Any fans of Nordic artists? (mostly metal, rock, and pop) Watch

mfpx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, are there any fans of Nordic music artists? Any genre is fine, but I'm particularly looking for metal, rock and pop.

I like artists like Månegarm (Rock/Metal), Amaranthe (Metal), Haloo Helsinki! (Pop-Rock?), Skálmöld (Viking/Folk Metal), Noice (Pop), Arja Saijonmaa (Pop) and MANY others.

For example, my favorite song by Haloo Helsinki! is "Kiitos ei ole kirosana", by
Månegarm it's "Hemfärd", by Amaranthe it's "The Nexus", by
Skálmöld it's "Múspell" and "Að Vetri", by Noice it's "Du lever bara en gång", and by Arja Saijonmaa it's "Högt Över Havet" (I like this version of the song better. It's from a concert at Liseberg in 2009, and I was there =])

If you like any of those, or just any Nordic/Scandinavian artists in general, feel free to comment your favorites =]
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I absolutely love Kygo and Avicii (Norsk + Svensk respectively) but that doesn't really seem to be what you're into.
mfpx
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbreef)
I absolutely love Kygo and Avicii (Norsk + Svensk respectively) but that doesn't really seem to be what you're into.
I like Avicii, just didn't actually think he was Swedish. Apparently his father is Tommy Körberg, a popular Swedish singer, especially in the 80s.
Kygo is cool, just not my style. I mean he makes "alright" music, but not something I'd listen to daily.
cbreef
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mfpx)
I like Avicii, just didn't actually think he was Swedish. Apparently his father is Tommy Körberg, a popular Swedish singer, especially in the 80s.
His real name is Tim Bergling, so I doubt it.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ólafur Arnalds? Sigur Ros? Both most definitely not metal.

Bjork?
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes! I listen to a lot of melodic death and folk metal by Nordic bands, including Manegarm, Ensiferum, Children of Bodom, Wolfheart, Suotana, Satariel, Amon Amarth, Finntroll... I think I'd better stop now :lol:
Jimmitybob
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I love Wardruna- I'm not too sure how to describe their music, kinda how you would imagine traditional Nordic music maybe?

I'm also a big fan of FM Belfast- they're an Icelandic band I discovered when flying to Iceland, their songs were being played over the music system on the plane. I guess they're sorta electro-pop, I find their music really energising.

Finally, Fever Ray- you'll likely recognise 'If I Had a Heart' from the introduction to the show Vikings; however, her other songs are really great too!
mfpx
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbreef)
His real name is Tim Bergling, so I doubt it.
Yeah, though according to "Sveriges befolkning 1990" (Sweden's People's Register of 1990), his birth name is "Tim Lidén", so he changed it for some reason.
mfpx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quantex)
Ólafur Arnalds? Sigur Ros? Both most definitely not metal.

Bjork?
Oh yeah, Sigur Rós are amazing. Skálmöld did a cover on one of their songs, don't remember which one.

(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Yes! I listen to a lot of melodic death and folk metal by Nordic bands, including Manegarm, Ensiferum, Children of Bodom, Wolfheart, Suotana, Satariel, Amon Amarth, Finntroll... I think I'd better stop now :lol:
I know all of them. You should check out Skálmöld, might even consider going to Iceland Airwaves festival, it's amazing! :cool:
Pirko
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Used to listen to a lot of In Flames back in the day
mfpx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pirko)
Used to listen to a lot of In Flames back in the day
I don't particularly listen to them, but I've seen them at a music festival once, then I listened to them for like a week, and stopped
But they're cool; I think they're from Göteborg, right?
day 481516
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I like:
AURORA
Ayoe Angelica
Lene Marlin
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
Sigvart Dagsland
Sigrid
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jimmitybob)
I love Wardruna- I'm not too sure how to describe their music, kinda how you would imagine traditional Nordic music maybe?

I'm also a big fan of FM Belfast- they're an Icelandic band I discovered when flying to Iceland, their songs were being played over the music system on the plane. I guess they're sorta electro-pop, I find their music really energising.

Finally, Fever Ray- you'll likely recognise 'If I Had a Heart' from the introduction to the show Vikings; however, her other songs are really great too!
Wardruna are great, yeah. Hopefully will be seeing them in a few weeks but I don't yet know if I'm going to the festival yet.

Just looking through my iTunes collection I have a bit of Nordic stuff:
Amon Amarth (SWE)
Apocalyptica (FIN)
Burzum (NOR)
Ensiferum (FIN)
Finntroll (FIN)
Ghost (SWE)
Hay & Stone (FIN)
HIM (FIN)
In Flames (SWE)
Kaizers Orchestra (NOR)
Korpiklaani (FIN)
Lordi (FIN)
Naglfar (SWE)
Opeth (SWE)
The Rasmus (FIN)
Sigur Ros (ICE)
Solstafir (ICE)
Tyr (DEN)

Most of the music I listen to is from Britain though.
Eternalflames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You probably already know Burzum, Mayhem, Windir, Taake
Solbrud is one I found quite recently.

Then Zara Larsson in pop :lol:
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Eternalflames)

I keep meaning to listen to Windir but so often forget.
While getting a lift from a mate he was playing one of their albums in his car and I must have asked him three times what the band was as it sounded really good. Although because of the pronunciation of the band name (and his accent) I didn't realise that he was talking about Windir until the third time!
Eternalflames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Manitude)
I keep meaning to listen to Windir but so often forget.
While getting a lift from a mate he was playing one of their albums in his car and I must have asked him three times what the band was as it sounded really good. Although because of the pronunciation of the band name (and his accent) I didn't realise that he was talking about Windir until the third time!
They're really good!

This is one of my favourites:
mfpx
Rep:
?
Yeah, I know most of these.

Zara Larsson, yes, I've seen her at Bråvalla once. Based on your given bands, you might like "Haloo Helsinki!", they're a pop-rock and punk band from... HELSINKI! (who would've guessed!). Listen to Jos Mun Pokka Pettää or
Vapaus käteen jää by Haloo Helsinki!. I'd consider them "beginner's" songs :lol:.
They sing in Finnish, so you likely won't understand a single word, unless you speak Estonian, Finnish or one of the Sami languages (Despite the fact that I speak Northern Sami, I just like their music).

Wardruna are great, yeah. Hopefully will be seeing them in a few weeks but I don't yet know if I'm going to the festival yet.

Just looking through my iTunes collection I have a bit of Nordic stuff:
Amon Amarth (SWE)
Apocalyptica (FIN)
Burzum (NOR)
Ensiferum (FIN)
Finntroll (FIN)
Ghost (SWE)
Hay & Stone (FIN)
HIM (FIN)
In Flames (SWE)
Kaizers Orchestra (NOR)
Korpiklaani (FIN)
Lordi (FIN)
Naglfar (SWE)
Opeth (SWE)
The Rasmus (FIN)
Sigur Ros (ICE)
Solstafir (ICE)
Tyr (DEN)

Most of the music I listen to is from Britain though.
Nationalism much? xD
Also, abbreviation for Iceland is "ISL", as per "Island", Iceland in Icelandic.
But yeah, most of these are amazing, and I'm a long-time fan of these. Lordi represented Finland in Eurovision a couple of years ago I believe.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mfpx)

Nationalism much? xD
Also, abbreviation for Iceland is "ISL", as per "Island", Iceland in Icelandic.
But yeah, most of these are amazing, and I'm a long-time fan of these. Lordi represented Finland in Eurovision a couple of years ago I believe.
Eh, of those it's really only Burzum that has any obvious nationalistic tendencies, and that isn't really incorporated into the music. And yeah, I completely forgot that about Iceland. Had a bit of a brain fart and just went with the first three letters.

Yeah Lordi represented Finland years ago, this is where I first heard of them!
Eternalflames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mfpx)
Yeah, I know most of these.
Zara Larsson, yes, I've seen her at Bråvalla once. Based on your given bands, you might like "Haloo Helsinki!", they're a pop-rock and punk band from... HELSINKI! (who would've guessed!). Listen to Jos Mun Pokka Pettää or
Vapaus käteen jää by Haloo Helsinki!. I'd consider them "beginner's" songs :lol:.
They sing in Finnish, so you likely won't understand a single word, unless you speak Estonian, Finnish or one of the Sami languages (Despite the fact that I speak Northern Sami, I just like their music).
Are you Finnish or Sami yourself? That's so cool!

Eh, of those it's really only Burzum that has any obvious nationalistic tendencies, and that isn't really incorporated into the music. And yeah, I completely forgot that about Iceland. Had a bit of a brain fart and just went with the first three letters.

Yeah Lordi represented Finland years ago, this is where I first heard of them!
I think he meant you're a Nationalist in the sense you mostly listen to British music? :dontknow:
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I think she meant you're a Nationalist in the sense you mostly listen to British music? :dontknow:
Aaahh, I see. The reason I listen to a lot of British music is because

a) a lot of it is really good
b) supporting your own local scene is good. I try to support bands from my area where I can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (22)
25.29%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (25)
28.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (19)
21.84%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (7)
8.05%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (14)
16.09%

Watched Threads