Psychology and Criminology Joint honours 2017 Sep start

Watch
katana.xo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm starting uni in September and was wondering what books to read before I start. I only want to read something basic to ease me into the degree as I feel I haven't been in education for a while!!(a few years)
I did psychology at a levels quite a few years ago now, and want to refresh my mind.... and also want advise on criminology books to read ))

Also it would be nice to see if anyone else is starting in September))

Thanks guys.
X
Alan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by katana.xo)
I'm starting uni in September and was wondering what books to read before I start. I only want to read something basic to ease me into the degree as I feel I haven't been in education for a while!!(a few years)
I did psychology at a levels quite a few years ago now, and want to refresh my mind.... and also want advise on criminology books to read ))

Also it would be nice to see if anyone else is starting in September))

Thanks guys.
X
Hi,

I did Criminology at Undergraduate and I am about to commence my MSc in Criminal Justice and Criminology.

In terms of recommended reading it will depend on the modules you are studying. I would however recommend Tim Newburns Criminology. It is a beast of a book but it has a variety of chapters and assumes no prior knowledge of the discipline. It's Third Edition was published earlier this year. You might also want to start thinking about Criminological Theory, as most Criminology degrees will cover this. Tim Newburn has chapters dedicated in his book, but you may also want to consider An Introduction to Criminological Theory by Roger Hopkins Burke. There is also The SAGE Dictionary of Criminology which you may find to be of use. You could also email the Programme Leader and explain your circumstances and they may be able to recommend something from the Reading Lists. I did this for my MSc and he sent me the recommended reading for each module.

If you come across these books and feel a little overwhelmed, you can always search Criminology on Waterstones online and find some introductory textbooks and purchase them through a cheaper retailer such as Wordery.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the Psychology books.

Good luck for September!

Alan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.84%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.37%

Watched Threads