Elsa9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am currently studying adult nursing but was wondering if there are any CPD or short courses you can do once qualifying that will allow you to do both adult and children's nursing?
I chose adult as I heard there is a wider variety of careers, but I do think I'm better with children than the elderly and would quite like to have the option of say working on a children's ward but then later in a&e or WIC.
Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Elsa9)
Hi, I am currently studying adult nursing but was wondering if there are any CPD or short courses you can do once qualifying that will allow you to do both adult and children's nursing?
I chose adult as I heard there is a wider variety of careers, but I do think I'm better with children than the elderly and would quite like to have the option of say working on a children's ward but then later in a&e or WIC.
Thanks
This course allows you to have dual registration, but it is lengthy and you need sponsoring by your NHS Trust. 12-25 mnths to get an additional BSC.

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course...tion-programme
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
and at the moment sponsorship's are rare. concentrate on your adult training try and get some experience in child health then try to convert..
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Elsa9)
Thanks
It is possible to do a conversion course following your degree, however these are highly competitive and there are very few universities which offer these courses.

It may be possible to get some work experience/volunteering in a role which would give you more experience with children, and then to look for an adult nursing role where you would also do children's nursing. It may then be possible to approach a solely children's nursing role as you would have suitable training. It really depends whether you have suitable skills and passion, and whether that particular employer has the resources and desire to train you up. It certainly is not unheard of, for example, I know of a nurse who went straight into paediatric ICU following her adult nursing degree (although this is rare).
Maria Avi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Elsa9)
Thanks
I am a third year adult of nursing student
There is definitely opportunity for you to do CPD short courses that will allow you to do children's nursing when you qualify. A lot of these opportunities will be found at your workplace when you qualify. The only reason why I know this is because I am a masters of nursing student on an A and E department. Most if not all of the nurses working there qualified as adult nurses, However, a lot of them have taken CPD courses (for example in pediatric life support) that mean that they can care for children (only while on the emergency department).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads