GCSE grades:
Why English?:

Vanessasworld
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
University choices: Cambridge, Exeter, Surrey, York and Keele
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Lit, Maths, Economics and Media (which i am dropping)
Predicted A2 grades: A*AB
AS grades: Don't know yet
GCSE grades: 6A* 4As 2Bs 1C
Why English?: I just have a great love of reading, and also because I want to pursue a career in the film industry for screenwriting and such

also doing an EPQ and work experience at a fiction packager
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone applying to Bristol ?
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under.../2018/english/
phoebecarys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
University Choices: Warwick, Cambridge or Exeter as it stands. I've not really looked much into Oxford though..
What subject(s) are you currently studying?: English Literature, English Language and Religious Studies
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA
AS grades: AAB (and a C in the EPQ 🙈)
GCSE grades: 3A*, 2A, 5B
Why English?: I have adored narrative and the English Language for a very long time, and I believe that English has not only shaped who I am and how I perceive things but it also shapes society and our understanding of everything. My childhood dream was to become an author, now it's a little more realistic (perhaps linguistics, screenwriting, or becoming a lecturer). English never fails to fascinate and inspire me.

I'd love to talk to people who love English as much as I do! All my friends hate it 😂😂😂
Vanessasworld
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yay, other people for English at Cambridge - do you know what college you're applying to?
Gymnast7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
University choices: Cambridge, St Andrews, Exeter, Bristol, QUB
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Lit, History, Maths
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A
AS grades:
A - Maths, A - Further Maths, A* - EPQ
GCSE grades:
10A*s, 1A ( A in FSMQ)
Why English?: I love books! I've always found a solace in literature, and studying language and techniques in depth at A-level has given me a passion that I can't bring myself to give up quite yet in favour of a more practical degree! I think spending 3 (or 4 for St Andrews) years of my life reading books and being able to call it work will be great.
Gymnast7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vanessasworld)
Yay, other people for English at Cambridge - do you know what college you're applying to?
I'm fairly certain I'm going to apply to Trinity Hall. It seemed really friendly on the open day. What about you?
Vanessasworld
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Jesus college, i just really loved the look of it.
Vanessasworld
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For those choosing Exeter, what campus will you apply to and why?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The main one. The Cornwall one is tiny and mostly aimed at locals/mature applicants.
phoebecarys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phoebecarys)
University Choices: Warwick, Cambridge or Exeter as it stands. I've not really looked much into Oxford though..
What subject(s) are you currently studying?: English Literature, English Language and Religious Studies
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA
AS grades: AAB (and a C in the EPQ 🙈)
GCSE grades: 3A*, 2A, 5B
Why English?: I have adored narrative and the English Language for a very long time, and I believe that English has not only shaped who I am and how I perceive things but it also shapes society and our understanding of everything. My childhood dream was to become an author, now it's a little more realistic (perhaps linguistics, screenwriting, or becoming a lecturer). English never fails to fascinate and inspire me.

I'd love to talk to people who love English as much as I do! All my friends hate it 😂😂😂
Or maybe Oxford now... (I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing 😅😭) I just wish it was simple/easy lol 🙈
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Vanessasworld
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Or maybe Oxford now... (I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing 😅😭) I just wish it was simple/easy lol 🙈
I know right, I keep on changing my options at every university I look at
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Remember that if you are not also applying to Oxford or Cambridge you do not need to in a mad hurry in October.

You have until the January deadline to put in your application - whatever deadline your school might set, the UCAS one is actually the one that matters - and its worth waiting until you are certain about what/where/why you want to apply for/to.

There is NO disadvantage with applying in December or early January, and there is NO advantage in 'applying early'. Universities do not 'run out of offers' and if you apply before the Jan deadline you really do have exactly the same chance of an offer as anyone applying earlier.
phoebecarys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vanessasworld)
I know right, I keep on changing my options at every university I look at
Yep same! I have a very vague general idea lol but nothing really feels perfect to me 😔 and it's making me extra stressed cause there's not long to decide if we do want to apply to Oxbridge! 😭😭 I'm just going to do loads of research and notes on it, but now it's Year 13 I already have no time and we've not even gone back yet!
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you arent entirely sure on your non-Oxbridge choices, then you can always add these later.

So long as you add them before the Jan deadline, you will still be considered by those Unis in exactly the same way as all other applicants - no disadvantages.
Vanessasworld
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep same! I have a very vague general idea lol but nothing really feels perfect to me 😔 and it's making me extra stressed cause there's not long to decide if we do want to apply to Oxbridge! 😭😭 I'm just going to do loads of research and notes on it, but now it's Year 13 I already have no time and we've not even gone back yet!
Exactly! If I don't get the predicted grades A*AA then there's no point in applying to Cambridge
abbey29
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is anyone applying to an English course at uni with a Btec course and an Alevel? I currently take English, German and Btec music but I would like to drop German and pick up the EPQ. What are the chances of me getting accepted to a uni like Lancaster if I only have 1 Alevel to go with my two btec qualifications?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the BTEC is worth 2 A levels (check...), then this wont be an issue for most Unis. Email each one you are interested in and ask to make sure. A level / BTEC combos are now fairly common.
suzannaaoliver
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
University choices: UCL, KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh and Surrey
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Lit, Psychology and Sociology (and an EPQ)
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A
AS grades: AAAC
GCSE grades: 4 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs and 1 C
Why English?: I can't imagine myself not doing English at uni, I just love it a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads