Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)
    Call the French arrogant - I'm from Toulouse btw - the Parisians are off the bloody chart!
    If there is one thing I hate more than the english (all in good spirit before someone takes it too seriously ) it's the parisians. They should all be rounded up and shot!
    Nice place paris though
    if you actually joined Paris in the 21st century youre chip-on-shoulder might not be such a problem.

ReputationRep:
    why is this thread in D+D?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    I'm English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    why is this thread in D+D?
    Yeah it should be in GC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    On a related note, the UK should not be in the EU because it is NOT IN EUROPE.
    If we're not in the continent of Europe. Which continent do we belong to? Even Iceland and Greenland are in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Toulouse! Where did you go?
    I stayed in Toulouse overnight last year! There was the whole episode with the bed in the hotel, the hotel tried to make me sleep on this bed thing that was like attached to the wall by a hinge and about 2 foot up, so I refused.

ReputationRep:
    I do wish that the British people would stop going to France too. All they are doing is helping a weaker economy grow. British tourism is worth £££bns per year to the French. But then again, the British economy doesn't need it that much as we are richer than France by a substancial amount, and in the next 10 years or so, we will overtake Germany as the economic superpower of Europe.

That is why France and Germany gang up on little old England - they know that their dominance of the EU is drawing to a close as once we over take Germany as the superpower, they will have little inlfluence on other nations as the EU will depend on our money more than ever before.

Britain has more large businesses than Germany and France put together. And, Britain receives more non-EU investment than the rest of the EU put together. That is because these other nations know where the real action is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    I do wish that the British people would stop going to France too. All they are doing is helping a weaker economy grow. British tourism is worth £££bns per year to the French. But then again, the British economy doesn't need it that much as we are richer than France by a substancial amount, and in the next 10 years or so, we will overtake Germany as the economic superpower of Europe.
    I read a while ago that the guy likely to be the next chancellor of Germany is intent on breaking up the Paris-Berlin cooperation, and start up a London-Berlin focus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I read a while ago that the guy likely to be the next chancellor of Germany is intent on breaking up the Paris-Berlin cooperation, and start up a London-Berlin focus.
    That is probably true, as the Germans are very worried about the closeness of Britain, Italy and Spain. With the growth of the Spanish economy (again, mainly due to the British tourism) and Italy is almost as large as France, combined these 3 nations can excert major influence.

Thanks again for the Gmail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)

That is why France and Germany gang up on little old England - they know that their dominance of the EU is drawing to a close as once we over take Germany as the superpower, they will have little inlfluence on other nations as the EU will depend on our money more than ever before.

Britain has more large businesses than Germany and France put together. And, Britain receives more non-EU investment than the rest of the EU put together. That is because these other nations know where the real action is.
    You conveniently forget that Germany and France are the two net contributors to EU funds. While that status quo is in place, the Uk will remain at the fringes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKS)
    Why do they have no manners?
    they do

ReputationRep:
    I went to a holiday to another city in my country,once in the elevator we met an english man,he started talking to us and he was ,he talked to us about the show that night and joked,he was Extreamly nice with a very good manners,bottom line is: not all of the people are the same,england has like more than 4 millions citizens,again I say you cant judge the whole 4 millions by 2 of them,You can't judge a whole nation by couple of individualities, :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    I went to a holiday to another city in my country,once in the elevator we met an english man,he started talking to us and he was ,he talked to us about the show that night and joked,he was Extreamly nice with a very good manners,bottom line is: not all of the people are the same,england has like more than 4 millions citizens,again I say you cant judge the whole 4 millions by 2 of them,You can't judge a whole nation by couple of individualities, :rolleyes:
    It has close on 50 million subjects, not 4 million citizens there aren't many Scotish and welsh making it up to around 60 million.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly related but it amused me at the time. I was in Paris and at Notre Dame and there was this american couple and the bloke said: Right you do the outside, I'll do the inside

ReputationRep:
    um, i hate to agree with a frenchman but you can spot a certain type of englishman a mile off. they are mainly concentrated around ferry ports and the cheap booze outlets on the other side of the channel.

europe as it is today is a politcal entity, not a geographical one. geographically britain is not in europe, and i dont think it should be politically either - for reasons more complicated than simple geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    geographically britain is not in europe, and i dont think it should be politically either - for reasons more complicated than simple geography.
    So which continent does Britain lie? I'm assuming Ireland and the Isle of Man have to be in the same boat here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    So which continent does Britain lie? I'm assuming Ireland and the Isle of Man have to be in the same boat here.
    No isn't it obvious, Great Britain is quiet clearly on a completely different continent, one that encompasses, erm well Great Britain, and erm, the isle of lundy! yes, its an entirely new plate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    No isn't it obvious, Great Britain is quiet clearly on a completely different continent, one that encompasses, erm well Great Britain, and erm, the isle of lundy! yes, its an entirely new plate!
    LOL. Yes the continent of the British Isles

ReputationRep:
    You conveniently forget that Germany and France are the two net contributors to EU funds. While that status quo is in place, the Uk will remain at the fringes.
    Germany and France are NOT the two most important contributors to the EU. France receives about as much money as it puts in to the EU budget. I've studied EU politics (in France) so I know more or less the whole mechanism of it all. France manages to get a lot of money back thanks to the help to poorer regions (and France has quite a lot, most of the French economy being in Paris and to a lesser degree, Lyon).
    Germany and Britain are without a doubt the two main contributors. Britain used to contribute more or less the same as Germany until Thatcher said she "wanted her money back". It didn't make sense for Britain, being in a recession, being poorer than France and Italy and contributing billions more than these two countries (by the way, southern Italy is extremely poor compared to the average of the EU). So they established a system of reimbursement for Britain so that its contribution would reflect its lesser weight in the EU a little more. Despite this mechanism, Britain remains the second most important net contributor to the EU...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Sarkozy (UMP number 2 and almost certainly the next French president) is openly anglophile and said he wanted to develop the London/Paris relationship.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.