Politics and International Relations Applicants 2018

Watch this thread
Snufkin
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :awesome:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Politics/IR?:

nottshistpol1821
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm Catherine!
I'm applying for History and Politics joint honours... hopefully that counts!
University choices: Nottingham (AAA), Warwick (AAA), Sheffield (AAB) are the 3 definite ones( the maybes are Edinburgh (AAA), York (AAA), Glasgow (AAB) and QMUL (ABB) Edit: I'm going for Notts, Warwick, Sheffield, Edinburgh and Glasgow
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Govt&Pol, English Lit
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA (the A* is in History)
AS grades: not got them yet! Edit: I only took 1 this year bc new A-Levels, I got an A (188/200 UMS) in Politics
GCSE grades: A*A*AAAAAAAAB
Why Politics/IR?: It's just so fascinating! I love voter behaviour and elections especially.

Update: I'm going to Nottingham! Got an unconditional and am going to take it
S.olk
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm Sarah

I'm applying for Politics and International Relations
University Choices: Sussex, Nottingham, Loughborough (my definite 3), Warwick and LSE
What subject(s) are currently studying: English Lit, Sociology, Gov&Politics, Media Studies
Predicted A2 grades: AAA*A*
AS grades: Dunno yet
GCSE grades: 1 A*, 5As, 3B's
Why Politics/IR: I want to find out how we managed to elect the biggest ***** around the country and put them together in one room to run the country. I also really enjoy the politics of terror, colonialism (I am from an ex-colony) and things like religion, race and the politicisation of those.
Laurenmartin48
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm Lauren

I'm applying for politics and international relations
University Choices: York (AAB) Sheffield (AAB) Leeds (AAA) Exeter (AAB) Nottingham (AAB)
Currently studying: Gov&Pol, English Lit, Sociology (& just dropped AS maths)
Predicted grades: A*A*A
As Grades: A in gov&pol and sociology, B in lit and maths
GCSE grades: 7 A*s, 5 As
Why politics/ir: Want to understand more about British politics and how people can even like the tories (lol) and also to understand the politics of terror with a focus on the Middle East

(Sorry headings aren't in bold my phone won't let me)
Anifowosegb
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
University Choice: Politics and International relations/ Economics
Currently Studying: Government and Politics, Economics and Religious Studies
Predicted Grades :A*AA-AAA
AS Grades: ABB
GCSE: 8As and 2Bs
Why Politics and IR: I want to understand the contrast in political structures in developing countries and developed countries and how to fix it. I also wanna learn about the interaction of States internationally and how they affect each other's business.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=Anifowosegb;73319028]
(Original post by Snufkin)

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :awesome:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Politics/IR?:

ImageUniversity Choice: Politics and International relations/ Economics
Currently Studying: Government and Politics, Economics and Religious Studies
Predicted Grades :A*AA-AAA
AS Grades: ABB
GCSE: 8As and 2Bs
Why Politics and IR: I want to understand the contrast in political structures in developing countries and developed countries and how to fix it. I also wanna learn about the interaction of States internationally and how they affect each other's business.

what unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anifowosegb
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=wolfmoon88;73319038]
(Original post by Anifowosegb)

what unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking Warwick (AAA), Durham (AAA), Loughborough(ABB), Birmingham (ABB) and hopefully LSE (AAA)
eviebrizzle
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm Evie
What i want to study: HSPS (Cambridge) IR ( Durham AAA) York (AAB) Sussex (AAB) IR and RS (Lancaster AAB-ABB)
Currently studying: Government and Politics, Religious Studies and Geography
Predicted: A*AA
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAA so probs not good enough for Cambridge
Why politics and IR: I'm fascnated by how countries can use their own strengths to hasten, or hold up, a country's stability and development and the motives for this. Colonialism, thrid world countries and human rights/humanitarian aspects particularly interest me, as well as the relationship between religion and politics
McSwiz
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey I'm Henry,
My first choice uni is Sheffield and then others are Newcastle, Glasgow, LSE and Manchester
Not sure what predicted grades I have for A2 yet but for AS I got an A in Politics, A in Art, B in Geography, B in General Studies and C in Sociology (Will be dropping it)
My GCSE grades: A*AAAAAABBBB
I want to do IR/Politics because I've become really passionate and involves in politics over the last few years but have always found the political ongoings of other countries much more interesting. I would also like to help make a change in the world and work to help stop inequality and injustice. I find the difference in countries' political systems and the interactions between different countries fascinating.
Anifowosegb
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys,
Just to spice it up, I thought we might include things that we've done in relation to politics/IR.

So for me: I went to the Durham Summer School studying politics, I've also attended the LSE year 12 politics conference and a few of their 'public talks'. I also did an internship at the department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and finally, I'm a volunteer at Girlguides helping their social action projects.
McSwiz
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anifowosegb)
Hey guys,
Just to spice it up, I thought we might include things that we've done in relation to politics/IR.

So for me: I went to the Durham Summer School studying politics, I've also attended the LSE year 12 politics conference and a few of their 'public talks'. I also did an internship at the department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and finally, I'm a volunteer at Girlguides helping their social action projects.
What I've done: I'm a Labour member and my mum's friend recently became our MP as Alan Johnson stepped down so I've been able to do campaigning and work experience with her and I might be able to do some work in parliament. I'm also going to try and read a few books on politics and international relations because at the moment I only read articles and watch videos on it. I also know people from a few different places like the US and Australia and I've been on an app called Tandem to try and get better at German and speak to people from different countries.
TrelaiBoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Probably (almost definitely) a stupid question but different unis have different UCAS codes for their Politics and IR courses and its either a BA or a BSc

Does this matter when it comes to applying? Is there that much difference between BA and BSc courses that I should only apply for unis offering BA/BSc and only apply for courses with the same UCAS code or is it just a naming difference? Like I said, probably a stupid question, but I'm one of the first in my family where university is even an option so I have no idea how this works
Laurenmartin48
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TrelaiBoy)
Probably (almost definitely) a stupid question but different unis have different UCAS codes for their Politics and IR courses and its either a BA or a BSc

Does this matter when it comes to applying? Is there that much difference between BA and BSc courses that I should only apply for unis offering BA/BSc and only apply for courses with the same UCAS code or is it just a naming difference? Like I said, probably a stupid question, but I'm one of the first in my family where university is even an option so I have no idea how this works
The course code doesn't make any difference, it's simply just the code that ucas uses so as long the degree title is what you want then it's fine. The difference between BA and Bsc is important though, a Bsc will likely have data modules which will involve a lot of statistics, so if you are good at maths and science then that may be the right degree type. It just depends on what you prefer. (It's not a stupid question at all)
TrelaiBoy
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Laurenmartin48)
The course code doesn't make any difference, it's simply just the code that ucas uses so as long the degree title is what you want then it's fine. The difference between BA and Bsc is important though, a Bsc will likely have data modules which will involve a lot of statistics, so if you are good at maths and science then that may be the right degree type. It just depends on what you prefer. (It's not a stupid question at all)
Thanks a lot

So as long as its the same title the code doesn't matter?
Laurenmartin48
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TrelaiBoy)
Thanks a lot

So as long as its the same title the code doesn't matter?
I don't think so. To be sure it's the degree you want you just need to look at the modules. There are slight variations with the courses which is why the codes aren't the same. For example a course at two different unis with the code L200 will be the same and have the same content (and possibly the same assessments). Though this is the case, there will not be major variations in the courses if they have the same title, so just appply wherever you would like to go the most and focus more on the modules than the course code.
TrelaiBoy
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Laurenmartin48)
I don't think so. To be sure it's the degree you want you just need to look at the modules. There are slight variations with the courses which is why the codes aren't the same. For example a course at two different unis with the code L200 will be the same and have the same content (and possibly the same assessments). Though this is the case, there will not be major variations in the courses if they have the same title, so just appply wherever you would like to go the most and focus more on the modules than the course code.
Thanks a lot, you've been really helpful
username3046368
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, All!
I have achieved A*A*A*A* and will be applying to:

1. Cambridge - Hist/Pol
2. LSE -Gov/Hist
3. UCL - Hist/Pol & Econ
4. Bath - Pol w/ Econ (placement)
5. Not sure
Anifowosegb
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PoliticsandP)
Hi, All!
I have achieved A*A*A*A* and will be applying to:

1. Cambridge - Hist/Pol
2. LSE -Gov/Hist
3. UCL - Hist/Pol & Econ
4. Bath - Pol w/ Econ (placement)
5. Not sure
That’s amazing! What a levels did you Study? And did you take a gap year? If so what did you do?
bethanyclaire99
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
University choices: York, Sussex, Warwick (3 for certain) and then between Exeter, Southampton, Loughborough and UEA
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Geography, Economics and Government and Politics
Predicted A2 grades: AAA
AS grades: ABB ((politics was my only actual AS which i got a B in ))
GCSE grades: 2 A*s 8A's 1B
Why Politics/IR?: I'm very interested in foreign diplomacy and the governance of LEDC countries particularly those in the middle east which are war torn.
RachyyLeah
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
History and politics!

University choices: Kent (ABB) Leicester (ABB) Plymouth (BBC) maybe- Exeter (AAB) Sussex (AAB) Aberystwyth (BBB)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: history, politics, RS
Predicted A2 grades: ABB
AS grades: BBC
GCSE grades: A*AAAAABBBBCCD
Why Politics/IR?: I find it interesting to find how the mechanics of political systems work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads