Recommended reading? Watch

VictiniCup
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just finished my AS exams and now on a long summer break. Does anyone have any vet books they would recommend for prior reading, I.e for personal statement. I've seen a few but aren't sure which ones are worth it, since some of these books are expensieve.
Little Tail Chaser
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congrats on finishing your AS exams, I hope they went well for you

There is a list of suggested vet-related books in the Resources Thread stickied at the top of the forum. For your convenience I'll repost it here:

• Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues by Martin J. Blaser (2014)
  • Farmageddon: The True Cost of Cheap Meat by Philip Lymbery (2014)
  • Zoobiquity by Barbara Natterson-Horowitz and Kathryn Bowers (2012)
  • Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen (2012)
  • Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals by Temple Grandin (2010)
  • Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz (2009)
  • The Secret Life of Cells: How We Live and Why We Die by Lewis Wolpert (2009)
  • Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne (2009)
  • Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin (2008)
  • The Emotional Lives of Animals by Marc Bekoff (2007)
  • Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behaviour by Temple Grandin (2005)
  • Our Inner Ape: The Best and Worst of Human Nature by Frans de Waal (2005)
  • Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Sean B. Carroll (2005)
  • The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins (2004)
  • The Pathological Protein: Mad Cow, Chronic Wasting, and Other Deadly Prion Diseases by Philip Yam (2003)
  • Fatal Flaws by Jay Ingram (2003)
  • A Primate's Memoir: Love, Death and Baboons in East Africa by Robert Sapolsky (2002)
  • The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker (2002)
  • The Scalpel and the Butterfly: The Conflict between Animal Research and Animal Protection by Deborah Rudacille (2000)
  • Evolution in Health and Disease by Stephen C. Stearns (1999)
  • Deadly Feasts by Richard Rhodes (1997)
  • Why We Get Sick by Randolph M. Nesse (1994)
  • When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson (1994)
  • The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond (1991)
  • The Panda's Thumb by Stephen Jay Gould (1980)
  • The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (1976)
  • The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris (1967)

I would personally recommend Zoobiquity, Spillover and The Pathological Protein. Can you get to a library at all? Doesn't matter how expensive books are if you only borrow them :nah:

Hope that helped. Have a great summer
username613045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was recommended to read Spillover by someone on work experience, who'd just graduated from Bristol, because I did my EPQ on zoonotic diseases. It's really worth reading because it goes into lots of detail, but explains it.
VictiniCup
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
Congrats on finishing your AS exams, I hope they went well for you

There is a list of suggested vet-related books in the Resources Thread stickied at the top of the forum. For your convenience I'll repost it here:

• Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues by Martin J. Blaser (2014)
  • Farmageddon: The True Cost of Cheap Meat by Philip Lymbery (2014)
  • Zoobiquity by Barbara Natterson-Horowitz and Kathryn Bowers (2012)
  • Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen (2012)
  • Animals Make Us Human: Creating the Best Life for Animals by Temple Grandin (2010)
  • Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz (2009)
  • The Secret Life of Cells: How We Live and Why We Die by Lewis Wolpert (2009)
  • Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne (2009)
  • Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin (2008)
  • The Emotional Lives of Animals by Marc Bekoff (2007)
  • Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behaviour by Temple Grandin (2005)
  • Our Inner Ape: The Best and Worst of Human Nature by Frans de Waal (2005)
  • Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Sean B. Carroll (2005)
  • The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins (2004)
  • The Pathological Protein: Mad Cow, Chronic Wasting, and Other Deadly Prion Diseases by Philip Yam (2003)
  • Fatal Flaws by Jay Ingram (2003)
  • A Primate's Memoir: Love, Death and Baboons in East Africa by Robert Sapolsky (2002)
  • The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker (2002)
  • The Scalpel and the Butterfly: The Conflict between Animal Research and Animal Protection by Deborah Rudacille (2000)
  • Evolution in Health and Disease by Stephen C. Stearns (1999)
  • Deadly Feasts by Richard Rhodes (1997)
  • Why We Get Sick by Randolph M. Nesse (1994)
  • When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson (1994)
  • The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond (1991)
  • The Panda's Thumb by Stephen Jay Gould (1980)
  • The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (1976)
  • The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris (1967)

I would personally recommend Zoobiquity, Spillover and The Pathological Protein. Can you get to a library at all? Doesn't matter how expensive books are if you only borrow them :nah:

Hope that helped. Have a great summer
Thanks for the list didn't realize it had been stickied. Just checked my local libraries and they only have one of those books on the list, bit annoying really. Luckily, I might be able to get some cheap on amazon. Also, what's the full title of zoobiquity?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise