest if you do do nursing at university. Many enter nursing in their 40s and 50s so even at say 22/23, you'll still be a positively young student nurse!!

I hope that helps you, and your decision. Good luck!

This is totally irrelevant but do you know anything about foundation degrees in nursing?
are they solely based on theory, no placement?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed