The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, my name is Will,
University: hopefully Durham
Subjects: History, Geography, Literature, Business, Spanish
A2 predicted: (not yet)
AS predicted: AAABC
IGCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*BC
Law: Because being a corporate lawyer or entering politics is my plan, and a law degree would be the best for that. I also love history, but I feel like Law has the best elements of history in it anyways, and it's something new.
Hey I'm Sofía, I'm from Spain 🇪🇸

Universities: Edinburgh, KCL, UCL, LSE and Oxford just in case
Subjects: economy, technology, Latin (out of the ones I can choose)
LNAT: in october, I can manage a 24 I think
Grades: 9,2/10 for 1st of Bachillerato (same as an A*AA in AS more or less I think) probably 9,4 total by June 2018
GCSEs: 8,2/10 in the equivalent level (AAB more or less, with two Cs in maths and physics)

ECs: I've read a good amount of books about law and classic and popular literature (challenged myself to read 50 this year), I read the economist, NYPost and Guardian every week. I've studied Russian independently (no teachers in my city) and plan to attend a B1 examination next June or May, also have attended English classes and have an A on the CPE, tried out German in an academy for a year. I've also been to my local court to watch some cases, I finished the Nanowrimo challenge in 2015 (didn't like the manuscript so I haven't really edited it or tried to publish it) and that's it. I'm a bit worried because I live in a rather poor area and there are no mentoring or internship opportunities for hs students, hope it doesn't affect my application :frown:

Why law?: because I want to work in an international scale and equip myself with mediation and persuasion skills for either a career as a barrister or a politician. I want to finish my studies abroad with a system more involved with torts and case by case rules like the British. Would love to help fight dictatorships and Human Rights abuses in the ICC. I'd also love being in the law department of a cutting edge tech company like SpaceX or Google :smile:
So it begins.
Anyone going to the Bristol Open Day on 9 Sept ?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/
University choices: Oxford, UCL, LSE, Leeds, not sure on 5th yet
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Economics, Biology, Maths

LNAT: not taken
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*AA hopefully, but not yet sure
AS grades: Maths - A
GCSE grades: 11 A*'s
University choices: Kent, Surrey, Reading, Leicester and NTU

What subject(s) are currently studying?: Biology Maths Sociology Business

LNAT: I don't think I will need it for the universities I'm applying for

Predicted A2 grades: A*ABC

AS grades: B in Maths, rest are 2 year courses

GCSE grades: 1A*, 3As, 5Bs, 2Cs and a D

Why Law?: I'm not sure on my career choice right now, but have always found law fascinating. How we live and shape our lives around the rules of our society set by our law, and how we view it ourselves. Right now, I'm thinking of becoming a solicitor, potentially in commercial law as I did a lecture in it and found it extremely interesting. It also combines the subjects with the financial sectors and analysing required in Maths, the cooperate commercial business world of Business Studies, the study of crime, families, education and religion as well as the way people live in Sociology, and more analyticalness in Biology. Law opens up so many doors, not just into being a solicitor or barrister in crime, so if all goes tits up being a solicitor I can still gain a decent career in other areas. I've also been to court myself, I know what it's like to testify and be cross examined and give evidence, which will be reassurance for future clients as I've been in their shoes. I'm just unsure if my grades are good enough right now.
(edited 6 years ago)
University choices:Leeds (1st choice by an absolute mile) York, Nottingham, Warwick and ManchesterWhat subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Government and Politics, Religious StudiesLNAT: Haven't done it yet Predicted A2 grades: Probably AAB/ABBAS grades:BCCGCSE grades:AAABBBCCCWhy Law?:I just really like the course, the stuff you do on it and the prospect of working in the City for a good wage.Are my AS' good enough for Leeds? I'm going to do EPQ as well if that helps.
Reply 8
Hey, what books have people read here related to law, and are intending to put on the PS?
Original post by Drewwww
Hey, what books have people read here related to law, and are intending to put on the PS?

Be careful about mentioning books in your PS.

Firstly, the admissions tutor has already read them, and understands them far better than you do. Any comments will look a bit immature, however well you you think you've phrased it. And you can't sum up a book and how you feel about what its said, in half a dozen words. So why are you menting them by name anyway - to show off? 'Aren't I clever I've read this'?

I can probably predict which you'll mention - and yes, 'Eve was framed' is probably one of them - and as an example, that sort of 'populist' book by a celebrity non-academic isnt that impressive to any serious academic lawyers. Do not waste the word space on this!

FAR better is to say something like 'Following the recent well publicised cases regarding euthanasia/care-home child abuse/domestic violence/gay marriage/whatever, I have read relevant journal articles and my feelings/thoughts/concerns are ...... ' (Or whatever). This means you dont end up with a 'book list' and you actually tie what you've read to a current issue. 'I read these books/articles because I was interested in the issues/case', not because 't'd look 'clever' in my PS for Uni'.

If you want some real work experience and something obvious to talk about, go and sit in the public gallery of your local County or Magistrates Court for a couple of days. 1) You'll realise Law isnt all 'clever stuff and wigs', its more about the muddle of very ordinary people's lives, and 2) You may find something very simple and straightforward to talk about in your PS that will mean a great deal more than 'I have read this book'.
(edited 6 years ago)
University choices: Exeter, Liverpool, Kent, Royal Holloway and Worcester Subjects I'm currently studying: Law, Drama and English Literature AS Grades: CCC Predicted A2 Grades: BBB, hoping to work hard and get slightly higher in one of my subjects though! GCSE Grades: 2 A's, 7 B's and 1 CWhy Law? Everyone always seems to give an answer that has something in it along the lines of 'I'm interested in it because of the way it governs our society', and although this is true, I'm more interested in studying law because it is the first subject I've studied in my school career that has truly grabbed my attention and broadened how I view issues. I also love the fact that a law degree, regardless of where you go to obtain it, gives you a wide range of career paths that you could pursue if you didn't want to only go down the path of a legal career.
Reply 11
Original post by returnmigrant
Be careful about mentioning books in your PS.

Firstly, the admissions tutor has already read them, and understands them far better than you do. Any comments will look a bit immature, however well you you think you've phrased it. And you can't sum up a book and how you feel about what its said, in half a dozen words. So why are you menting them by name anyway - to show off? 'Aren't I clever I've read this'?

I can probably predict which you'll mention - and yes, 'Eve was framed' is probably one of them - and as an example, that sort of 'populist' book by a celebrity non-academic isnt that impressive to any serious academic lawyers. Do not waste the word space on this!

FAR better is to say something like 'Following the recent well publicised cases regarding euthanasia/care-home child abuse/domestic violence/gay marriage/whatever, I have read relevant journal articles and my feelings/thoughts/concerns are ...... ' (Or whatever). This means you dont end up with a 'book list' and you actually tie what you've read to a current issue. 'I read these books/articles because I was interested in the issues/case', not because 't'd look 'clever' in my PS for Uni'.

If you want some real work experience and something obvious to talk about, go and sit in the public gallery of your local County or Magistrates Court for a couple of days. 1) You'll realise Law isnt all 'clever stuff and wigs', its more about the muddle of very ordinary people's lives, and 2) You may find something very simple and straightforward to talk about in your PS that will mean a great deal more than 'I have read this book'.

Law is a very heavy reading subject. Reading an academic book surely cannot be a bad thing at all in regard to putting it on the personal statement?
Reply 12
Hi I'm Lisa.

University choices: Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick and Leicester
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Economics, Government and Politics
LNAT: 19th October
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA
AS grades: A in Maths, A in Biology (dropped it), B in Government and Politics, A in Economics internal exam
GCSE grades: 2A*s 7As 3Bs
Why Law?: I just find it very interesting. I took part in a mock trial in my local magistrates court in year 9 and knew that I wanted to study law and become a lawyer. I took GCSE Law and loved it. Work experience was amazing and really consolidated my decision.

UPDATE
LNAT Score: 25
Offers: UCL, Warwick, Leicester 🎉🎉
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Drewwww
Law is a very heavy reading subject. Reading an academic book surely cannot be a bad thing at all in regard to putting it on the personal statement?

its not reading the book(s) that is the issue - its long 'book lists' that won't impress.
Its a personal statement about why you want to read Law - not a book review.
hi yall :tongue:

University choices: UCL, King's, QMUL, Warwick
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English, Maths, French, History (dropped)
LNAT: 16th Oct :biggrin:
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A
AS grades: ABBC :redface: (waiting on remarks, was very close to AABB, but not too worried as UCL and QMUL don't look at AS and my predicted are good)
GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAC
Why Law?: I'd like a fast-paced office job in the city in terms of career plans, I've read a couple of law books plus following some cases and it seems like a v interesting subject, plus law has an insane amount of reading and i absolute adore reading

good luck to everyone :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Drewwww

If you are going to mention a book, then it has to make sense. If there is genuinely a book that sparked or confirmed your motivation to study Law, and it is a book in the realm of academia, then you can mention it as a motivating factor. However, develop the point - consider what questions it posed for you, what answers are you seeking?

And above all, ensure that it flows in terms of structure of your personal statement. What is this book supposed to provide evidence for? Is it representing a value or an idea that is dear to you? Are you developing this value or idea in your personal statement?

In summary, books are fine if it is truly context-specific to your PS, reflects genuinely on your motivation for law, and delivers on a point within a structure of your PS.
hii, I'm from India

University choices: Oxford, UCL, LSE, Glasgow, King's
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Information Technology, English
LNAT: Yet to take them, I've been getting about 28 in practice tests
Predicted A2 grades: most probably A*AAAa
AS grades: quite bad for what they're looking for, ABBB
GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*AA, and country topper in a subject

Can anyone tell me where I stand, and what my chances look like?
(edited 6 years ago)
University choices: Leeds, Birmingham, Kent, Aston; Notts Trent
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, Sociology; Media Studies
LNAT: Not taking
Predicted A2 grades: AAB
AS grades: BBC
GCSE grades: AABBCCCCDD
Why Law?: It was either really Law or like some form of social science degree and I weighed all the pros and cons. Law is a better fit for me and I have actually been interested in the subject from year 9/10.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Hey guys I am a mature applicant(21yrs) from India and want to apply for my second undergraduate degree in law in 2018. So my grade 12 result ( I think that's equivalent to a levels in the UK) was fairly good - I scored 95% in 4 subjects ( maths , english , economics and accounts ) and 97% in business studies. I completed my first undergraduate degree in commerce this year and achieved first class honours (71%) I am currently a first year student in Campus law centre , which is among the top law schools in India after securing an All India Rank of 493 out of almost 20,000 applicants but I am looking to make a change. Do you think my application is competitive enough for oxbridge ?
Reply 19
Anyone here applying from the U.S.?

Latest